Pz. 4 Naming Scheme Gap Between “H” and “J”

Geshützführer

Hello, 

This question may seem odd, but when looking through Pz 4 models and I’ve noticed that there seems to be no Ausf. “i” variant, only Ausf. H followed directly by Ausf. J. I wonder if there was something special about the supposed “Pz 4 Ausf. i” or whether they’ve simply skipped the “i” version because “i” could be interpreted like a roman number 1 or something like that? This may be a silly question, I just couldn’t find results for Pz. 4 Ausf. i on the internet. Thank you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Geshützführer said:

This question may seem odd, but when looking through Pz 4 models and I’ve noticed that there seems to be no Ausf. “i” variant, only Ausf. H followed directly by Ausf. J. I wonder if there was something special about the supposed “Pz 4 Ausf. i” or whether they’ve simply skipped the “i” version because “i” could be interpreted like a roman number 1 or something like that? This may be a silly question, I just couldn’t find results for Pz. 4 Ausf. i on the internet. Thank you.

You have answered your own question.......note how you used a lowercase "i" to explain it was an "i" not an "L" or a "1" ....sooooo there you go.

• Like 1

If you look around, you will see that a lot of things that the alphabet to denote variations of theme do not use the capital i for precisely the reason you mention. It's too easy to mistake it for something else.

Chris

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 4/16/2021 at 2:50 PM, Jochen Barett said:

Only in a few cases. When spoken as a single letter "i" is like "eeeeh" and "j" is like "yott".

Funny  in Dutch 'i' is the same, but 'j' is like 'jee' (the j sounding like y in 'yomp')

• 3 months later...

its a technical drafting rule,,, I doesnt exist.... as it matches other letters....    

but most dont understand drafting,, or that japan uses its own version of orthographic views that are reverse of the rest of the world

In a discussion over on Missing Lynx about stencilling inside Panthers it has just been revealed, supported with photos, that in the WW2 Era the upper case I was written like a J.  Apparently this is an older German font style.  That might also go some way to explaining why I was not used in Ausfuhrung numbering.  Not only could it be confused with 1 or lower case l (L), it could also apparently be confused with J.  There were no PzKpfw II or III Ausf I either.