Grumman F5-F3/5 Hellcat Arrestor Hook

fishplanebeer

I'm thinking of making a Grumman Hellcat later this year so doing a bit of research in advance to ensure I have what I need based upon either the F3 or F5 from Eduard in 72nd scale which seems to be the go to kits in this scale.

I'm happy with most details as the MDF guide I have seems to be pretty comprehensive but I have one question regarding the tail/arrestor hook arrangement as this is proving to be a little elusive. I'd hoped to model the kit with the arrestor hook deployed but from all the pics/diagrams I've seen there is nothing showing it deployed when stationary, only in action photos when one is in the process of landing. I've looked at the sprue shots and instructions of the kits (I haven't bought it as yet) and the arrestor hook is not provided as a separate item and barely seems to be represented by just a small 'bump' at the base of the tail.

As Eduard kits are normally very highly detailed I would have expected the hook to available as a separate piece as it is quite important, however if it is never seen unless during the process of landing then I can see why and I can then build the kit accordingly but just want to check first.

Regards

Colin.

Here's some info on the hook, as has previously said, not really seen unless on landing or an 'unfortunate' occurance!

Drawing

Hellcat-FAA-F6FHMSEmperorSoFrance

Here's how I represented the hook on a build, note the holdback fixture below the hook ...

hook

hope this helps,

Colin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

IIRC, the arrestor hook on the Hellcat was deployed by the pilot pulling on a cockpit release lever. at which time it slid on rollers to the fully extended/down position. The hook assembly had to be manually returned and latched by one of the aircraft handlers after being disengaged from the arrestor cable. I believe it's up unless released by the pilot, and I'm sure the handlers got it back up pretty quickly so the point would not dig into the wood flight deck planking.  @Tailspin Turtle probably can quote you chapter and verse on the subject.

Mike

• Thanks 1

ISTR that there is footage wartime footage of mechanics servicing the arrester hook on a Hellcat on Indomitable where it had been extracted from its housing. That was over on the Armoured Carriers website. 

Now for the catch. I can’t find that video just now! Sorry. But here is the link to the site.

https://www.armouredcarriers.com

On 2/8/2021 at 3:46 PM, 72modeler said:

IIRC, the arrestor hook on the Hellcat was deployed by the pilot pulling on a cockpit release lever. at which time it slid on rollers to the fully extended/down position. The hook assembly had to be manually returned and latched by one of the aircraft handlers after being disengaged from the arrestor cable. I believe it's up unless released by the pilot, and I'm sure the handlers got it back up pretty quickly so the point would not dig into the wood flight deck planking.  @Tailspin Turtle probably can quote you chapter and verse on the subject.

Mike

The main reason for raising the hook after landing was so it didn’t catch on the next arresting cable as the airplane was taxied forward. I don’t know for sure whether it was raised and stowed by the two deckhands who rushed out as the airplane was coming to a stop or just raised it to a “stinger” position and it was then stowed after parking. More later...

• Like 1