12 Squadron Canberras

wadeocu

I have seen pictures of 12 Sqn Canberras from the Suez campaign with the running fox emblem but this is the first I have seen of this scheme:

12 Sqn Canberras

This photo was published on the 12 Sqn twitter stream [ https://twitter.com/12sqn?lang=en ].

I find myself rather enamored with this livery.  What are mark are these - B.2s or B.6s perhaps?  What is the best route to a model in 1/72?  Are there any decal options or am I left to cobble something together?  Do you know of any other relevant photos that you can share or direct me to?

Cheers - Jack

• Like 1

I found a couple of more black and white photos on Air Britain.  A little different with the squadron emblem not appearing on the nose as in the photo above.  It appears that these are B.6s according to AB's captions.  Does this leave me with the old Airfix kit then?  I see that S &M Models (careful googling that!) has a kit; how is it?  What is the better option?

1 hour ago, wadeocu said:

I found a couple of more black and white photos on Air Britain.  A little different with the squadron emblem not appearing on the nose as in the photo above.  It appears that these are B.6s according to AB's captions.  Does this leave me with the old Airfix kit then?  I see that S &M Models (careful googling that!) has a kit; how is it?  What is the better option?

If you're just happy to have something sort of Canberra shaped then the S&M could fit the bill but you will need to do some smallish mod's to make it look moor like a B.6, mainly the engine nacelles and starter fairing. If you can find one the High Plains kit (RAAF Mk.20 version,) or a kit bash option FROG B.(I)8 with a new nose perhaps from the S&M kit?

John

15 hours ago, wadeocu said:

I see that this one comes with its own issues:

I suppose there is no getting around the surgical requirements to get something that resembles the real thing!

Unfortunately the old Airfix B.(I)6 isn't really of much use, it's overall size and shape aren't too bad, apart from the nose and other areas which are less than optimal. If you can't or don't want to get the HP Mk.20 then I would look for a FROG B.(I)8 and a replacement nose. I do wish one of the mainstream companies would do a B.2/6 kit!

John

14 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Unfortunately the old Airfix B.(I)6 isn't really of much use, it's overall size and shape aren't too bad, apart from the nose and other areas which are less than optimal. If you can't or don't want to get the HP Mk.20 then I would look for a FROG B.(I)8 and a replacement nose. I do wish one of the mainstream companies would do a B.2/6 kit!

John

I just used the Frog kit and converted by fitting  a cockpit/seat with Vac bubble canopy and nose to it, a lot easier to do!

Selwyn

• Like 2

I have the D. B. Productions Canberra B.2 resin nose, nacelle, cockpit, canopy, and wheels conversion set for the Italeri B-57. How about that combo? The Italeri B-57 needs to be re-scribed, but the conversion set is absolutely beautiful. Very nicely cast. I don't think it's still in production though.

Cheers,

Bill

13 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I have the D. B. Productions Canberra B.2 resin nose, nacelle, cockpit, canopy, and wheels conversion set for the Italeri B-57. How about that combo? The Italeri B-57 needs to be re-scribed, but the conversion set is absolutely beautiful. Very nicely cast. I don't think it's still in production though.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill I'd avoid the B.57 like the plague, get a  FROG/ Revell B(I)8 or the more resent Airfix 8, then you'd be good to go!

John

3 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Bill I'd avoid the B.57 like the plague, get a  FROG/ Revell B(I)8 or the more resent Airfix 8, then you'd be good to go!

Well I sure don't want the plague! Not with all my medical issues!    :)

Can you give a quick rundown of the major issues with the Italeri kit?

Cheers,

Bill

31 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Well I sure don't want the plague! Not with all my medical issues!    :)

Can you give a quick rundown of the major issues with the Italeri kit?

Cheers,

Bill

No Bill, I wouldn't wish any more maladies on you! As for the kit, if you're chopping the nose off that's the best part of the kit gone! from there back apart from the tail plains it's a mess, The wings are wrong in many ways, span, chord, shape, the panels have only accidental interpretations of the real thing with no representation of the unique features of the Martin built Canberra wing. The main wheels are too small and the wrong profile, the hub's are a passable stab at the Martin main wheel but that's faint praise. The next worst part is the rear fuselage, it's the wrong shape, almost area rule in shape. I did a more in-depth summery on my site if you want the full horror show. Italeri B.57 Thoughts It doesn't work on mobile phones though Bill, so if you can look at it via a PC/Laptop. 

John

Edited by canberra kid
added link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1