Hello All. NFG from the U.S.

Capt Keith

I have been been building models since I was seven years old. We can blame Monogram Models and Shep Paine dioramas for igniting my imagination and love of modeling and history.

I have about 700 kits in my morgue currently and never enough time.

My current hobbies are: Painting military miniatures, aircraft, armor, N scale model railroading and the occasional car or ship. I am currently working on the Trumpeter 1/200 Titanic. which has turned from a 400.00 kit to a 1000.00 bundle of kits.

I suffer the disease so many here do; as I simply cannot just build a kit as it comes from the box. 

My long time best friend is part owner and the soul proprietor for Scale 75 in North and South America.  I have made trips to Spain and have painted with their staff painter Julio Cabos on several occasions. 

I am an airline pilot for the largest carrier in the world.  In my travels I have learned to appreciate many European modelers. I met Francois Verlinden when he was bringing to market so many new products to the U.S.  Via the cottage industry that has allowed so many of us to create 3D pictorial history through modeling dioramas without the need to scratch-build everything.

I know many of us have grown tired of the fear mongering and hope it will end soon and perhaps a return to some semblance of normality.

With that said, I am somewhat sarcastic and direct. As a former Army Infantry officer, it's my nature. I also earned my Brit jump wings the hard way. Five jumps from a God-awful dirigible. 

Hopefully I will be able to offer something positive to the forum.

-Keith

• Like 3

Welcome to the forums!  We're a friendly lot.  I like to build "heavy" aircraft in 1/72, which may be a "busman's holiday" for you.

BTW: isn't it supposed to be "FNG" as opposed to "NFG" in military slang?  LOL.  My first encounter with newness as a 2Lt was being handed a note to call "Captain Dees" about my "security clearance."  Turns out that "Captain D's" was a local fast-food restaurant serving what passed for seafood in inland South Carolina.  Thought I'd learned my lesson that day, but more was to come!  

• Like 1

Yes, FNG is what I intended. Working from my cell in the lounge isn't always wise without proof-reading.  I spent most of my time in the southern portion of the U.S.  Ft Benning, Bragg, Kobbe, Sherman and Rucker.  Captain D's is a fast food restaurant that specializes in fried seafood in the south. The counterpart is Long John Silver's. I avoid both like the plague.  Admittedly C rations were still in use when I entered service. However, for a short time.  My first MRE was Dehydrated Pork Patties. There was no Tabasco sauce in the early issue.

As for having fun with the FNG's: I would send them for things like "riser grease, Canopy Lights, Chemlight batteries, Keys to area J, ect.   Just when you think you've heard and seen it all... 

• Haha 1

Those are good ones.  Our NCO's would send newbie enlisted troops out for "flight line," ostensibly to lash some piece of equipment together, while others would tape lengths of pin-feed printer paper (remember those?) to the rear of some unfortunate soul's BDU blouse and let him walk around all day with a "tail."  I understand that we (USAF) were nothing compared to the Navy, though, which would send its newbies, armed with a boat hook"to be on lookout for the "mail buoy" in the middle of the ocean.

• Haha 1

One of the worst practical jokes I saw was that some AF safeties had cut holes in the bottom of air sickness bags.  The weather was rough that night and the low level flight kept from flying above the weather.  A few got sick and vomited. It wound up on the deck and other troopers as we were packed in. Those vomiting and the stench started a chain reaction.

I was number one jumper in my chalk.  I longed for the green light that night.  To my knowledge the culprits never confessed. The AF safeties used walk on our rucks on the C130s. Often they would smash your junk in the process. It was always funny to the safeties. 

1 hour ago, Capt Keith said:

As for having fun with the FNG's: I would send them for things like "riser grease, Canopy Lights, Chemlight batteries, Keys to area J, ect.   Just when you think you've heard and seen it all... 

when I worked at Midway as a cargo line chief my training as an A&P took over. We used to burn the FNG with the Wahoo test. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Now that one is new to me.  Remind me to stay away from the cargo ramp!

Wahoo test- tell the NG to go to the front of the jet engine and yell “wahoo”. If all the blades are aligned correctly he should just hear “hoo” when he gets to the back of the engine. 

• Haha 2

Just don't have him stand on an aluminum ladder when he does it...   The 777 ER tends to be able to ingest large objects with ease. I'm not a fan on the RR Trent, but I am aware of the cost to replace one.

• Like 1