Help! Interior Color IL-2 'Cementer' Cockpit and Gear Wells

Tokyo Raider

Hi Guys-

I need your help again...  I am looking to start the Tamiya IL2 'Cementer' as the Germans Called it for its ability to take hits and keep fighting...  a true combat airplane!

What is the CORRECT interior color for the Arrow-Wing IL-2?

Findings:

1) The Tamiya Kit Calls out RLM Grey XF22 (Which is more of a blending between RLM66 and RLM02) and outward appearance is more of a Grey color like a Russian A14 Steel Grey...

2) Some Eduard IL2 Kits Call out C60 Which is TRUE Luftwaffe RLM 02 Green/Grey.

3) Light Blue AMT-7.  The Quinta IL2 Cockpit Kit Has Parts in the AMT7 Light Blue.

4) Eduard Pre Painted PE Kits have the Inside parts Lt Blue.

5) Recent Eduard 'Look' instrument panel is in RLM02 Grey.

So looks like choices are RLM02, A-14 Steel Grey, or Lt. Blue AMT-7.  What is the correct color?

Thanks!

• Confused 1

The default would be A-14 Steel Grey.   

Other call out are for kits paints, and RLM02 is not a VVS colour.

Eduard are notorious for getting the pre-painted PE the wrong colour.   Quinta may know more, being Russian.

The chap for this though is @Learstang

• Like 1

I've been using Vallejo 'dark gull grey' as a substitute for A-14 on my last couple of VVS builds.  I feel it's close enough.  It's also useful as an RLM75 alternative, but that's a topic for another thread.  

Like Troy says, I think RLM02 - assuming the suggestion was to use it as a substitute for A-14 - would be way off.

• Like 1

I agree with Troy. Rightly or wrongly, I used straight Tamiya XF-82 RAF Ocean Grey as I saw this to be close to various descriptions of the colour. Pics are of my Accurate Miniatures arrow wing.

20052501-jpg.582874

20101004-jpg.597779

• Like 1

CR, that looks like a good colour for the A-14 Steel Grey (and very nice work on that Il-2 - which kit is it?). What I use is Testors Model Master Neutral Gray enamel. If you are going with the grey for the interior (which is the safest bet), including the wheel wells, one thing to remember about the Soviet colour Steel Grey is that it was a dead-neutral grey. There was no green, nor blue in it. I've actually seen real pieces of the paint, and whatever the exact tone was 70 plus years ago, it appears to have been a very neutral grey hue - just black and white, with no hint of other colours. RLM02 is far too green for a realistic A-14. I hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Small change.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Learstang said:

CR, that looks like a good colour for the A-14 Steel Grey (and very nice work on that Il-2 - which kit is it?). What I use is Testors Model Master Neutral Gray enamel. If you are going with the grey for the interior (which is the safest bet), including the wheel wells, one thing to remember about the Soviet colour Steel Grey is that it was a dead-neutral grey. There was no green, nor blue in it. I've actually seen real pieces of the paint, and whatever the exact tone was 70 plus years ago, it appears to have been a very neutral grey hue - just black and white, with no hint of other colours. RLM02 is far too green for a realistic A-14. I hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason-  I will go and use a Neutral Grey!  The A14 Steel Grey from Model Air is Much darker and I tried to match that...  I will change to the XF53 looking Neutral Grey for more builds...

• Like 1

You're welcome! I thought it was the 1/48 AM kit, but I wanted to make certain - excellent work on it - very nice interior! You even have the yellow line for the fuel tank - very nice. You're welcome, also, TR - I'm always glad to help someone who's building an Il-2. The Tamiya kit is a lovely kit (actually kits, since they do them in both 1/72nd and 1/48th scales). Which scale are you doing?

Best Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

The wheel rims are a medium green (a colour which the Russian Air Force uses to this day for at least some of their wheel rims). It may have been some sort of steel primer, but it seems to have been used on just about every wheel rim on every Soviet warplane from the Second World War. I use Testors MM Medium Green for it (for at least as long as my supply lasts, as Rustoleum have seen fit to run down the Testors paint line, or at least the enamels). I would think just about any medium green colour would do.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Thanks Jason...  i was suggested humbrol 105 green and used it on a mig3.  It looks like soviet wheel green...  so i will on the il2.  I saw a callout for black and thought that was wrong

• Like 1