Big In Japan - Classic Japanese Kits GB Chat

21 minutes ago, IanC said:

I'm in the same boat. All my 'first golden age' stuff is Airfix.

Happily, Tamiya continue to churn out much of their ancient 1/35 back catalogue, so I'll probably pick one of those..😁

D***, I don't understand what kept me only thinking of Hasegawa kits for this one :doh:.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good morning

Just a little question: I have a box of 1/72 Hobby 2000 F-4C, but everyone knows this kit is originally Hasegawa, is it possible to make it in this GB?

Thank you

Ettore :bye:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ettore said:

Good morning

Just a little question: I have a box of 1/72 Hobby 2000 F-4C, but everyone knows this kit is originally Hasegawa, is it possible to make it in this GB?

Thank you

Generally speaking in Classic group builds as long as the base kit was from the right company (Hasegawa). As well as meeting the age requirements, they are usually allowed in. Though Pat @JOCKNEY can confirm this. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ettore said:

Good morning

Thank you

Best bet is look on Scalemates and the timeline on that kit should confirm original manufacturer and date etc

But I'm sure Pat will be along soon to confirm or deny 😃

If its originally hasegawa I would think it's OK depending on the original date

Ian 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ettore said:

Good morning

Thank you

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Generally speaking in Classic group builds as long as the base kit was from the right company (Hasegawa). As well as meeting the age requirements, they are usually allowed in. Though Pat @JOCKNEY can confirm this. 

2 hours ago, Ettore said:

Thanks Corsair........

I'll wait JOCKNEY.

Ettore

1 hour ago, Redstaff said:

Best bet is look on Scalemates and the timeline on that kit should confirm original manufacturer and date etc

But I'm sure Pat will be along soon to confirm or deny 😃

If its originally hasegawa I would think it's OK depending on the original date

Ian 

Good morning Ettore / Gents

Absolutely,  no problem with a rebox of an original Hasegawa kit that was within our 1990 date.

As you rightly say, check scalemates to establish its heritage. 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

I think I've decided on my entry for this - as a kid I couldn't even dream of a big airfield diorama but now I have the various US ground equipment sets (all pre-90) and am going to do the most over-serviced early-mould F-4E you ever saw....start-carts, weapons carts, crew vans, ladders, floodlights, swarms of ground crew - just like in the pictures in the instructions!

• Like 11

Hi Pat, 

yes, I think I will join this GB. Tempting, deliciously tempting...

I will go double Japanese: someone (name withheld for the moment) gave me a 1983 Fujimi B6N1 "Jill".

Small, easy-looking, not to mention very good looking. The perfect candidate.

Put me in please!

Cheers mate.

JR

• Like 2

How I never spotted this GB before I don't know... or I did and I have forgotten it... who knows?

Anyhow count me in, I have just found an 1/700 IJN Ayanami in my stash that dates from 1972 apparently, it's 11 years older than I am!  I'll build that as it is out of my comfort zone and I will see what else I have, bound to have a Gundam or 2 from that age - infact I have one from 1988 the same year my other half was born (useless info there).  Now I just need to find it - Bandai Gundam Sentinel MSA-0011 (Bst) S-Gundam Booster Unit Version.  I do love the Gundams from Sentinel.

Kind regards,

Dazz

• Like 2

Something rather small from Japan, but looking at this 1980 rebox of the Classic Hasegawa quality product of the time, makes me believe the 12-year old V-P back then wouldn't have known enough to appreciate how good this kit looked like, and still does! And yes, it's still bagged!

2022-12-12_04-49-49

• Like 7

On 29/11/2022 at 23:10, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Pat, Can I join this one please? I didn’t get to do much building this year but could kick start with a Tamiya Honda NSR500. It’s a 2005 rebox of the 1987 tooling. Cheers. Nigel 

Hi Nigel

Fantastic choice, double Japanese 👌 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

On 04/12/2022 at 18:25, jean said:

Hi Pat, 

yes, I think I will join this GB. Tempting, deliciously tempting...

I will go double Japanese: someone (name withheld for the moment) gave me a 1983 Fujimi B6N1 "Jill".

Small, easy-looking, not to mention very good looking. The perfect candidate.

Put me in please!

Cheers mate.

JR

Great stuff JR

Delighted you have decided to join with "Jill", I'll not tell Karen about the other woman in your life !

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

On 04/12/2022 at 21:12, Dazzio said:

How I never spotted this GB before I don't know... or I did and I have forgotten it... who knows?

Anyhow count me in, I have just found an 1/700 IJN Ayanami in my stash that dates from 1972 apparently, it's 11 years older than I am!  I'll build that as it is out of my comfort zone and I will see what else I have, bound to have a Gundam or 2 from that age - infact I have one from 1988 the same year my other half was born (useless info there).  Now I just need to find it - Bandai Gundam Sentinel MSA-0011 (Bst) S-Gundam Booster Unit Version.  I do love the Gundams from Sentinel.

Kind regards,

Dazz

Hi Dazz

Delighted to have you join us mate, I kept a seat free for you :wink:

I love your choices and look forward to seeing them

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Something rather small from Japan, but looking at this 1980 rebox of the Classic Hasegawa quality product of the time, makes me believe the 12-year old V-P back then wouldn't have known enough to appreciate how good this kit looked like, and still does! And yes, it's still bagged!

2022-12-12_04-49-49

Great stuff V-P

Can you have a word with the budding 12 year old V-P to watch out for gluey fingerprints.

This has all the makings of a classic, best of luck mate :like:

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Can you have a word with the budding 12 year old V-P to watch out for gluey fingerprints.

I think that using Tamiya ET instead of Britfix 77 will help me avoid that. I'll try to be patient, though, and to not melt the landing gear attachments with a ton of glue, and let them harden sufficiently before setting the kit on its legs :giggle:. I believe I will like this build a lot, too, the kit looks delicious!

• Like 2

Just stumbled across this after seeing the entry in the official 2023 GB list…

Am I correct in thinking that any of the Imai 1/350 scale sailing ships from the late 1970s are eligible here?  (And the later Minicraft re-releases too?)

-Bill

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RC Boater Bill said:

Just stumbled across this after seeing the entry in the official 2023 GB list…

Am I correct in thinking that any of the Imai 1/350 scale sailing ships from the late 1970s are eligible here?  (And the later Minicraft re-releases too?)

-Bill

Hi Bill

They sound ideal, delighted to see more floaty subjects being built :like:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

On 12/12/2022 at 9:01 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Dazz

Delighted to have you join us mate, I kept a seat free for you :wink:

I love your choices and look forward to seeing them

Cheers Pat 

AAww cheers mate, nice to be welcomed here. :)

I am racking my brains for stuff that I have that would fit the bill, although I am trying to keep away from aircraft for this one just to mix it up a bit.

We'll see what happens when it starts, but the Ex-S is definitely on the cards, hopefully something else.

Kind regards,

Darren

• Like 2

I've decided to do this one. I have a later boxing in the stash but the sprues are the same and so I'll use the original figures and build it in its desert plumage as per the first 1976 release.

spacer.png

Best wishes,

Ian

• Like 4

Basic question:  Does the “1990 cutoff” mean kits first released in that year are out, or are they the last ones to be eligible?  

As I looked through my stash, I thought  the 1/72 Minicraft B-24 might qualify- so I looked it up on Scalemates, and it shows there as first released in 1990.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RC Boater Bill said:

or are they the last ones to be eligible?  

This… The newer date usually indicates anything molded up to this year. It can be a more recent boxing of the kit. However the original release must fall before the cut-off year. 

• Thanks 1