C-27 Spartan US Coast Guard - Italeri 1/72

Hi folks,

Have just completed this C27 Spartan 1/72 scale by Italeri. I will say that this fell under the 'cursed build' category. I am quite new to plastic kit building, this is my 6th and the largest one I have attempted. The kit itself is fine and went together well for the most part, but various 'events' happened during the build that meant it took almost a year on and off to get complete!

The learning experiences were:

- Never leave a partly-assembled kit balancing on the edge of a table, no matter how unlikely you think it is for someone to walk past and knock it off.  Ms Wang came into the living room one evening, said "I'm so sorry" and I know immediately what happened. Wings separated from the body after I had finished all the filling and sanding for them, relationships have been ended over less I think! :D 

- Painting white. Understand now this is not to be taken lightly.. I tried some pre-shading and made this far too dark, with the end result that it took almost 10-12 coats (I lost track) off off-white and white to cover the shading to an acceptable level. Which leads on to..

- If you ever drop an airbrush, inspect it carefully for damage! I managed to drop mine nose-first while cleaning it. I thought it had just broken the needle - damn. But after obtaining a new needle used the airbrush - loaded with the bright orange/red - only for the end of the nozzle to explode and cover the half the aircraft in red spray. I believe I'd previously managed to damage the nozzle end as well. I have to be honest I had to put the whole thing down and go and sit in a darkened room at this point!

But eventually I did get back to the kit and managed to finish it. I tried to go for a cleaner finish, in line with many of the photos that you see of the aircraft. Definitely view it as a learning process and it's made me a bit more battle-hardened than I was before! Any comments or criticism gratefully received. 

The kit is entirely standard. I did get an Eduard masking tape which I have to say was a great time saver and did a great job of stopping any paint bleed. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Spartan1.jpg

• Like 65

That is a very fine model of a very pretty aeroplane. You dont see many of these built up.

Congratulations and you have learned the secret of modelling....not patience but persistence. 

If you are producing results of this quality after only your 6th build then you are well on the way to be  a very fine modeller. 

regards 

Brian 

• Like 1

Well,one would call this "Murphy's Law",I know very well how this feels,when building a model which was thought being an easy job,turns into a full scale war...😉

It turned out brilliant in the end.

Very nice,clean and sharp build.👍👍👏

I was always interested in this kit and wondered how it would look.

Certainly now on my wishlist

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BKirwan said:

That is a very fine model of a very pretty aeroplane. You dont see many of these built up.

Congratulations and you have learned the secret of modelling....not patience but persistence. 

If you are producing results of this quality after only your 6th build then you are well on the way to be  a very fine modeller. 

regards 

Brian 

Well said and I agree wholeheartedly. That's a beautiful model, in spite of the accidents. You can be most proud of your work.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the kind words and comments, really appreciated! 

I love the comment about persistence being a key skill of model building, have definitely found that to be the case!

10 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Nicely done!  It really looks the part, and white is a difficult color to work with.  Did you have any problems with the fit, particularly of the interior, and in closing the fuselage halves afterward?

It probably wasn't the tightest fit of a model that I've made but seemed to go together fairly well, certainly compared to a previous kit I made which was the Italeri Jaguar (which I have to say was an absolute nightmare and must have been half it's original size by the time I had finished sanding it, although I found out after building was a much older kit). I did do the version with all doors and rear ramp closed, I'm not sure what it would be like with an open ramp but it is the same piece just placed in a different position so should be straightforward. If you can get hold of Model Aircraft magazine July 2018 (Vol 17, Issue 07 - has a big dark grey Avro AEW 2 and a Zero on the front cover) that has an example build in it with all of the doors/ramp open. 

• Thanks 1

Hello Filbert,

Despite the throwbacks during construction (we all have these sometimes) you did a splendid job.

It is a eye catcher first class.

US Coast Guard planes are definitely clean. Always.

For the modeler, these color schemes gives a lot of color on the camouflage and grey model table. 

Interesting is the fact, that these planes were takeovers from the USAF. If the buy was politically motivated I don't know.

For sure was the fact, that the USAF was not happy with the AC. 

As for the Coast Guard, their fixed AC are getting smaller. No endurance like the Hercules C-130.

Operating with different types, from different company's gives a headache to the supply and maintenance department.

Currently; USCG HC-130H /C-27J Spartan and the Ocean Sentry/Minotaur  HC144 (Airbus Military CN-235). Nice model in 1/72 scale! 👍

All in all ten different types of helicopters and fixed wing aircraft. To much in these days.

Regards,

Orion

• Like 1