Razorback -The Expanse

Rob998

spacer.png

I have a 1/144 (150mm) 3D print of this coming, I don’t really think it counts as a kit, but I do get to paint it and apply decals.

It’s mainly white, and the visible drive gubbins are, erm, open to artistic interpretation...🤪

So, what white to use?  It’s hard to tell from the tv.

This was the plaything of a gazillionaires spoilt little brat, so in my mind it would have been quite bling.

The whitest white I can think of is Halfords appliance white, so I was thinking that, and maybe to give it a really high end finish, a Pearl clear gloss?

What do you guys  think?

• Like 4

On 2/8/2021 at 6:08 PM, Rob998 said:

So, what white to use? 

Well depends on the effect you're looking for, Factory fresh or in use. Factory fresh go with the Stark white you've mentioned. If you want something thats more a daily use non museum piece go with an off white maybe with a hint of grey or cream to it ? 

• Like 1

I always think using an ultra white shade of white makes the model look excessively toylike, even when the colour is prototypically correct.

A good colour I've used as a substitute on occasions is Gunze H316 which is a very slightly off white gloss.

Edited by -Ian-
  • Like 1

I would be wary of pearl clear or indeed a gloss finish as I think they might fail to sell the scale of the thing. Paint it gloss for the decals and then flatten it down to an eggshell finish maybe?

At the same time I think pure white might be OK, given all the pink-red detailing. I'd steer clear of warm whites, if you do cut it with something I'd use a tiny bit of cool grey.

At least that's my 10p!

Will

• Like 1

Big Expanse fan here. Love the "evolution of space flight" graphic down the side of the Razorback. As it is basically is a racing car for outer space it needs to look clean I'd say. I never use pure white on a model preferring a very light grey, that said I don't model millionaire's yachts or airliners. What do the airliner modellers use, I think that would be the look I'd go for.

Post your progress when the model arrives. I'd love a "Roci" but can't bring myself to pay for the 30cm version and I know if I bought a smaller one I'd regret it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input everyone. 

I agree the Pearl finish would be too much, apart from anything it would remind me of my old Honda CX500 Eurosport which was anything but a racing machine, despite the Eurosport bit of its name! 

@Rumblestripe I think a good few of the airliner modellers do actually use Appliance White, so I am leaning towards that, and a gloss clear coat, maybe even buffed. I think Juliette Mao was very precious indeed about the Razorback, given how much it featured in her story, even after she, erm, changed, so I feel it would have been kept in immaculate condition.

I got my Roci a while back and it was quit a bit cheaper than it is at the moment, so it wasn’t hard to justify it. I’ve just bought another one to do in MCRN colours, and I’ve justified it to myself as treat because I’m bored bloody stupid being off work for the last 3 months with long Covid! 

• Like 1

I would go for a very light gray as well I think, with a satin to almost matt finish.

Love The Expanse but the space ships all look a bit to clean in my eyes. They could do with a bit more weathering and variety in the textures.

• Like 1

I’m doing my current Rocinante a bit grubby, it’s definitely due a visit to Fred’s paint bay on Tycho Station. My next Roci will be done as the Tachi in MCRN colours, and the Martians seem to be neat freaks so that will be done clean, plus it lived inside a bigger ship, The Donnager, where the crew would have  kept it clean and maintained.

I’m still of the mindset that Razorback was a spoilt rich kids cherished toy, so it would be very tidy indeed, but I’m thinking of going for a slightly less white white now. Hmm.