MiG-21Bis JRViPVO (Yugoslavian Air Force and Air Defense) L-17 17127, Academy 1/48

I present to you the Academy MiG-21bis (MF in Academy`s own words) in 1/48, which I finished about 7 years ago, for the purpose of recovering after the Academy's MiG-29 in 1/48 (absolute agony of kit). I have nothing new to say about the model itself... Very good model, with a great fit and decent level of details, but declassified by Eduard's 21s. The color is HU127 and the decals from Lift here. I mixed the colors of the wheels but the green turned out to be much darker in the pictures than in nature. Fast paint job with weathering done only by the preshading technique.
      The plane itself is the one before the overhaul, which took part in some maneuvers in Yugoslavia (Šumadija, beginning 80 ... for example, sorry if I made a mistake) and my colleague AGO2 (from Maketarskikutak forum) gave me immense help because I had absolutely no idea about the plane itself. I presented it as if they had (and probably did) shooting tasks and therefore are 2 UB-16 launchers.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by boom.boom
additional formatting of the post
  • Like 29

You have done wonders with a very basic scheme!  Bravo!  Did the Yugoslav Air Force operate MF’s, and if so, did they use the overal grey scheme? Sorry to high Jack the thread. 

Edited by 28ZComeback
  • Like 1

This is beautifully done!  Awesome job!  Question: how did you get the Yugoslav tail flash decal to flawlessly conform to the bulge for the radio-compass?  That's a big challenge for me in 1/72, and I'd love to know how you do it!  I think the white stripe was temporarily applied only during exercises.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Did the Yugoslav Air Force operate MF’s, and if so, did they use the overal grey scheme?

Yes, the RV i PVO flew the MiG-21PFM, MiG-21M, MiG-21MF and MiG-21Bis, as well as the  MiG-21U and US twoseaters. The MF's used the allover grey scheme. 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2021 at 10:24 PM, Pete in a shed said:

Lovely job:like:. The white stripe is a bit different. I've not seen that before.

Pete

Thank You Pete! White stripe is just temporary, used during the war games (I think during 80s`).

21 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

You have done wonders with a very basic scheme!  Bravo!  Did the Yugoslav Air Force operate MF’s, and if so, did they use the overal grey scheme? Sorry to high Jack the thread. 

Thank You 28Z! Yugoslavian Air Force operated almost all types of MiG-21`s (F-13, PFM, R, M, MF, BIS, U, US, UM). Yugoslav MF`s were mostly in the NMF but I’m not sure if there were any overal grays (but I have to admit that I am not an expert on this topic at all, so it is very possible that I am wrong in terms of painting MF).

20 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

This is beautifully done!  Awesome job!  Question: how did you get the Yugoslav tail flash decal to flawlessly conform to the bulge for the radio-compass?  That's a big challenge for me in 1/72, and I'd love to know how you do it!  I think the white stripe was temporarily applied only during exercises.

Thank You for your kind words. Lift Here decals are vary good decals and they react well on Mr.Mark setter and softener. I think that i did little bit of cutting around bulge and retouching paint.

4 hours ago, luis pacheco said:

Well done. 

The white strip on the rear regards the “Golija 76” exercise I believe.

I don't think so because they arrived in SFRY in 1977 (BUT, but You might to be right, i am not expert by any means when it cams to particular subject!!!) . It seems to me that this is a war game from the 80's, but I really can't say which one.

Edited by boom.boom
  • Like 1