Blenheim IV T1884 105 sqn

Selwyn

Trying to find out the individual aircraft letter of this aircraft that crashed crashed on Harrop Edge at Matley between Mottram and Stalybridge 

While returning from operations against Cologne, the crew flew into extensive low cloud which prevented them from landing at their home station of Swanton Morley in Norfolk. The crew flew NW across England in the hope of finding an airfield at which they could land but were hampered by failure of their radio equipment which prevented them from using radio direction finding. Before a suitable airfield could be found and with the aircraft all but out of the fuel the crew safely abandoned the aircraft which dived into the ground at 00:50 on the 27th November 1940.

I am looking to build a model of this particular Blenheim, the reason being that when sat in my "home office" (read as front small bedroom) the window looks out directly towards Harrop Edge and the field where the abandoned aircraft "arrived" that night is clearly in view, so it seems an appropriate build.

I have looked in all my references including  "Battle axe Blenhiems", but none seem to quote the aircraft letter. so this is my last ditch effort on the identification.

Selwyn

• Like 1

The navigator Tommy Broom went on to have quite a flying career, crashing into electricity pylons and escaping back to the UK, later teaming up with Ivor Broom and becoming known as the flying Brooms.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Squadron-Leader-Tommy-Broom-DFC/dp/1848845820

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clean-Sweep-Marshal-Broom-Bomber/dp/0907579183/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Ivor+broom&qid=1613131185&s=books&sr=1-1

Edited by Gomtuu
Link added

Hi Selwyn,

Possible sources for T1884's individual aircraft letter:

- a photo (too good to be true, I know)

- crew's logbooks but no guarantee you will find the aircraft letter as some airmen did note down the a/c letter with the serial nr but others only mentioned the serial nr.

- Operations Record Book,  again no guarantee but worth a try.  I understand that the National Archives are still offering a free ORB download 

- a copy of the Order of Battle for the operation (might be included in the ORB but better chance to find it in the Station's ORB, though the latter haven't been digitized I think)

You could try and post a request on  RAFCommands, someone there might have the info at hand!

Best of luck and keep us posted please.

Cheers,

Walter

The only other option you might have ( when the National Archives are open again ) is to check the casualty file for T1884, which is AIR81/4348. The pilot of your Blenheim was killed on 9th August, flying a 487 (N.Z.) Squadron Ventura. By then he had reached the rank of Squadron Leader ;  his full name being Edgar Alfred Costello-Bowen. He is buried in Marham Cemetery.