Do217N-1 Coded +FM?

Crimea River

I'm about to launch into a 1/48 D0217N-1 using the Revell E-4 kit and the Koster conversion set. The Koster set includes decals for two schemes, one of which shows an N-1 of "NJG-1" in overall RLM 76 with 75 blotches on the upper surfaces and with the code "FM" in black letters after the fuselage Balkenkreuz. I've been wondering if this is a legitimate scheme, given that I've not found a single pic of this aircraft on the net and in 3 publications on the Do217 that I have. The profile says "NJG-1", but does not give a Gruppe or Staffel description and there are also no code letters provided for application before the Balkenkreuz, large or small. As far as I know, the "M" would indicate a 2 Gruppe machine in which case the "F" would be white but I also know that this marking method was not always followed. I have also read that II/NJG1 operated Do217 nightfighters, so the scheme does have that going for it.

Does anyone have any info to confirm or deny the existence of this particular aircraft? A pic would be great!

Incidentally, the other offered scheme is an all-black J which I'm not interested in doing. However, I have found a photo of this scheme.

The ICM kit seems to have a scheme with similar markings, namely "SM" in black, but with different paintwork and tiny Geschwader code. Possibly Bill Koster had to work from a single photo where the Geschwader code was obscured by wing or tail? Does not really help, I know...

The 4./NJG 1, the 4./NJG 3, and the 4./NJG 5 had a number of Do 217Ns, with incidents from April through the end of May 1943.  The Dornier was sluggish, but had the advantage of great endurance (fuel capacity).

Your "FM" could be made into WNr.51462, "G9+FM" of Johannes HAGER, WIA 30.May 1943, landed on fire at Florennes, the machine was a total loss.  He was later awarded the Ritterkreuz for his (48) successes at night.

Another notable choice could be "3c+CC of the II/NJG 5 in which Rudolf SCHÖNERT achieved the first 'Schrage Musik' victory (Lancaster W4931 of 207 Sq) on 30.March 1943, NW of Rerik, West of Rostock.  His radio operator, Fw. Johannes RICHTER, was also a later recipient of the Ritterkreuz.

There's a photo (in one of Middlebrook's volumes) of Hptm. Horst Baer's WNr.51493 "D5+EM" of the 4./NJG 3 following his emergency landing 3.August 1943 4 km south of Rantum/Sylt, near Westerland, after being hit by a night-intruder Mosquito of 418 Sq.  These have pale camouflage, and in the case of WNr.51493, the spinner appears to be white (the Staffel color).

Good luck with your build, GRM

• Like 1

Thanks GRM. So what's your thought on the solid black letter F?  Seems it should maybe be white with black outline?

I will have a look for the pic of the last option you mention as I prefer to model subjects that I can actually see!  I may end up making my own codes with masks.

CR and George,

I have an image is of the machine in question: Do217N-1, "D5+FM", 4./NJG3, pos. WNr.51462, in-flight, Denmark 1943. Lord knows where it was sourced from. I cannot post here as I do not use a hosting service but can send via email. Drop me a PM above.

Obviously it is a rather scruffy looking aircraft and probably an early N-1 based on the old B1-style fuselage Balkenkreuz.  Though the image is poor, some thoughts can be extended regarding its camouflage. It was originally painted with RLM76 undersides and fuselage side, and solid RLM75 uppersurfaces. This scheme must have been considered unsuitable for operational conditions and was modified at the unit level with large dark patches on the uppersurfaces (RLM74 or RLM22?). The fuselage sides are heavily mottled, possibly with RLM75.  An enlarged view appears to show fine interconnecting irregular lines possibly of RLM76 that form a sort of 'web' pattern. The "F" has a lighter tone than the "M" and shares similarities with "D5+FM" of the same Staffel. What colour the code is is unknown, but to me looks too dark to be RLM77 "Hellgrau".  A strange beast indeed.

Best of luck with your build

• Like 1