256 - Saab AJS 37 Viggen, 1/72 - another one! +++Finished+++

Bjorn

YES! Another one! One week to go and still there are Heller kits in my stash! So let's do my original plan for this GB, at that time when my plan was to build one model only, before this was totally freaked out... Years ago I bought the old Hasegawa Viggen kit in the re-release with decals for this one:

4WqWeDTGPbFnUuUL26u6SnVpjbuVLOZJZ8cUfiko

This was the last flying Viggen at F 10 wing, today preserved (and restored) at Stenbäcks Flygmuseum in southern Sweden. The Hasegawa kit is the old Frog one, not worth building (I gave it to my son to try model building), but decals are fairly nice. Although today there are better ones from Moose Republic Decals, I had a plan to someday use them on one of my old Heller kits. And someday is now:

50924883401_727030d872_c.jpg

I had another Pavla resin seat, so this will be the only aftermarket on this one. And straight OOB is the only chance to make it until sunday... However, painting will be a quick process, a little easier than my splinter one. :) I used decals for the cockpit, that - of course - will be closed this time.

50924198738_17af184b65_c.jpg

No time for re-scribing panel lines. However, this time the raised ones probably will be better than recessed ones. Since I will picture this one when it was fresh-painted, a dark wash would be realistic, so the raised panels will give a better effect, I hope.

50925011057_03aba044d9_c.jpg

After some careful sanding, keeping most panel lines in good shape:

50924198808_1bb86ff67b_c.jpg

Ready for primer!

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 7

• Bjorn changed the title to 256 - Saab AJS 37 Viggen, 1/72 - another one! HELP ME! I JUST CAN'T STOP!!!
1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

Wow you're really into this thing aren't you! That's the spirit. There's always room for a Viggen 🙂 

I guess I am... This GB has really given me a chance to finally build these old kits in my stash, getting back to old times and realise old projects that I never thought I would build.  And also a welcome relief from my normal builds, this was just for fun, it did not matter whether they turned out good or bad. And of course, I love challenges! :D 

• Like 4

• Bjorn changed the title to 256 - Saab AJS 37 Viggen, 1/72 - another one! - Now with ghosts!
5 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Great work and a super cool colour scheme. What's this Bjorn? Number 12? You're going to need a lie down and a rest once this GB finishes.

Thanks! Yes, number 12 it is. But I think that will be enough for this GB. I mean, thirteen means bad luck. 😉

Rest? No, no! Just read the text on the plane! 😁

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Brilliant as ever Bjorn

Just to finish the image in my mind, do you drive a SAAB as well ?

Cheers Pat 

Well, you are on the right track, but no, I don't. I am a fanatic of cars from.... Citroën! Maybe that explains my Heller fascination at least a little. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Bjorn changed the title to 256 - Saab AJS 37 Viggen, 1/72 - another one! +++Finished+++

Number twelwe. :) Since I wanted to portrait this one when it was fresh painted, I did not care about wash and weathering. Which also was a good choice to keep it a quick build...  Less than 10 hours are spent on this one, retaining the panel lines which on one hand makes it look a little toy-like, but on the other hand actually makes it look more like the real thing, compare to the picture above. So this time, in my opinion, raised panel lines was actually better than recessed ones. But it is hard to see any contrasts on it trying to to take photos of it, it simply looks more like a red blob...

50942019702_e2e60d90c7_c.jpg

• Like 3

Fantastic Bjorn! Another fabulous build and a total of 12 for the GB. That's impressive. Totally agree about the panel lines etc. The model looks just how the photo of the real thing looks. No weathering or panel washed needed for this one!

• Thanks 1