RAAF Spitfire Vc OY-V "Rima II" 1/72 Eduard IX base kit

Many moons ago, back in 1968 or 1969, I modified a Frog Spitfire I into this subject with a balsa Vokes filter. Those were the days...

Fast forward to 2018 I started a Sword Vc to update the idea, as I rather liked the subject. I still have my old references, which stated that the Spit was repaired and repainted for the 452 CO Lou Spence, in Foliage green, light earth and sky blue. In the meantime, I had purchased the High Planes Vc, which had these marking, so now the transfers were secured, however, the colour notes from HPM specifies the colours as Foliage green, RAF dark earth and RAF Azure blue. With the help of fellow Britmodeller this was confirmed. Many thanks to @Magpie22 and @Ed Russell

The  Sword was, not quite, the canvas for this, to me, important project, so I turned to my homemade Spitfire V nose and grafted that onto a Eduard IX fuselage along with an appropriate oil cooler. I'm not too fond of the sliding part of the canopy as it seems to be too high, otherwise the kit is a gem. 

Paint is Xtracolor and the with X114 FS14092 as Foliage green. The camouflage scheme only loosely follow the original scheme as the plane was repainted after a mishap. The photos seems to indicate a very clean machine (after all it was the CO's), so weathering was kept to a minimum. 

Panel lines are done with green and brown shades of heavily diluted artists oil paints on the upper surfaces and blue below.

Decals from High Plane Models Spitfire Vc.

Camera is a Nikon D750 with a 28-300mm lens.

Another favourite Spitfire. Actually funny to re-do such an old effort, which unfortunately has gone missing.

Enjoy

/Finn

qOGL5GVQ_o.jpg

MA1nfbdP_o.jpg

N0r4O34D_o.jpg

buSAsfj0_o.jpg

6Q7PZIIx_o.jpg

dYXMr7DQ_o.jpg

122aq1f7_o.jpg[/URL]

• Like 43
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2021 at 23:39, Cookenbacher said:

You are very gifted at Spitfire noses!

I attempted (and failed) a similar conversion last year with a Sword Mk V nose, but it did not fit the Eduard fuselage at all.

Your conversion turned out great, that's a very convincing Mk Vc.

The nose master is based on Tamiyas Vb, but obviously has to be very carefully matched. As I remember, it's a tad too narrow and the panel lines also don't match exactly. The "secret" is that I did not join on the firewall line, rather than in the middle of the fuel tank.

8lHvNChY_o.jpg

Ep2V5ObQ_o.jpg

Once you have the shorter merlin and a round oil cooler, it's downhill coasting using basic modelling skills.

/Finn

• Like 3

• 6 months later...