Has anyone painted 1/9 italeri infantryman?

The Great Escape

• 1 year later...

NIce work. I bought the kit too and have problems with glueing the right part of the jacket. So I put this project on ice. The fact that you glued this thing together deserves a Gold Star.

• 2 weeks later...

If the problem is that there isn't enough plastic 'surface' on the edge of the jacket part to attach it to the rest of the model, perhaps a piece of plastic card could be glued to the part, then push that plastic card inside the model, and glue it, to hold the jacket part onto the rest of the model? Hard to explain, but it might spark a better idea. I vaguely remember on a 1978 trip to London being impressed by a model entry at the Model Engineering Exhibition: a modeller had heavily converted that 1/9 scale Italeri figure to an SS non-commissioned officer (I think), wearing a 'Tiger' camouflage jacket, smoking a cigarette. He brought the basic kit to an advanced level of authenticity. There might be an image of that entry on the Internet.

3 hours ago, Peter2 said:

a modeller had heavily converted that 1/9 scale Italeri figure to an SS non-commissioned officer (I think), wearing a 'Tiger' camouflage jacket, smoking a cigarette. He brought the basic kit to an advanced level of authenticity.

Looking at this, which was over on the Planet Figure link,  adding a camo smock to the figures, possibly from thick tissue paper, would maybe a way of dealing with the rather flat and lumpen jacket sculpting, as well as disguising the rather portly build, like the centre figure. 

kaz-jpg.407070

On 11/03/2021 at 16:02, The Great Escape said:

Don’t think it’s quite like the one on the front cover of Military Modelling Magazine but it’ll do. 

It's done, which is the main thing, and as stated before, you notice the BMW and dog a lot more. 

If he really bugs you you could have another go.... :banghead:

Thanking about it, adding a heavy leather motorcycle greatcoat top the figure would hide many sins. and maybe simple as using the figures bulk 

putting Wehrmacht Motorcycle greatcoat into google turned up this, 

WW2 German Rubberised Motorcycle Overcoat Kradmantel

https://thehistorybunker.co.uk/WW2-German-Rubberised-Motorcycle-Overcoat-Kradmantel

1KRADRUBBER-500x980.jpg 

1Kradrubberback-525x600h.jpg

which really would hide a multitude of issues,  and be could made or paper or thin cloth.    As it scratchbuilt addition, you could play about seeing if you could get looking OK without wrecking the figure as well. 

cheers

T

This is a very old thread of mine…

It’s good to reflect on older builds based on what I know now though….

All of the suggestions above are interesting but the sculpt overall is just very basic. 

Yes, you could fabricate new clothing and accessories… but you won’t be able to escape the problem with the face, which lacks any detail or emotion. The face looks like a Ken doll from Barbie.

New arm positions would help too but that in itself creates another job and where do you stop? 

I think a person could carve out the cheeks a little; redefine the ears and chin cleft; give more character to the nose; add laughter lines using a scalpel tip. They do equally difficult things in each episode of 'Botched', the body makeover TV show! 🤕