Big In Japan - Classic Japanese Kits GB Chat

20 hours ago, RC Boater Bill said:

Basic question:  Does the “1990 cutoff” mean kits first released in that year are out, or are they the last ones to be eligible?  

As I looked through my stash, I thought  the 1/72 Minicraft B-24 might qualify- so I looked it up on Scalemates, and it shows there as first released in 1990.

Hi,

But is Minicraft Japanese though?

I honestly don't know for sure, but I had never thought of them as a Japanese company.

Cheers, Stefan.

14 hours ago, Stefan Buysse said:

Hi,

I honestly don't know for sure, but I had never thought of them as a Japanese company.

Cheers, Stefan.

Stefan,

That is a great question!    

I always thought they were, as older kits from the same molds often showed up in Arii boxes.   So I always thought of them as coming from a Japanese mold.

A quick websearch leads me to say “No, they aren’t a Japanese company.”   They are a US importer of kits from other companies’ molds.   So while they did rebox some Arii kits, including the 1/350 sailing ships, they seem to primarily have focused on Korean companies’ molds, such as Academy.    So like many other kits, you need to know whose mold the kit comes from.   

My conclusion:  The Minicraft 1/72 B-24 kits are not eligible for this GB.  

No problem here— I do have plenty of other options in the stash, including both Imai and Arii sailing ship kits…..including some later released in Minicraft boxes!

Edited by RC Boater Bill
  • Like 2

Thanks for the heads up re Minicraft kits, every day's a school day !

I think we all need to use "Scalemates " to guide us if in doubt  :like:

There are some great kits potentially joining our GB, it promises to be a real classic !

Cheers Pat 

Looking through the Scalemates database, it is easy to search for manufacturer by date.  I found that Tamiya originally released their T-55 in 1965 (year of my birth) and that kit remained almost unchanged until 1974.  Then they re-released it in 2002 with new tooling, so I guess the newer kit would not qualify.  

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-mt112-t55--1074502

--John

• Like 1

Darn.  I meant to add more...I checked Evil Bay and there is nothing listed for the old kit.  Only the new toolings.  

I do like the way you can search on Scalemates via year of production.  That helps a lot.

However, their Merkava does qualify.  I built it back in '85 when it first came out.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

I share your 1965 DOB :like:

I do have this Pat.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/minicraft-hasegawa-1083-mikoyan-gurevich-mig-17-fresco--193771

I am trying my best to not buy anything new.  I need to deplete the stash a bit.  Unfortunately,  I have started building vehicles again...😆 So they are part of my madness again.

I'm February, '65.  You?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

I do have this Pat.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/minicraft-hasegawa-1083-mikoyan-gurevich-mig-17-fresco--193771

I am trying my best to not buy anything new.  I need to deplete the stash a bit.  Unfortunately,  I have started building vehicles again...😆 So they are part of my madness again.

I'm February, '65.  You?

Looks ideal, I built the same kit many years ago and it turns out really well.

March 65 for me, I was due on St Patrick's Day so no prizes for guessing where the name came from !

Cheers Pat 

On 12/22/2022 at 1:42 AM, RC Boater Bill said:

Stefan,

That is a great question!    

I always thought they were, as older kits from the same molds often showed up in Arii boxes.   So I always thought of them as coming from a Japanese mold.

A quick websearch leads me to say “No, they aren’t a Japanese company.”   They are a US importer of kits from other companies’ molds.   So while they did rebox some Arii kits, including the 1/350 sailing ships, they seem to primarily have focused on Korean companies’ molds, such as Academy.    So like many other kits, you need to know whose mold the kit comes from.   

My conclusion:  The Minicraft 1/72 B-24 kits are not eligible for this GB.  

No problem here— I do have plenty of other options in the stash, including both Imai and Arii sailing ship kits…..including some later released in Minicraft boxes!

A good number of Hasegawa kits were also sold in the US by Minicraft before they started to sell Academy kit. These usually retained the Hasegawa logo in the box together with Minicraft's.

• Thanks 1

Just a thought... Some Hasegawa and Fujimi kits released before 1990 were so good that they still hold their own today compared to much more recent competitors. Thinking of potential candidates in my stash I find so many kits that while well within the timeframe allowed could hardly be described as "oldies".. that of course means that Japanese companies were at the forefront of the hobby in those days. Now should I build say a Hasegawa F-104 or Phantom even if it would not feel like a "classic"? Or maybe I should look farther back to kits like the F-102, that do feel like coming from a different era...

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 4

Hi Pat,

I'm going to throw another in the ring so that I have a 50 / 50 chance of completing the GB.

1:12 Honda Monkey, again from Tamiya. Always wanted one of these so took advantage of the BOGOF from Kent Models.

I'll start 2 threads and see what happens.

Hope that's OK

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Scrub that, Just realised the criteria doesn't fit   :whistle:

I'm really sorry Nigel

That kit would have been amazing.

I wonder what happened to all the actual bikes, I haven't seen one in decades !

Still plenty of time to find another plastic victim for this GB, and could the Monkey be the catalyst for a separate GB ?

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I'm really sorry Nigel

That kit would have been amazing.

I wonder what happened to all the actual bikes, I haven't seen one in decades !

Still plenty of time to find another plastic victim for this GB, and could the Monkey be the catalyst for a separate GB ?

Cheers Pat 

No worries Pat. You could be right re. a GB but I might see if it fits another first. No matter, I’ll be on the lookout for a parallel build 😉

On 12/21/2022 at 5:41 PM, Stefan Buysse said:

Hi,

Cheers, Stefan.

I'd say yes. Minicraft was much like MPC, I built MPC kits for years, not realizing they were reboxed Airfix kits. Minicraft was a US distributor of Hasegawa kits in their own boxes. Lately they've been doing Academy stuff...