RFI: Trumpeter Mig3 Late 1/48 (From Classic Feb 1942 Photo On Delivery) of 'For the Motherland'

Hi Brits-  Thanks again for all the help in WW2 Russian Colors and assistance you have given me.  I am starting my Russian building binge with a Mig3 late type in the classic 'For the Motherland' scheme in winter white on the day it was delivered as in the famous photo from Feb 1942.  As a Kid in the 1970's this was the only Russian ww2 airplane type I was familiar with as it was in a Big book of ww2 airplanes I had.  So this scheme was always in my head and I could think only of it as my first Russian ww2 model to build in my 55 years.  As the photo was on delivery, it did not have the underwing rockets nor the radio mast (which is too short in the kit), and was in near perfect condition.  I am lining up several more Russian planes to start my WW2 shelf of Russian types.  Hope you enjoy...  It was a fun build!  It is an interceptor and a small plane with a big engine!  I didn't realize it had these proportions until I built this kit...

Kit was Trumpeter.  I replaced the control surfaces with Resin set from Vector from Russia.  The Prop and Spinner is also Resin from Vector.  The Exhausts are Resin.  The PE seatbelts are AML that are the Russian type with the metal rings in the web and I cut them out of seat like in Massimo's pictures at his site.  Cockpit painted per help from this Forum and Russian Experten.  Paint is Gunsie Mr. Color Flat White over the Mr. Color C392 Soviet Lt. Blue with sharp mask per photos.  The Wheels are Humbrol 105 Green per this forum, The Gear Legs are A-14 Soviet Grey Primer from Model Air.  I masked and painted Tamiya XF7 the Arrows myself as a decal would be a mess over the exhausts.  The Decals are Hungarian Aero Decal Mig3 Set and worked great.  I tried to weather it as the photo but maybe did a little too much on the tail.  I did the Prop silver as Massimo suggested and it really looks great against the white airframe...  I lowered the flaps to about 35 to 40deg just as they were separate in the kit but not shown as a build option lowered, but did lower them to add interest.

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1