Bf 109 Aerial Wires

fishplanebeer

I'm near to completing my 72nd scale Zvezda Bf109F-2 and will soon be faced with the perennial problem of the aerial wires which I have never found a solution to.

I'm sure there are quite a few folks who have built Bf109's to a good standard or better so I'm hoping that they may hopefully be able to point me in the right direction in terms of the best material to use (I currently use either stretched sprue or very fine fishing nylon) and more importantly how on earth do you achieve the aerial wire that comes off at right angles to the main wire and which is then attached to the fuselage?

I'm not after any trade secrets as my models are purely for my own enjoyment but it would be wonderful if I could manage to pull this off for once.

Regards

Colin.

I use a lot of elastic EZ-Line these days...but I used mostly stretched sprue for about 4 decades, with generally excellent results. Attached with white glue it's surprisingly sturdy...but easy to remove if you need a re-do.

As far as the verticals, here's my m.o.: drill a position hole in the fuselage for the vertical before attaching the horizontal. Once that main section is in place, 'float' a shorter section in the fuselage hole, apply a mini-drop of glue where needed on the main line, then touch the top end of the short section to connect. Quick and clean.

If necessary, you can go back and apply a touch of glue to the base of the vertical, but I hardly ever bother. If your line tension should happen to change with humidity, the 'free-floating' base end will self-adjust.

Cheers