ANZ Boeing 787-900

Hi.  Finally able to make a start on this now I have my new mancave in operation. 

It will be finished as an Air New Zealand example ZK-NZG( the one I flew in from AKL to SYDney). I will be using Old Model Decals for this one.

Here are some pics of work done so far:

TZkJL3.jpg

Box and parts.
xtNTZF.jpg

rdmjmN.jpg

MZspAy.jpg

VZMpPE.jpg

UxIMin.jpg

GspEBD.jpg

Very nicely produced fan blades I have to say.
aodyMT.jpg

AyC8kS.jpg

X5uD6q.jpg

I think the pics are all self explanatory showing the various stages I have done so far.  

This is a series of firsts. First build in new shed, first experience with Zvezda kits and first build for 2021

• Like 12

That looks very nice, and I have to agree with you about the fan blades. In my opinion, Zvezda are up among the top kits for the airliners (my experience is limited though!). I am looking forward to seeing the transfers too.

All the best,

Ray

These are the decals I have for this build:

M1NcvV.jpg

And a couple progress pics.. Going a bit slower as its a bit too cold to stay in the shed too long despite having a little heater and it not being ma enough to warm it up.

hgVqyt.jpg

My way for this build in getting enough nose weight in and keeping it in place. A bit heath Robinson but will do the job hopefully.  Scratch built a bulkhead too.  The strip of lead I shaped to fit the fuselage will or should be held in place by those lengths of sprue.
GsrWaY.jpg

So far so good. The fuselage joined up and staying joined.  I have to say that the parts fit is impeccable on this kit. Reminds me of he 48th ICM C-45 I built a couple years ago or so. The surface texture is very much the same too... is there a connection between them?

• Like 6

A little bit more done today.   Primed some areas with white, added nose leg and one main gear leg, dry fitted wings and tail planes. The wing to fuselage join is very good. I lightly trimmed the mating surfaces to get a better fit and it works a treat,   With the temperature warming up a tad out there I might get more paint on.

9M5agL.jpg

jk2LKN.jpg

YhcEur.jpg

xgheHL.jpg

lcMHzA.jpg

Note one u/cart leg assembly in place.
YnqLAP.jpg

M1bOwk.jpg

Dry fit of wing assembly after white primer.
kn4sty.jpg

The kits window glazing are a superb fit to being quite flush with the outer surface of the fuselage. I did a dry run with the windscreen and again a very good fit.

The beauty of this subject is the aircraft is white all over except the polished leading edges to the flying surfaces. Even the u/c bays!

• Like 6

More done today.  Gloss white aerosolled on( Appliance white from yo know where). Left the tail end as a hand hold while spraying which will later be done with black. Just need to carefully mask out the demarcation between the two colours. All the cabin winows had drops of liquid masking. I just hope I covered them well. The wing is still only dry fitted at moment  but when really dry, will leave it a couple days, I will tend to the remaining work before transfer application.

B8PVGT.jpg

8BKDTC.jpg

zXVmYQ.jpg

There is the small issue regarding the fitting of the engines to do as well, plus the windscreen.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Paul J said:

Thanks for looking everyone.  Hoping to get the black bit done today.  

All the best with the masking for that. I hope you have better reference points on the kit than I did! It is looking good so far.

Ray

Evenin' all.  Well, I managed to get the masking and black colour this afternoon. waiting for the paint to dry now so I'll leave it for a day orso... I want to make sure it does dry. But to keep up with the images , here are some more.

HJAUtf.jpg

The engine pods.
p2EwXD.jpg

And some views of the model masked up and ready for the black......
BcB8sY.jpg

Note the wealth of images I printed off from website images to help me along as references.
fmEXeD.jpg

With the help of these printouts, I was able to get a good idea as to where the line should go working  with the cabin windows
XHNwqP.jpg

.... with a couple light coats applied to act as a 'key' for final coats.
8KGuM7.jpg

zneSpL.jpg

pbbVQV.jpg

The maskin wentt quite well. I just hope the shape of the black  demarcation is right when it all comes off.
s6yFF9.jpg

Wheels painted up.

So hopefully most of the rest of the build will happen by the weekend.

• Like 7

The great reveal.....

C6Ywy5.jpg

knqNoW.jpg

srnsOb.jpg

A few tiny bits of paint creeping under the masking revealed.  I'll need to very carefully fix this somehow.
9O2hWx.jpg

Also the shape of the demarcation needs some slight attention.

• Like 7

Progressing gradually.  Transfers now being applied. A bit of  a job especially getting the silver fern leaf logo in the right place.  I have found that by comparing the model with photos of the real thing the windows down the side differ between the kit decal sheet and real thing. On looking more closely I see that there are some blanked out on the real aeroplane so I will have to add a bit of white paint to the ones that are blanked out.

O5BzR6.jpg

The wing leading edges are a combination of silver decal stripe and paint.
R8v6Ia.jpg

CtlPH8.jpg

The silver fern is quite a sizeable item to trim and apply with a fair bit of sol applied.
NCPcxM.jpg

KLhl3T.jpg

Still a fair bit more to do as can be seen... but it is coming along.

• Like 8

Thanks for visiting all.  Yes the set is quite populated with a lot of stencilling. There are some for the wing underside with the oval inspection panels but of all the photos I have studied none seem to have these markings. So I will save them  for something maybe. Earlier this afternoon I added some more transfers. Having to do these gradually as the model is a bit of a handful being quite large for 1/144 and also to avoid risking dislodging decals before they dry.  On the minus side there are a few items that need careful looking at. For example the engine stencilling, despite being clearly marked left and right, need to be unpaired as they  are on the sheet. as they are, they both face the same way so one part for each need to be applied facing the right way and the other part the same so they all face the right way otherwise they don't work or fit.  I wasn't going to use the window strips as I had masked the clear parts  but I need to apply them where the windows get lost in the black portion of the colour scheme. But here, the window transfers do not really line up with the kit windows that well The pitches differ so I had to separate a few in order to line them up. But it might be that the decal stretches a bit and fall out of line with the kit windows. I still need to blank off a few windows either side though.  It sounds all very complicated but unless you are doing them its hard to explain.  Another reason why I sometimes prefer to not have windows on the kit and just use transfers.... as long as the transfers/decals are right and accurate to the type. Its easy enough to cut off any windows included that may be blanked on the real aeroplanes.  Anyway, tomorrow I will do some more and fit the engines and deal with any other remedies.

• Like 1

Some more decalling done recently. Its taking more time doing this than it did to just build and paint the subject.

I93DEi.jpg

LU9Mf3.jpg

pnc91q.jpg

Not a lot more to donow. Final stencilling transfers and fit the tail planes and windscreen , add framing to the latter and antenna. Then some touching up where necessary and a final top coat of clear stuff.

• Like 6

All finished now.  

guDbbW.jpg

JoiaZY.jpg

A593vq.jpg

O4Cpeo.jpg

More pics of the finished model over in gallery.  Enjoyable build this one mainly due to it being a fine kit. Decals posed no problems though I feel the main logo looks a tad too large and I had to jiggle the item to get the best fit. The 'Tiki' logo on the fin also a bit on the large side when compared to images on line.  Masking the black from the white was interesting but I think I got it about right.

Now all I have to do is find somewhere to put it... its quite a big thing to place somewhere.

Furthermore, I have just recieved a couple more sets of decals ffora 1/48th BN-2 islander and 1/72nd DHC-3 Otter both in civvy New Zealand markings. Not sure if I will have time to complete the BN-2 although its started with only seating fixed in place and engines assembled. ( will this qualify the 25% rule?). I had planned to save these fro the High WIng GB later in the year.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Paul J said:

The 'Tiki' logo on the fin

Its actually a "koru" Paul, but I'll let you off on that, however, if you are met by a Maori war party brandishing clubs when you eventually get here, you'll know you've been fingered. ;) :D It has come up a treat, I can see one in my future.

Steve.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Its actually a "koru" Paul, but I'll let you off on that, however, if you are met by a Maori war party brandishing clubs when you eventually get here, you'll know you've been fingered. ;) :D It has come up a treat, I can see one in my future.

Steve.

Cheers for the correction Steve. Shows how much I have to learn about N Z !

• Like 1