Help... mix formula for AMT-1 Grey Brown

Tokyo Raider

Hi guys...  hope some of you have some equivalent mix formulas for AMT-1.  This is a Russian color in ww2 on a Il-2 cammo that appears to be like a stone/buff color.

I hope to get a mix formula for Mr. Color system if possible.   Thanks if you can help!

4 hours ago, spitfire said:

Here is a very long and interesting thread on VVS colours, should be something in here for you.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis...  alot of confusion in what the colors should be.  

I just need a formula, if one exists, to try and mix up Mr Color to match AMT-1.  I did get the AMT1 in model air, and can try and match that, but it is really washed out and not like i see this color represented elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, Crimea River said:

Not Mr. Colour but I ended up, for Tamiya, with 6XF-19 + 5XF-2 + 1XF-52 but I think it's still a bit light:

20101903-jpg.598858

Wow!  But that is really close to the real color.  I agree maybe a pinch too light but super close to the color I have in Model Air.  Now I am trying to get that tan color in Mr Color...  But if I fail, I will use your mix for Tamiya...  Is your interior also a Neutral grey?  XF53?

18 minutes ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Wow!  But that is really close to the real color.  I agree maybe a pinch too light but super close to the color I have in Model Air.  Now I am trying to get that tan color in Mr Color...  But if I fail, I will use your mix for Tamiya...  Is your interior also a Neutral grey?  XF53?

Thanks for that. There were many a mix that were dumped into the trash. It's a tough colour to achieve with mixing.

I answered your other thread on interior colours but I used XF-82 for the cockpit and wheel wells.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys...  Need Urgent help today so I can paint this in 6 hours!.  I am thinking this is too light for the AMT-1 Light Brown.  It is Model Air AMT-1 straight from plastic squeeze bottle.  I painted this last night and then added the green and it really made the AMT1 Tan look SUPER TOO LIGHT.  Look at the canopy, that is the tan that model air had.  It is way lighter than you guys use and this cant be right?  Can it?

spacer.png

This kept me up all night trying to figure out what to do.  I don't like this color and will try and mix a lighter version of C310 as some suggested and it will give me a light tan.  This looks far too washed out and I would see this big contrast in B&W photos and I don't see this much contrast on Il2's.

I need to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

I will mix it up in Mr Color, but this isnt milky coffee.  This is all cream and a pinch of coffee!

35 minutes ago, Crimea River said:

My impression based on what I see on my screen is that it's not necessarily too light but maybe too much on the grey side.

Hi CR-  Yes, My Goal is to mix something like you got but a pinch darker.  I have FS30219 and will lighten it up.  I was looking for confirmation that this color is not accurate...

19 minutes ago, Massimo Tessitori said:

All the chips based on the Nakrasok Alboom (Akan etc) are much much greyer than the 30219. I know that the color is controversal but that one is very out of range.

Hi Massimo...  i know they are greyish and very light and i have been going crazy looking at this...  I started looking at black and white photos of il2's and i dont see any where there appears to be a light grey with very large contrast between cammo colors.  So clearly it seems no one knows for sure.  I was going much lighter than fs30219, but still staying the milky coffee color...

The darkness is controversial, the brown bands seem light on the wooden parts of Il-2s built in factory 1 and on all the planes in factory 30, while they are blurried and confused in planes of Zavod 18... I don't know why.

From the photo of your model, I have the impression that both colors are too light, but I could be wrong.  Maybe you could add a bit of black and brown directly in the bottle, after some tests.  I haven't a good recipe for now. Kari Lumppio says that Revell 87  is a fair match compared to the Nakrasok. 

3 hours ago, Massimo Tessitori said:

The darkness is controversial, the brown bands seem light on the wooden parts of Il-2s built in factory 1 and on all the planes in factory 30, while they are blurried and confused in planes of Zavod 18... I don't know why.

From the photo of your model, I have the impression that both colors are too light, but I could be wrong.  Maybe you could add a bit of black and brown directly in the bottle, after some tests.  I haven't a good recipe for now. Kari Lumppio says that Revell 87  is a fair match compared to the Nakrasok. 

Thanks again Massimo...  and thanks for the great resources you have assembled.  This is under florescent light, so the colors look washed out a little.  This green is good and slightly darker than the model air amt4 color.  It was the c303 that Eduard calls out for AMT4.  I am satisfied with it.  This is first light coat before i stopped to fix the tan color...

Ok Guys...  thanks for the help...  i mixed up the amt1 and tried to match CRs light brown and some box art that was a light milky coffee brown.  I posted the finished model on RFI.  thanks for all the help!

More on the AMT -1 Mix I did and why I chose it so light.  I try and reference actual photos of the plane I am making.  Here is the right side of the IL-2 and Note the Rudder.  According to Tamiya color cammo this rudder is AMT-1 Light Tan,  This airplane has a diagonal YELLOW stripe as visible in the photo.  If AMT1 was like a dark earth, the Yellow stripe would match the contrast of the dark earth.  However, here it appears darker than the AMT-1, which is consistent with the 'milky coffee' color others have suggested.  So I tried to go light enough that this would have a contrast to the Yellow diagonal stripe and got me to the light tan color.  This is also about what CR posted here earlier.  I just thought I would post this for others wondering where this story ended up.

spacer.png

Here is the Color of AMT1 I mixed by lightening up FS30219 with flat white.  Note the Yellow Stripe appears darker than the AMT1.  More photos of this IL-2 are on the RFI post.  This photo is under florescent light and tends to make the colors lighter than in the display case under more natural light.

spacer.png

Here is a photo in my display case of my Russian WW2 Build so far...  This is under more natural light and you can see the Colors appear darker.  I hope to add more to the Russian shelf this next month...

spacer.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crimea River said:

Looks good! I made my fin stripe orange just to be different. Massimo's site says that it was a possibility.

CR...  sounds cool in orange.   i just used the kit decal for the stripe...  its a dark yellow...  

I really had fun with this Tamiya kit.