OK, we don't want to keep @Pete in Lincs in suspenders any longer so here are some pictures of the work I did earlier today. I began by fitting the hydroplanes and their guards. I replaced the braces to the guards with brass tubing.

The next item on the agenda was to fit the piping that fits on the rear of the hull. Any ideas as to what it is for?

I had been putting off doing the torpedoes for some time due to tiny items of PE that have to go on them but to my surprise, all the fins went on with no hassle and not a one of them falling victim to the carpet monster. The propeller blades are a different matter though as the parts supplied with the kit are smaller than the parts are smaller than the brass runners that hold them to the PE fret. I have also been working on the rigging arrangements for the externally mounted torpedoes, once again fashioned from Albion Alloys' slide fit tubing. I still have a few details to add in this area before finishing off the conning tower hatch.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

• Like 14

52 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Wow you know how to transform a lump of plastic into a beauty

Nice one :thumbsup:

Kev

Cheers Kev.

Martian 👽

Dear Martian,

What a stunning job you are doing on what to my eyes is the most beautiful submarine I have ever seen, it is Jules Verne steampunk in its purest form.....and completely barking !

I guess that it will start to look a little more serious in paint, but aren't you tempted to leave some of the brass bits unpainted just for the hell of it ?

Subs have never floated (or even submerged) my boat, but this is more like an anime flying dreadnought, absolutely love it ,really made my day.

Cheers

David

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dancona said:

Dear Martian,

What a stunning job you are doing on what to my eyes is the most beautiful submarine I have ever seen, it is Jules Verne steampunk in its purest form.....and completely barking !

I guess that it will start to look a little more serious in paint, but aren't you tempted to leave some of the brass bits unpainted just for the hell of it ?

Subs have never floated (or even submerged) my boat, but this is more like an anime flying dreadnought, absolutely love it ,really made my day.

Cheers

David

Thanks David, I was seriously tempted not to paint the model but decided I did want it to look like the real article. I do however have a policy with my maritime builds in that waterline models get some subtle weathering but models on stands are finished like a shipbuilder's model. Very much in the style of the models that so captivated me in the Science Museum as a child.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have been a busy little Martian haven't I? Not only has the Hunley taken a leap forward and the Holland got to the stage where it is ready for paint, the Delfin has joined it in the queue for the new paint booth. To be fair there wasn't that much to do just scratch build the counterweight mechanism on the conning tower hatch, I don't do brass butt joined to styrene. Styrene to styrene stays glued. A few hand/footholds were added from Little Cars detailing wire( I even used white wire so you good folks can see them. I spoil you all, I really do!) and the job is a good 'un as they say. All I need to do now is to not drop this one while painting it as happened with my first attempt with this kit. Don't get me wrong, I love this kit but I don't fancy building it a third time. Well, not just yet anyway. The boat underwent quite a few changes throughout her existence so another build would not necessarily be as tedious as it might sound. We'll see how I feel after I have painted and rigged the thing.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

023.jpg

024.jpg

• Like 10

On 2/22/2021 at 7:22 PM, Martian said:

Thanks David, I was seriously tempted not to paint the model but decided I did want it to look like the real article. I do however have a policy with my maritime builds in that waterline models get some subtle weathering but models on stands are finished like a shipbuilder's model. Very much in the style of the models that so captivated me in the Science Museum as a child.

Martian 👽

I got the same opinion! Will follow this interesting building.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a quick heads up to say that the Delfin got her coat of primer today. Colour will hopefully be going on later this week.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

The Delfin got her coat of grey today and to ensure there will be no repeat of my first effort slipping through my fingers and hitting the floor, she was glued to her stand and that in turn was glued to a wooden base. The model is set back on the base to allow room for a brass name plaque. Dtail painting next.

Martian 👽

024.jpg

• Like 12

I managed to get some more done on this one over the last twenty four hours. The main paint job is done and, for those who know me, unusually, weathered. I normally prefer my models to be pristine but this one just looked way too bland and most of the pictures of the real thing show it to be quite weathered. Best break the news to Johnny aka @The Spadgent gently, the shock could kill him. I did most of the weathering using a pin wash and dot filtering. I have fitted the railings and done the rigging from .30mm brass rod from Albion Alloys. I now have to stop and have a think. In the available pictures the railings look quite thick but what I can't decide is whether this is thick wire or metal railing. Never mind, while I am making my mind up I shall enjoy  the look of the natural brass.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

029.jpg

027.jpg

026.jpg

• Like 13

41 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Exquisite, Martin. Exquisite.    👍

Cheers,

Bill

1 minute ago, The Spadgent said:

Wow !!! What a stunner. Stuck to that hunk of wood she looks so ace!! ❤️👌🤩

Thanks Guys, she will look better when she has a brass plaque on the base. I find that adding a nice shiny plaque really makes a model pop.

Martian 👽

PS: Got over the shock of me weathering a model Johnny? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Martian said:

PS: Got over the shock of me weathering a model Johnny? 

I knew when it happened it would be amazing. I’m not disappointed. Maybe a nice beaten up Corsair at some point. 🤩.  

*just pullin’ yer tentacles. 😜🙌

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Cracking finish - The whole object is just somewhow other-worldly

Pretty unique B)

Rob

Well it would be; its made by a Martian! thanks for the compliment though.

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

Dear Martian,

Just love this, wonderfully bonkers, and even better under paint, (very nicely done BTW) the only thing missing (apart from the seagull of course) is an "Anime" figure in a sort of an Edwardian military uniform with a big flowing cape staring moodily out to sea !!!

Really nice job on the most "sumariney" looking submarine I have ever seen, could almost be convincing painted yellow 🙃

Keep em coming !!

David

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dancona said:

Dear Martian,

Just love this, wonderfully bonkers, and even better under paint, (very nicely done BTW) the only thing missing (apart from the seagull of course) is an "Anime" figure in a sort of an Edwardian military uniform with a big flowing cape staring moodily out to sea !!!

Really nice job on the most "sumariney" looking submarine I have ever seen, could almost be convincing painted yellow 🙃

Keep em coming !!

David

Thanks David, the Holland is currently in the paint shop so there should be some news on that soon.

Martian 👽