In view of the recent release of the excellent 1/72 Azur-FFrom kit, I thought I would post these photos, taken at the Air Force Museum at Dayton, OH. It was an Ex-Argentine aircraft and was restored here at  Kelly AB by AF reservists. I wouldn't put too much credence on the interior colors visible in the photos. IIRC you can find additional photos and text on B-10's in Air Enthusiast Qtly 22, Wings 17/1, Air Power 6/6, and Air International 36/5. 

Mike

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/197393/martin-b-10/

During the restoration, I read that the people at Kelly used a ton of auto body filler to fill all the dings and dents accumulated over the years...sounded like a 1:1 scale Mach 2 kit! :giggle:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've always loved the Martin B-10 and have wanted to model the later variant the 166.  The Turks used them as well as the Dutch in the East Indies.  The Williams Brothers kit captures the spirit of the aircraft well.  I don't know about the newer kits.  

On 2/8/2021 at 12:08 PM, 72modeler said:

In view of the recent release of the excellent 1/72 Azur-FFrom kit, I thought I would post these photos, taken at the Air Force Museum at Dayton, OH. It was an Ex-Argentine aircraft and was restored here at  Kelly AB by AF reservists. I wouldn't put too much credence on the interior colors visible in the photos. IIRC you can find additional photos and text on B-10's in Air Enthusiast Qtly 22, Wings 17/1, Air Power 6/6, and Air International 36/5. 

Mike

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/197393/martin-b-10/

During the restoration, I read that the people at Kelly used a ton of auto body filler to fill all the dings and dents accumulated over the years...sounded like a 1:1 scale Mach 2 kit! :giggle:

I'm surprised that one survived. Seems like everything from that period is gone. Looks like the did a nice job on it even with all the bondo.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Cometracer said:

I've always loved the Martin B-10 and have wanted to model the later variant the 166.  The Turks used them as well as the Dutch in the East Indies.  The Williams Brothers kit captures the spirit of the aircraft well.  I don't know about the newer kits.  

The Turkish Martins were not similar to the Netherlands East Indies Model 139WH-3/3A (I've never understood where the designation 166 comes from).  They were similar to the earlier 139WH-1/2.  The WH-139WH-3/3A had the continous canopy, but also a deeper forward fuselage and most significantly a revised wing, that looks more like a DC-3 planform than the one associated with the B-10.  The revised wing was needed to address change in center of gravity.

By the way, the Turkish Martins were distinctive - the upper surfaces were painted in a shade of orange around FS13538 which one modeller equates to Humbrol 188.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimmaas said:

The WH-139WH-3/3A had the continuous canopy, but also a deeper forward fuselage and most significantly a revised wing, that looks more like a DC-3 planform

And sadly, I contacted Azur-Frrom/Special Hobby, and was told they have no plans to release the WH3/3A variant...I have been in love with the NEI WH-3's ever since I saw my first photo of one- a B-10 on steroids! :giggle: I have figured out where to get the engines, cowlings, props, and intakes, as well as how to master a new canopy and how to deepen the front  fuselage, but I need to find some accurate drawings I can  enlarge to 1/72  scale  to figure out the wing modifications.

Mike

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

On my first visit to the USAF Museum, in 1976, I walked around a corner on the Museum floor to find the B-10 in process of assembly! Quite a surprise.

A drum of Tamiya extra-thick cement? :giggle:

Mike

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Cometracer said:

The Turkish B-10s were yellow over natural metal.  Some B-10s had continuous canopies as did the 166.

I'd love to see a photo....

I may have posted this link before when we had the original discussion on the NEI Martins; if so, I apologize in advance. The article has a good description of all of the B-10 variants that the NEI purchased and flew. You can clearly see the continuous canopy, the deeper forward nose, the external bomb racks, and the uprated engines,  Curtiss props, and revised cowlings and wing planform. Hope many of you will find this of interest.

Mike

https://thejavagoldblog.wordpress.com/background-info-book-1/airplanes-2/glenn-martin-b10-bombers-in-dutch-service/

25 minutes ago, Blimpyboy said:

Those are indeed Turkish.  Thank you for sharing them.  But the earlier claim ( which caused me to wish for a confirming photo) was that the Turks had some Martins with a continuous greenhouse, like the later model Netherlands types.  All of these show the normal two canopies.  And yes, the orange upper surfaces on the model is pretty, er, um....vivid!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

It would be nice if someone would do a resin 166 "conversion kit". You could use the parts from the Azur kit if, some one made a new fuselage, wings and cowlings,plus a Vacuum formed canopy. I am working on a B-10 in Dutch colors now.

33 minutes ago, Bill Davis said:

It would be nice if someone would do a resin 166 "conversion kit". You could use the parts from the Azur kit if, some one made a new fuselage, wings and cowlings,plus a Vacuum formed canopy. I am working on a B-10 in Dutch colors now.

Bill,

I really don't think you would need a new fuselage; the 166 only appears deeper from the nose to the bomb bay, I think to create space for a proper bomb-aimer's station under the nose turret. If you cut the nose in  half horizontally, you could insert a section of plasticard strip  between the upper and lower sections you separated and re-attach them to get the increased depth. I don't think it would be too difficult to cut a longer opening in the upper fuselage and make a master for the continuous canopy with a balsa or plasticard section added between the two to make a new canopy. That being said, I have no earthly idea what goes between the front and rear cockpits. There are some sources that stated that the bomb bay was also deeper, but I just don't see that in photos.

Mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill Davis said:

And the wings are considerably different. 

Yes, but that correction is much easier than the others I mentioned, which is why I left that out. When I get a chance, I will enlarge the scale drawings I have and post a list of the changes that need to be made as well as what parts can be taken from other kits. (As soon as I do that, some kit maker will release a new-tool ....it's the First Law of Modeling!)

Mike