Help - I've got the post Tamiya 1/32 blues !

Stakka

Hi, hope this finds you all safe and well.

After a 9 .....yes 9 😳... year gap I'm returning to modelling....... I did completely do up a Victorian house in the meantime though.

But I'm a little unsure, and if anything rather underwhelmed about what there is to build. I'm a 1/32 fan and a total Tamiya fan boy having built their Phantom and then the much praised Spitfire and F16 Falcon kits. The latter two in particular I found very enjoyable indeed, resulting in builds I'm very proud of. More-so, and maybe it's being a Mechanical Engineer, I really appreciated the build quality and fit of the kits. Totally frustration free and just the right amount of detail - in my eyes a dream to build.

So I naturally google "Tamiya 1/32 aircraft" but the kits they have released in the meantime aren't quite doing it for me. The Mosquito is nice but a bit big and I do like my jets, the Mustang might remind me a bit too much of the Spitfire build and visually the Corsairs and Zeros .... well they seem to lack something - .I did build a Trumpeter Dauntless SBD as I liked the extra detail - cockpit, airbrakes etc. I dunno, maybe I'm just being spoilt having liked the Spit and F-16 so much 😀

There are the older Tamiya 1/32 Grey jets but will they be as accurate as the later models? I have started looking at other makes as typical birds I like are the Panavia Tornado, Typhoon, maybe the Eng Elec Lightening - but so far I've not seen a review which gives me confidence about the quality of the kits, but I admit I might be over thinking it all.

So any thoughts / suggestions or reassurances of other makes to help me overcome my obvious Tamiya bias would be greatly appreciated..... or make my day and tell me Tamiya are about to release a jet I really like 🤣.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Stakka
  • Like 1

Italeri has just released a new Tornado. It is a significant improvement upon the older Revell kit. Lots of options for flaps, slats, speed brakes and thrust reversers. Their F-104 is a nice kit as well as the F-35. They're not prefect but seem to go together well. At least mine have. 

If you're looking for interior details, you can't go wrong with Zoukei Mura. Their earlier kits can be a bit fiddly with regards to fit but the more recent ones are much improved. Some come with a clear fuselage which folks don't always like. 

For something different, I just built the Miniart Triebflugel and it went together very nicely. 

Hope that helps. 

Carl

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fifer54 said:

Have you looked into Zoukei-Mura?

In 1/32 scale they tend to stick to WW2 aircraft, but the quality is superb.

Hey great call, I've never heard of them but a quick google and their Sky Raider immediately caught my eye. Plenty of detail / looks (folded wings add some interest) and I like the colour scheme. That's gone straight on my shortlist - thank you ! 

13 minutes ago, FG2Si said:

Italeri has just released a new Tornado. It is a significant improvement upon the older Revell kit. Lots of options for flaps, slats, speed brakes and thrust reversers. Their F-104 is a nice kit as well as the F-35. They're not prefect but seem to go together well. At least mine have. 

If you're looking for interior details, you can't go wrong with Zoukei Mura. Their earlier kits can be a bit fiddly with regards to fit but the more recent ones are much improved. Some come with a clear fuselage which folks don't always like. 

For something different, I just built the Miniart Triebflugel and it went together very nicely. 

Hope that helps. 

Carl

Thank you - I did see the Italeri Tornado and there is a thread lower down on here about it which gave a balanced review. When I initially saw prices at £140 what I would be worried about is constantly comparing it to the Tamiya F-16 build quality if it didn't quite come up to scratch, but now I see prices for around £100 which is a bit better. I'm sure it is a jump up from the Revell kits though - which I have previously built 2 off. So yes, I'll add it to the short list as I have real affection for the Tornado.

And nice to see another mention of Zoukei - I really went off the modelling radar for the past 9 years and am pleased they have been mentioned.

Cheers

Well:

I built lots of propeller aircraft from Zukei Mura, Tamiya, Trumpeter, Eduard and others in 1/32 scale. So the ZM kits are far-out better than Tamiya. More detail. The engines and other details are from soft plastic. Care has to be taken on instructions. I improved some of them. Trumpeter is not so bad too. Eduard is somehow basic. Revell is a copy and paste company, you never knows what the origin of the kit is.

Please do not get lost in aftermarket. I think it is another way to build the same model twice and improve it by yourself!

In jets I have no clue at all in present days.

So, happy modelling