1/72 Airfix Strikemaster in RNZAF colours

A few progress shots. Filling mainly done & pretty much ready for some paint. Looking a lot more Blunty like,

DSCF3186

DSCF3185

& then the bottom side colour on, a couple of coats to cover the filling but looking promising. The colours are the ones I'm going to use, most photos of these show a fairly faded lighter green which Hu 86 better represents to my eye.

DSCF3189

I've masked to demarcation line between top & bottom colours since this, now to decide how I approach that. Something to think about at work tonight. :)

Steve.

• Like 8

Making good progress but running out of time too I think, it'll be close. The last couple of days have see me get some colour on, why oh why did I choose a three colour camo in a GB. :unsure:

The first & hardest was the tan colour, I did look at drawing lines but that didn't seem to be getting me anywhere so in the end I did like I did on a Aggressor F-16 some years ago, thinned the paint well with lighter fluid & using a #2 brush freehanded the shapes into place. The fact that while the Airfix colour diagram was roughly right the side & plane views didn't match that well so I fell back on a couple of colour photos I found online for the left side, a small black & white photo I also found for the right side & funnily enough, a big help were some clear photos of a diecast one that, once I sorted out where it wasn't quite right, probably copying the Airfix diagram, :shrug: was clear & easy to follow, the camo shapes are approximations of what the real thing had as best I could do them but I don't think they're too far wrong.

DSCF3191

DSCF3192

DSCF3193

The greens were easier to get on once I'd got the tan on, I made a booboo with the mid green on one wing but was able to fix it with the darker green, There is still some touch ups & another coat of each colour to do but all being equal, I might just sneak it in.

Steve.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Hi Steve,  Do you need a copy of the Sword colour pages - or stick with what you've done?

I can photo, and PM them to you if they'll help.

I'll  probably stick with what I have Tim, but thanks for the offer. As I'm seeing it it is not too far off, I did look at the Sword diagram online & got more confused. I've been using it for interior colours etc anyway. Maybe I'll have another look at it tonight when I'm home, just in case. ;)

Steve.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I did look at the Sword diagram online & got more confused

Hi Steve,

I believe the Sword is based on a "Restored" Airframe based in Europe,

and at best can be best described as "Non RNZAF Regulation" (i.e read Bogus),

which would lend to the confusion

FWIW, I have to looked at the Sword Diagram and looked at RNZAF Blunty Schemes

and they are different.

My ten cents worth

Regards

Alan

The last few days have been a bit of a panic, too much pressure to take progress shots, this is what I ended up with.

DSCF3194

It is not a great kit & the decals gave me some conniptions along the way. Had I not given them all a coat of MS Liquid Decal film, I reckon I'd have been in strife with them. All in all I'm happy enough with it given the lack of time I seem to find for modelling these days. :(  More in the Gallery.

Steve.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

this is what I ended up with.

Hi Steve,

That is one fine looking Blunty - One to be proud of I think :D

Thanks for sharing your build with us.

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

That’s come up very nicely Steve and looks extremely close to the real image in the backdrop. Two big ticks from me mate. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1