1/72nd RNZAF Avenger,.... post war ***FINISHED***

30 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I know what you mean mate,..... and yes the post war AS.4`s look nice,.... Modelart Decals have just broughta sheet out for British and Fench post war Avengers,.... and Sword brought out a kit too. 

Cheers

Tony

There is the Hobby 2000 kit as well, ex-Hasegawa, which one would be the most accurate/easier to assemble? The Hobby 2000 kit is just a few quid more expensive but includes canopy masks.

Edit: Just realised they are two different versions of the AS 4 (?), the Sword one with no rear turret and Radar under the fuselage, the Hobby 2000 with the turret. I have Xtradecal markings for an 815 NAS machine which has the turret.

Davey.

• Like 1

Answered your own query there Davey,..... I think that the Sword one might just be `loosely' based on the Hasegawa one too,.... mind you I have not built one yet. With Hasegawa et al you get minimal interior detail,.....so you take yer choice really.  I`s try both personally! 

Another update,.....

Got the main painting done,..... just a bit of detail painting and repair work to follow now really including the wheel wells. I chose the one with the red rudder,... NZ2503,..which of course has the least number of photos available,..... but using what I could find this is what I came up with,.... although I have made at least one mistake that I can see after removing the masking,..... I dare saw those with a more critical eye will find more,... but hey! From the references I could find,.... it looked as if this aircraft also had its under wing serial cropped to just the numbers, without the NZ prefix,..... so I reduced the side of the yellow `boxes' under the wing accordingly;

DSCF0051.jpg

DSCF0054-NEW.jpg

DSCF0055-NEW.jpg

So on with the decals now,..... using Ventura roundels and serials,....

DSCF0050-NEW.jpg

But Fudge the dog still isn`t impressed,... she`s even stolen a cushion from the settee!;

DSCF0049-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 12

On 3/13/2021 at 9:57 AM, Magua87 said:

Beautiful work and a lovely scheme. Fudge must have very high standards not to be impressed. 

Thanks mate,..... unless it is edible then it is very hard to impress this mutt!

On 3/13/2021 at 1:41 PM, modelling minion said:

Looks great Tony, a really striking scheme. 

Thanks mate,..... I have to admit that I thought I was going to totally muck this up,..... so the result is a complete surprise to me! Should look nice with the roundels etc in place. 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Should look very nice with all that, a stunning scheme & you've got it looking good.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,... I`m just double checking whether to use RAF style or Kiwi fern style roundels,.... then I`ll start the decalling.

Edited by tonyot

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

A lovely and colourful Avenger Tony,  great work on the painting too fella.

Chris 

Cheers bud. 

• Like 1

Right,.... done more research re the roundels;

https://www.airforcemuseum.co.nz/blog/50-years-of-flying-kiwis/

So basically,....

White Fern in the roundel- 1957-58

Silver Fern in the roundel- 1958-70

Kiwi roundel- 1970-date

And as NZ2503 was ditched in the Waitemata Harbour off Whenuapai on 17th March 1956 after an engine failure,...with all three occupants safe .. it would have worn RAF style roundels!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Cheers Paul,..... yeah got to love a target tug eh!

A bit of an update,.... I have weathered the model a bit and added a coat of matt varnish;

DSCF0093.jpg

DSCF0094.jpg

So almost there with this one now!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

I love that scheme. Great job.

I was planning on building my Avenger as Fred Ladd's "Plonky", but a post-war target tug would certainly add some colour to the cabinet (NZ2504 perhaps).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dcrfan said:

Very unfair they took the turret away so the target tug crew could not sort matters out if the attackers didn't play fair. 

Or have a crack at the target themselves!

AW

• Like 1

I actually have a friend who was conscripted into one of the last years of Compulsory Military Training in New Zealand in the early to mid 1950s.  He was a gunner in the RNZAF's 51 & 52 Light Anti Aircraft Squadrons.  I have several photos of the Avenger target tugs I've collected from former unit members and the units photo albums held in the National Archive.  Unfortunately the Avengers photos are on a portable drive I can't open at the moment but he explained that they often spent all day waiting for the then very unreliable Avengers to arrive so they could fire sub-calibre rounds the the target drogue from their 40mm Bofors.  

Waiting and waiting for the Avenger.

51050702693_35a1a73406_z.jpgimg034_zpse62139cf by tankienz, on Flickr

Given up and gone home for tea and biscuits.

51050702628_11537a8e89_z.jpgimg030_zpsc596fce0 by tankienz, on Flickr

• Like 3

18 hours ago, dcrfan said:

I actually have a friend who was conscripted into one of the last years of Compulsory Military Training in New Zealand in the early to mid 1950s.  He was a gunner in the RNZAF's 51 & 52 Light Anti Aircraft Squadrons.  I have several photos of the Avenger target tugs I've collected from former unit members and the units photo albums held in the National Archive.  Unfortunately the Avengers photos are on a portable drive I can't open at the moment but he explained that they often spent all day waiting for the then very unreliable Avengers to arrive so they could fire sub-calibre rounds the the target drogue from their 40mm Bofors.  

Waiting and waiting for the Avenger.

51050702693_35a1a73406_z.jpgimg034_zpse62139cf by tankienz, on Flickr

Given up and gone home for tea and biscuits.

51050702628_11537a8e89_z.jpgimg030_zpsc596fce0 by tankienz, on Flickr

Very interesting indeed,..... thanks for the pics. I have heard similar stories from a now deceased family friend who was a British AA Gunner during WW2,.... sitting on the Welsh coast for hours on end waiting for Martinets etc to arrive so they could pop off at the target,...... this is why round often came uncomfortably close,..... you don`t want to upet the blokes on the ground with live rounds in their guns which are pointing right at you,....... they are losing valuable drinking time LOL

22 hours ago, Magua87 said:

I love that scheme. Great job.

I was planning on building my Avenger as Fred Ladd's "Plonky", but a post-war target tug would certainly add some colour to the cabinet (NZ2504 perhaps).

Thanks mate,...... I`d do Plonky and a couple of TT`s to be fair!  The overall yellow and black striped one is tempting,.... but blanking over that turret i a pain,.... the contours are very complex round there. 

Thanks for the encouragement along the way folk,..... I`m calling this one finished now!

DSCF0138-NEW.jpg

DSCF0139-NEW.jpg

DSCF0140-NEW.jpg

DSCF0141-NEW.jpg

DSCF0149-NEW.jpg

DSCF0150-NEW.jpg

DSCF0148-NEW.jpg

DSCF0145-NEW.jpg

DSCF0143-NEW.jpg

DSCF0151-NEW.jpg

DSCF0152-NEW.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 11

• tonyot changed the title to 1/72nd RNZAF Avenger,.... post war ***FINISHED***

I do say Tony... that’s does look rather perfect! You are one heck of a modelling machine and the quality of your finished subjects is just top shelf! 
Cheers and thanks for sharing.. Dave 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I do say Tony... that’s does look rather perfect! You are one heck of a modelling machine and the quality of your finished subjects is just top shelf! 
Cheers and thanks for sharing.. Dave 

Thanks Dave,...... that is very much appreciated coming from yourself,.... just glad you like it mate. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Tony,

Superb and that canopy is exceptional.

Ray

Thanks Ray,.... glad you like the canopy too,.... I was a bit worried about that,.... mostly brush painted without masking,..... to be fair the bits that I did mask went wrong!  

26 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

That is a fantastic result of a great scheme Tony.

Nice, subtle weathering too.

Very well done mate.

Thanks MM,.... much appreciated,.... I wanted it to look well used but not wrecked.

• Like 2