Nagato, 1:700, Fujimi

Greetings!

This took a while, but it's finally done. I took interest in naval subjects a couple of years ago, and bought this one as my first "real" ship kit. When it arrived, I was quickly discouraged from starting it due to it being surprisingly small, and all those little photo-etch parts looked intimidating. So first I built a Zvezda 1:350 Z-17 as a bit of a training, and a couple of plane models to familiarize myself with airbrushing. After finishing the Stuka I just posted, I finally got around to starting this one last spring, and due to world events, I even had time for hobbies.

All in all, this was very much a learning experience. I've never worked with PE before, and the scale was a challenge as well. It was also hard figure out in which order to assemble and paint parts. When to attach certain PE parts, when to glue superstructures on, etc.

The kit was, at least to my limited experience, pretty great. Nice detail, not much cleaning to do, and a lot of PE included, all at a affordable price. Instructions were a bit of problem, though, especially for the PE.

Paints are mostly Tamiya Acrylics, with some enamels thrown in. Painted mostly with a old Paasche double action. Weathering is Tamiya panel liners and oil paints. Rigging is Uschi's Rig that Thing, normal and fine. First try with that as well.

The stand in the couple first pictures is a Trumpeter one, which I modified with those wood bits, trying to go for a keel block-ish look. Not very happy, though. The mirror is plastic, and it got scratched to oblivion when i glued the wood pieces on. Might replace it at some point.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rough paint on some places, some AA-guns look blocky, and a couple of PE-bits went flying, but other than that I'm pretty happy with her. And addiction to warship models has certainly started to develop, which is bad news for my stash of unbuilt planes and cars.

Any comments & criticism are welcome, as always!

• Like 27

Very nice, and very good rigging for 1/700 s well. Some people over-weather ship kits but that looks just right. One suggestion for the future - replace jack staffs and stern staffs with fine brass rod, kit parts are always too thick.

Good base too - maybe stain the wood blocks to make them look more in scale?

• Like 1

Gidday, that's a superb model of the ship. I think I agree with TBJ above, stain the wood blocks. I would mount the ship on it's blocks on a wood base rather than on a mirror, I find the double image can be a bit distracting, but that's just personal choice. It's a very good build. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1