Advice on moving a heavy box down steep stairs...

johnd

Hi all,

I have a 33 kg box that needs to go down into a cellar via steep ladder stairs. They're the sort of steps that you have to go down backwards. Clearly, it can't be carried as it would be all too easy to lose your footing.

So how to go about getting it down there? I've got as far as thinking of using webbing straps around both vertical axes attached via a shackle at the top and a further strap attached to let it down. Unsure whether this would work as I don't know whether it would just go shooting off at that weight.

Any comments or better ideas gratefully received.

John.

Don't forget to lift with your back, not your legs.  A good sharp lift using just your back should see you right.... off the hospital :clown:

Take care, seek assistance, and don't take risks :yes:

• Like 2

I have a small trolley with three wheels mounted on each side of a single axle. Two wheels sit on the floor, and at each step they rotate around the step edge allowing a smooth climb or descent. I've even managed to lift a washing machine up a few steps with it. It wasn't cheap, but for some tasks it's indispensible. Maybe you could hire one from a tool hire company?

• Like 2

@Chimpion good idea. Though the way I'm reading the original post is John's problem is with a 'steep ladder stairs'.

The truck type you talk about are very good and ideal where there are no lifts / elevators, but need solid (and reasonably wide) stair treads to work.

I've a feeling the stair / ladder treads that are referred to would be to narrow.

@johnd if I've read right, it's more ladder than stairs? If so, are the 'ladder' verticals close enough together so that with your straps you could lower it down supported by said verticals? If not, I'd suggest a block and tackle. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

John's problem is with a 'steep ladder stairs'.

That's right. The trolley wouldn't work in this case as you have to go down facing the steps. Two people have tried going down forwards. One ended up in a heap at the bottom (amazingly uninjured) and the second pulled it off but never did it again.

Without being facetious (again), could you use the ladder verticals as slides, and lower the box down those with someone guiding them from below?  A couple of straps that run between the steps, pay out the straps evenly while the assistant in the basement takes the weight and stops it sliding left or right.  That would be my first idea, but as always with these things, it's all done at your own risk.  Do not attempt this at home ;)

In my previous life as a Catering Manager we used to use similar trolleys such as this, although more robust to re-site heavy vending machines up da and down stairs. I realise that it's expensive for a one off job, but it may be possible to try and hire one from a tool hire shop. 

https://www.shshandlingsolutions.com/product/handling-equipment/sack-trucks/stair-climber/lightweight-stairclimber-sack-truck/

Alternatively you could follow the advice of this notorious Australian criminal.

Please note this clip has a lot  of very naughty words right from the start. Not suitable for children or those of a sensitive dispostion

Edited by Mr T
  • Haha 1

The side rails (they're not really vertical but are at a steep rake) are set back from the steps slightly. I could just let the box down over the step edges on the straps with someone guiding it but  if I couldnt hold it then that someone would end up with 33 kg heading towards them. 

I'm used to lifting properly, btw, it's a big part of my job. 

A block and tackle would be a good move if there was somewhere to attach it.

John.

1 hour ago, sinnerboy said:

why don't you empty the box? 

It contains a single item that can't be broken down. The box and packing adds little weight but adds protection and a smooth surface to slide down the steps.

John.

As someone who taught safe moving and handling in a previous life...

Let gravity do the work

The previous ideas about straps and webbing seem to make most sense to me. 33kg is heavy, but not too heavy to have someone(s) at the top of the ladder/stair providing an anchor while the straps allow the load to be gently lowered until control and guidance. And most straps should take a 33kg load with no probs.

If it's a ladder/stair, then the rungs and/or rails should provide sufficient solidity to serve as an anchor for controlled lowering with someone at the top and someone else at the foot (but NOT taking the load - rather just guiding) ?

HTH

SD

• Like 1

Couple of planks resting on the treads top to bottom to make slides? It must be quite like getting a barrel of beer into a cellar, mustn’t it? Couple of long straps secured at the top wrapped under and back over the top of the box, then stay at the top and pay out the webbing (ideally one man on each side) while it slides down the planks, on the webbing. No one at the bottom to break its fall... Alternatively, cut the body up...

beat,

M.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, johnd said:

A block and tackle would be a good move if there was somewhere to attach it.

If there's a doorway at the top, would it be worth investing in a large(ish) piece of timber say 4" x 3" (100mm x 75mm) drill for an eye bolt,

place timber laterally across door opening, attach block then having roped up the box lower away from the BOTTOM, using the tackle?

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

quite like getting a barrel of beer into a cellar

Ain't drinking in your pub! 'Cor the beer wouldn't half be lively! No, there's no ropes involved, you use a 'pig'.

Serious bit. Having seen an 11 gallon attempted to be roped out of a cellar, it's FAR from advisable. Rope sliped, and the barrel bounced once before hitting the back wall.

From the drop to the back wall was 60'............Oh, and the barrel was FULL.

16 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Rope sliped, and the barrel bounced once before hitting the back wall.

From the drop to the back wall was 60'............Oh, and the barrel was FULL.

Did you call the deliveryman "Guy" for ever afterwards? 😜

best,

M.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Couple of planks resting on the treads top to bottom to make slides? It must be quite like getting a barrel of beer into a cellar, mustn’t it? Couple of long straps secured at the top wrapped under and back over the top of the box, then stay at the top and pay out the webbing (ideally one man on each side) while it slides down the planks, on the webbing. No one at the bottom to break its fall... Alternatively, cut the body up...

beat,

M.

Best suggestion yet. 👍   Simple and effective.  That's the way I'd tackle it.  If the step treads project beyond the stringer line then a couple of timbers will provide clearance and if long enough and space allowing, it will reduce the pitch and lessen the weight for one person.

• Like 1