Spitfire HF Mk.VIII, No.80 Fighter Wing, RAAF, Dutch East Indies, 1945...Eduard 1/72nd scale...

I know from experience that this kit will actually build well, the parts fitting as they should and give me modelling satisfaction.

50929418542_35d5ed7ff2_c_d.jpg

And here is the very pretty profile...

50928609803_72da995edb_c_d.jpg

I will begin this evening.

--John

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Having built several of them

Thanks Dennis...me too.  There are some quirks, as you say, but nothing that doesn't actually fit properly.

8 hours ago, Andwil said:

the Mk VIII is the best looking of the breed IMO.

Thanks AW!

After a spritz of primer I snipped off the relevant pieces for the cockpit and given them their appropriate colours.  

50937937491_748db6334a_c_d.jpg

Some assembly, some dry-brush aluminum to highlight some detail, a few pieces of the PE set.  I won't be using all the PE, but so far I have used almost all that has been asked for.

50937937481_b3cfcc8dce_c_d.jpg

Assembly is easy as all the pieces fit together well and I only needed to carefully remove some of the paint from the connecting areas.  It is, as we all know, a tight fit!

50938045972_e03330329d_c_d.jpg

And it fits right into the fuselage half cleanly, clearly and without any fuss or blue language!

50938045927_aa5c851352_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 6

17 hours ago, John Masters said:

Thanks Tony.  Where can I see your build?

Mine is here John,..... see attached,.... yours is coming along nicely;

Cheers,

Tony

While the cockpit was settling into the fuselage half I constructed the multi-piece wing interior and wheel wells.

50949382972_01434e713d_c_d.jpg

Now...the fuselage halves are together with nary a seam; the top of the cowling is together; the wing is ready to be made whole.

50949283626_abe2cbee27_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 2

I have neglected this thread a bit...I have made some progress, little things that add up.  I installed the multi-piece air scoops on the underside...some PE in there, btw.  I have filled in small gaps through out the aircraft with PPP.   I am sorry to not document each move.  That, for me, is impossible.  

50984994382_9fe5e43e82_c_d.jpg

I have added the guns and the aerial.  At this stage, any work or movement of the model requires some care so I don't snap anything off!  I have found, however, that it is best to add these pieces before priming as a matter of consistency.  

50984885056_43d7b02b1d_c_d.jpg

These are some small pieces that have yet to be attached.  The undercarriage pieces will be assembled separately and all these pieces, along

with the prop and spinner (not shown) will be painted and then attached to the kit.  

50984885096_f9e3fed96a_c_d.jpg

At this point I am ready to mask the cockpit and prime the aircraft.  

--John

• Like 6

Just looking at the colour chart for the Grey Nurse...two different greens, three different greys, light blue, white...red spinner.  Disruptive visual mix for sure.  I'm confused already.  Not really.

50989482101_97187417fd_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ray S said:

You are getting on well with this one. I have still to enjoy the experience of one of these kits, but, hopefully in time...

It is a great colour scheme.

Thanks Ray.  They really are superb kits.  I imagine the 1/48th scale options are just as good if not better. 

Here's a better shot of the Sky Blue bits...

51006347481_ab03a5e241_c_d.jpg

I have masked the underside and I will start with the Sea Grey topside flowed by the Dark Green.  Note how the masking tape runs around the tail...behind the aerial area will be RAAF Dark Grey and the Dark Green that is more SEA in tone--bluish, really.  Very complex painting job.

51006453247_e69c42dd50_c_d.jpg

I have already painted the underside with Medium Sea Grey and have masked off the small areas that will remain that colour.

51006347501_d2d72d3e3a_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 3

The front half of the aircraft is masked, including the canopy pieces.  

51008320986_0caa9a3fea_c_d.jpg

Looking ahead...this will be a tricky bit of masking and painting once I get the RAAF colours in the paint shop ready fro the rear half.  The original RAF roundels were over painted with the RAAF Grey and Forest Green where the Sea Grey and RAF Green would be, but only the outer ring.  I will have to make some round masks and attempt this persnickety detail.  Tricky...subtle...

51008320951_cfcafa11f3_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Andwil said:

Tricky masking makes up for a lack of rigging on a Spitfire 😁

Very funny...and true!  Like the Israeli FrankenSpits or the Maltese Mk.V with the strange paints.  

Speaking of which, even though I am not able to order from the Big Yellow Store anymore, I notice that they have some new Seafire kits

from KP waiting in the wings.  The KP site does not have them listed, however.  They look like Mk.V aircraft actually.  I like the 

USA Spits from Operation Torch with this big stars on them...very nice.

• Like 1

A little RAF Green went on the morning.  The canopy frames and the forward fuselage/wing sections.  Don;t worry folks...I won't forget the iconic white leading edges!

They'll be added towards the end...

51010987423_50ae071083_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

Wing roundel masks drawn...

51015227996_2c7275c2eb_c_d.jpg

Cut out an attached to where the profile says they go...

51015317257_0bd7268894_c_d.jpg

And the 'jungle' green, aka Vallejo Model Air Olive Green is on.  Ha d terrible the with the airbrush again with another Vallejo green colour.  Thinned it...no good...ajdusted the psi...no good.  Spitting, popping, drying too quickly or not fast enough...In the end I used a very soft square brush.  I'll be able to airbrush the  RAAF Dark Grey easily I  predict.  It's the greens that cause me the problems...

51015227931_22a53d5535_c_d.jpg

Any solutions for my paint problems--other than a new brand...?

--John

• Like 2