Mi-24 Mk.III Superhind, ATE/Bulgaria AF "triple grey scheme", ca. 2005

Hi all,

Here is my interpretation of the Mi-24 Mk.III Superhind. When I came across this attractive color scheme used in Bulgaria, in combination with its extensive armament systems, I set out to build this version of the Hind.

South African company ATE acquired 2 Mi-24’s in the ‘90-s and used these as a basis for developing several upgrade packages. Mk.III standard helicopters were purchased by both Algeria and Azerbaijan. ATE’s 2nd prototype was demonstrated to the Bulgarian AF in 2005.

I used the ‘limited edition’ boxing of Hasegawa’s 1/72 Mi-24/35 Mk.III Superhind: the base kit builds easily into a nice Hind, but this Hasegawa edition also comes with several resin extras (external systems, sensors, armament and fuel tanks), a small PE fret and metal gun barrel and cockpit stairs. The resin parts are pretty well casted and give a good fit overall. Decals for Bulgarian and Algerian helicopters are included in this kit.

Although designed for the Italeri Mi-24D kit, I used a Pavla resin cockpit which gives a pretty good fit here. The interior of the cargo cabin is very plain from the box , so I used parts of the Italeri kit to busy up this area. Final touch on the interior was a PE HUD from the spares box. Around the fuselage, I used some Ace Models and Eduard PE parts; a bit of wiring/detail was added to the rotors and main gear struts. Load-out consists of resin items from the kit, except the UB-32A rocket pods which are from the Hobbyboss Hind.

Paints are Gunze, with some restrained weathering with oil washes, knowing that this was a demonstrator helicopter. I started out following Hasegawa's color call-out for the three grey Gunze paint numbers, but tweaked the lightest and darkest grey to better resemble the photo references I found on the internet.

Hope you enjoy the pictures!

All the best,

Patrick

• Like 43

Thanks again gentlemen, much appreciated!

28 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Excellent work on the Hind, Patrick! 👏 The painting looks fantastic.

Thanks Nikolay, following your companion build on the A type with interest!

Cheers,

Patrick

• Like 1