Hasegawa 1/72 RF-4C "Starize"

In between other builds, I was slowly getting this together along with another F-4G which is waiting patiently for some attention.

Nice to have this finally completed.

RF-4C 68-0567 "Starize" 1st TRS 10th TFW RAF Alconbury 1986

I've used the Hasegawa 1/72 RF-4B which includes all the varying small parts that allowed me to complete it as the RF-4C.

I've also added the ARN-101 antenna which this aircraft carried, from thin plasticard.
Used the Xtradecal sheet X72010 which was another old decal sheet where all the decals individually need cleaning of degraded carrier film scum, much like with old Modeldecal sheets.
Obligatory Master brass pitot.
Hataka acrylic paints & Vallejo Metal Colour paints & used the Ammo Mig panel line washes.

50929478126_7ec5d628eb_k.jpg

50928794518_17612466fa_k.jpg

50929603817_4fdc60e724_k.jpg

50928794453_7d29f1e7be_k.jpg

50928794393_551d8ec988_k.jpg

50929478101_ab6c56091c_k.jpg

50929478081_8b6ddddad6_k.jpg

50928794263_f5b3938fe1_k.jpg

50928794223_46e5b3aa6f_k.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Martin

• Like 39

Beautiful Alconbury RF-4C and really do like this scheme. I built this one myself from the Hasegawa 1/48th kit some years ago and this brings back some good memories of that. Also spent many hours at end of the Alconbury runway in my younger days, so saw this one a few times.

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parabat said:

Verh nice, the European One scheme looks best on Phantoms and A-10s. Top notch.

Cheers mate, totally agree! I've got the same paints ready for a Woodbridge A-10. Just waiting for some decent decals to come off the printing press!

3 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Very nice work!  The long-nosed Phantom in particular looks great in the Euro 1 scheme I think and you've done an excellent job on yours - well done

Many thanks indeed! Got the primer on a Spang F-4G so that will be the next Euro 1 scheme bird off the production line!

5 hours ago, Peter W said:

Beautiful Alconbury RF-4C and really do like this scheme. I built this one myself from the Hasegawa 1/48th kit some years ago and this brings back some good memories of that. Also spent many hours at end of the Alconbury runway in my younger days, so saw this one a few times.

Pete

Cheers Peter!

I wish I had been there! Good times to go back to when time machines become available! I understand bases didn't have those ridiculously high fences back then, & Alconbury was very popular for spotters. For me building these models makes up for all the spotting I missed out on when I was younger.

A lovely build and a great livery - I always did like the look of 'Starize'.  From the photos it could easily be 1/48th given the level of detail.  Superb - well done!

Mark

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jens said:

Nice job! You forgot to attach the front parts of the nose inlets though.

Jens

:yikes: Oohnoo! Thanks Jens, shhhhh don't tell everybody!

I will have to rectify that now! How on earth did I miss that!

Cheers mate!

Martin

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Cheers! You could be as young as I am, I would have been 12 when this was at Alconbury! Healthy age to start spotting!

Oh no I'm well older than that! I first used to go and stand in the fields behind Alconbury (really Great Stukeley) for the runway approaches in the Vietnam war era :)