Big In Japan - Classic Japanese Kits GB Chat

2 minutes ago, Robert said:

I have an the Hasegawa 1/72 Grumman Cougar, Panther and Tiger that l should build.

:wub: 

The Cougar and Panther are from 1978. The Tiger is from 1981.   That's basically the Golden Age of Hasegawa!  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Can you add me to the list please. I have an the Hasegawa 1/72 Grumman Cougar, Panther and Tiger that l should build.

Regards

Robert

Welcome aboard mate, great choices

Cheers Pat 

Just thinking up some corny GB names here Pat? 

- Godzilla vs. King Kong Mega GB 

- I think I’m “Turning Japanese” 

- Sushi Roll and Raw Fish - Far East GB 

- Fook Me and Fook you! (From Austen Powers fame!). 

Yes, they are all bad but I’m sure someone can come up with a better title. 

As for me, surprisingly I don't have too many that qualify although Fujimi’s excellent range of Skyhawks and Spey Phantoms did initially pop their heads up between 1986-88 so they might be something to consider. My 1972 Hasegawa Neptune is also a possibility, although doubtful due to the work it needs. 

I’ll consider joining once I see all the great builds announce themselves and probably get hooked in again. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 2

Are we still using 1990 as the cut off date?  That would mean that the current releases of 1/72 F-16s would be eligible as it was first released in 1987.  I believe the 1/48 F-4s were first released in 1982.

This is my choice for the GB, first released in 1972.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-js-085-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4e-phantom-ii--311968

1 hour ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Are we still using 1990 as the cut off date?  That would mean that the current releases of 1/72 F-16s would be eligible as it was first released in 1987.  I believe the 1/48 F-4s were first released in 1982.

This is my choice for the GB, first released in 1972.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-js-085-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4e-phantom-ii--311968

Yes, unless anybody has strong feelings to the contrary I'm happy with 1990, that's still 30+ years ago :surprised:

Great choice, you're magnificence :worthy:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

unless anybody has strong feelings to the contrary I'm happy with 1990, that's still 30+ years ago :surprised:

Which means a unsettlingly significant proportion of The Stash is eligible for this one.  :yikes:  I think I'll voluntarily restrict myself to kits that could be considered "heritage".  Any other course of action takes significant strides down the road to madness!  :mental:  

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Which means a unsettlingly significant proportion of The Stash is eligible for this one.  :yikes:  I think I'll voluntarily restrict myself to kits that could be considered "heritage".  Any other course of action takes significant strides down the road to madness!  :mental:  

Embrace the Madness, you will be in good company  :fool:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Embrace the Madness, you will be in good company  :fool:

I have 0 kits that are eligible in this one. I should, but I don't. At the moment, at least. That'll probably be corrected before this GB starts 🙂.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Tempted to build one of these as it was the first Hasegawa kit I ever bought, from a model shop in Ipswich around about the time Ipswich Town won the FA Cup. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-e6-a-6a-intruder--192072

Unfortunately I have few aircraft kits in the stash.  

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

I have 0 kits that are eligible in this one. I should, but I don't. At the moment, at least. That'll probably be corrected before this GB starts 🙂.

I’m in same position. 

• Like 2

I have three kits which fit the bill. More than I thought actually. But this GB will be a good excuse to build the 1981 boxing of Mitsuwa Model's Mitsubishi Fuso truck. 

20200825185750-f5a490cc-me.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

That's not true V-P !

2021-10-28_09-41-08

Your Hasegawa Nose Art B-17 dates from 1989  originally from 1976, just trying to help, or of course I could post you something ! :wicked:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

That's not true V-P !

Your Hasegawa Nose Art B-17 dates from 1989  originally from 1976, just trying to help, or of course I could post you something ! :wicked:

Cheers Pat

I know that Pat... but it's already started! I have set my eyes on another one to replace it, though, so it'll be sorted soon 😇. V-P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Is it OK to use aftermarket decals (for a non-kit scheme)? :pray:

Yes.  That has always been so in other Classic GBs.  Given the age of many of the classic kits, it would be unrealistic to expect the decals to have remained usable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Yes.  That has always been so in other Classic GBs.  Given the age of many of the classic kits, it would be unrealistic to expect the decals to have remained usable.

Thanks Enzo.  I'll be along then with a Hasegawa Airbus A300 (released 1981), dressed up as a Laker Skytrain :coolio:.

• Like 2

I have checked Scalemates and lots of my stash was tooled before 1990, so is it the spirit of this classic GB to use aftermarket, not just decals but pitot, bang seats etc? If so and 'main' GB dates are as proposed this morning I could be in with a Fujimi F-4, probably a FG1 or FGR2, or a Hasegawa F-104, probably a S. (and never more than one 😀)

Chris

• Like 1

On 15/11/2022 at 11:26, Chrisj2003 said:

I have checked Scalemates and lots of my stash was tooled before 1990, so is it the spirit of this classic GB to use aftermarket, not just decals but pitot, bang seats etc? If so and 'main' GB dates are as proposed this morning I could be in with a Fujimi F-4, probably a FG1 or FGR2, or a Hasegawa F-104, probably a S. (and never more than one 😀)

Chris

Is that ok Pat @JOCKNEY

• Like 1

I'm in.  I'll do an inventory and see where I stand.  I know I have some ground vehicles that qualify, but I am not sure of I want to keep them for the Feeling Deserted GB...hint, hint...or maybe build just one of them...😉  I also have an aircraft or two lurking.  Might finally build that catapult...

• Like 1

Well seeing as how I only managed to build the F-102A for the Century Series GB from my Hasegawa 00962 "Delta Combo" boxing, I guess I should do the decent thing and build the F-106 too to clear the box!

Plastic originally released in 1969, my combo boxing is from 2011 with "new parts". Not quite sure what parts were added or changed, looking at older instructions online for both kits.

I've also got their Sea Harrier but I'm not going to have time for both.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Is that ok Pat @JOCKNEY

Hi Chris

Apologies for the muppetry in not answering your previous post.

I've no problem with aftermarket,  provided the spirit of the original kit isn't lost.

Some of the older kits decals were next to useless (Novo) so you had to use alternatives. 

Let me know what you have I mind, I'm sure it will be OK.

Cheers Pat 

On 11/11/2022 at 8:12 AM, vppelt68 said:

I'm in the same boat. All my 'first golden age' stuff is Airfix.

Happily, Tamiya continue to churn out much of their ancient 1/35 back catalogue, so I'll probably pick one of those..😁

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Chris

Apologies for the muppetry in not answering your previous post.

I've no problem with aftermarket,  provided the spirit of the original kit isn't lost.

Some of the older kits decals were next to useless (Novo) so you had to use alternatives. 

Let me know what you have I mind, I'm sure it will be OK.

Cheers Pat 

Leaning towards Fuijimi FG1. It’s got 43 Sqdn decals for a grey machine but I’m not convinced about larger underwing serials so I’ll probably go aftermarket. Thanks

Chris

• Like 1