1/72 Academy Boeing B-29 Superfortress - Silverplate (Enola Gay)

22 minutes ago, JWM said:

Does anybody know the story?

My understanding is that these are postwar sorties into Japan, during which this particular aircraft was used to transport supplies and provisions--whether to the occupation forces or the Japanese I don't know.  I do not know the meaning of the red one, which might (I repeat, might) reflect the sole atomic sortie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
23 minutes ago, Robertone139 said:

,I am just curious of why would the Enola Gay be 'infamous'.

Because it was the first use of an atomic weapon in wartime, against a city filled with civilians. Some people still get upset by this.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/20/2022 at 7:37 PM, dogsbody said:

Because it was the first use of an atomic weapon in wartime, against a city filled with civilians. Some people still get upset by this.

Chris

They actually targeted the naval yards.

Perhaps notorious would have been a more appropriate aggettive.

In any case, I saw people on this very forum complaining about Airfix choice of nose art on one of their B-17 releases as it was too risky to propose to children.

So to everyone his/her/whateverelse own.

it's still history.

Edited by Robertone139

• 5 months later...
On 6/23/2022 at 10:31 AM, Robertone139 said:

They actually targeted the naval yards.

No, the aiming point at Hiroshima was the Aioi Bridge, right in the center of the city.  The Atomic Bomb Dome, just across the street from the Hiroshima Carp's baseball stadium, was only very slightly north of actual ground zero.  Hiroshima didn't possess notable naval yards (that was Kure, just up the coast a small bit), but certainly had some very important military targets in it: 2nd General Army HQ as well as rail lines vital to a defense of Kyushu. However they were not the aiming point.

You might be thinking of Nagasaki, where the Mitsubishi Steel Works and Nagasaki Arsenal were targeted.

• Like 2

Outstanding model, great NMF finish on such a big aircraft and excellent result on a difficult kit. Just a slight (and constructive I hope) critic, no offense here, the very end part of the glazed nose section is slightly offset to the left side, the top framing should match the one of the rear part of the cockpit frame (see last photo). Nothing difficult to correct.... or may be I am too picky! 

On 2/20/2021 at 12:43 PM, JWM said:

Great artist(ic)  paint work!  :) 

I think that Enola Gay in Smithonian Museum (I was lucky to see her there in 2006) is better polished then when it was operating in war time, still the surface was mirroring as one can see on photos from Tinian,  so was pretty shining as you did it. I would expect small weathering since she came to service on 19th May 1945. So it was in field for less than two and half months in early August 1945. 

BTW - in Wikipedia there is a photo on nose section from museum storage in 1987 with some cartoon-hero-like black figures below cockpit. 

1280px-Enola_0079.jpg

There are four of them and perhaps the traces of a red fifths one. Are there sorties symbols and the red one is for A-bomb? On photos from Tinian I do not see them...Neither on current display .  Does anybody know the story?

Regards

J-W

This is from Dr. Jeremy Kinney curator of the Air & Space Museum for military aviation 1919 to 1945.  "Every square inch of the duralumin surface has been polished. The engines have been completely overhauled, and the propellers," Kinney said. "It had some fat men painted under the pilots’ windows to indicate the Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Bikini missions. Those were taken off because the decision was to restore it to a particular moment [before Hiroshima]."  This explains the painted first three figures, but there are two outlines not filled in that I haven't a clue about.

This is a great representation of a famous aircraft that changed history.  The debate (as evidenced by referring to this aircraft as infamous) about the change it made still rages.  Just from a perspective of a combat experienced foot soldier (grunt really), the task of invading the Japanese mainland and fighting on it as the alternative would have been daunting and the percentage of those that would never come back on both sides would have been far worse.  I doubt, if I was a first wave participant, I would have survived the entire campaign.  The odds would have been stacked too high.  I barely survived the police action I took part in.  Well done on your excellent build and painting.  If the metallic finish gave you fits and appeared to not be as polished as you would have liked, fear not.  From Dr. Kinney's comments above, it appears the surface of the aircraft prior to restoration looked like your presentation of the surface.  The polished mirror finish was the result of the restoration done on the aircraft.  Thanks for sharing.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, PATRICK FROM THE SANDS said:

Outstanding model, great NMF finish on such a big aircraft and excellent result on a difficult kit. Just a slight (and constructive I hope) critic, no offense here, the very end part of the glazed nose section is slightly offset to the left side, the top framing should match the one of the rear part of the cockpit frame (see last photo). Nothing difficult to correct.... or may be I am too picky! 

Yea , i noticed that too . 😬

• 3 weeks later...