Simple print out cockpit interiors

AlexB

Many many years ago, it must have been around 1984, I built an Airfix Harrier GR.3 and used a printed paper cockpit interior that had come free with one of the modelling magazines, along with others; I recall Spitfire and Me109 also being on the sheet.

As a simple budget option it was fabulous (at the time!) and I'm really still into modelling on the cheap, is anything like that available to download and home print?

thanks all!

Gosh thats a blast from the past!  I had forgotten all about those until you wrote the OP.  Not bad for their day but boy have things moved on.  I am not sure that type of product is around now but expensive 3d decals do appear to be making an appearance.  If they get cheaper as the tech improves who knows?  Cant think of anything like the old paper colour panels you were mentioning but no doubt some might have something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baggers said:

The magazine was Modelaid, which became Air Forces International.

Not sure if there are any of these types of product around nowadays though.

ModelAid!! wow, what a memory!!

Knowing me the remains of the sheet is in a box in the loft somewhere!

I'm really into back to basics, budget modelling when it comes to model railways, and I want to continue that in the aircraft stuff I do. 

Some of the amazing models I see on here are incredible, but they've cost a good few quid in extras such as etched details and resin seats etc.

I'm like, "What can I make for a fiver?"!!

22 hours ago, tempestfan said:

I have a random couple of those Modelaids bought at MilSlides in Summer '91 somewhere upstairs - IIRC one contains a Hurricane, but not sure if the others do and if so, what. In case it interests you, I could try hunting them down.

Thanks but I've no particular need for anything right now, I was just wondering if the concept had been translated to the digital age in the way that the card model building kits for model railways had evolved into downloadable kits.

I have an ancient Hasegawa Harrier I got out to pinch a decal from, and the spartan cockpit in that got me thinking!

Nearest I can find is these ancient BMW labelled sets in 1/48th and 1/32nd being dumped for a very short song by Hannants:  https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=7946&code=&product_type_id=&scale_id=&keyword_search=&setPerPage=25&currency_id= .

Just instrument panels, nothing else.

I have a set in 1/72nd somewhere I think, can't remember for what (info dumped from RAM the instant I saw that they were no longer mustard-cutters).

Paul.

• Like 1

I made this up for my 1/48 Mosquito XIII conversion.  I found an image of the Mosquito IP and scanned it using my Inkjet at home. I enhanced the image with Paint to sharpen pen up the instruments, cropped the image tight and printed to scale on glossy label paper.  Cut out, stick on and done.  Looks ok under the canopy..

46869872355_49615069f9.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Alex,

there are instrument panels and cockpit side panels available here on Britmodeller for a selection of Swedish Cold War jets. One of our Swedish members (Bjorn perhaps) created and shared them. You can either print on paper or on decal paper.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

I made this up for my 1/48 Mosquito XIII conversion.  I found an image of the Mosquito IP and scanned it using my Inkjet at home. I enhanced the image with Paint to sharpen pen up the instruments, cropped the image tight and printed to scale on glossy label paper.  Cut out, stick on and done.  Looks ok under the canopy..

46869872355_49615069f9.jpg

Brilliant! I'm going to have to have a go on which ever rubbish old kit I attempt next!

I'll share any useful interiors I produce on here!

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

Brilliant! I'm going to have to have a go on which ever rubbish old kit I attempt next!

I'll share any useful interiors I produce on here!

No not really brilliant but it’s an OK cheat

Same technique used in the old tooling Airfix 1/72 Gladiator.  I had to cut out the moulded in pilot to scratch build a cockpit..

48930192218_6fd2f1a034.jpg

• Like 1