Big In Japan - Classic Japanese Kits GB Chat

I'm shocked!  😮  

My Kettenkrad is coming along nicely so I thought I would add another classic Tamiya 1/35 kit into the mix.  Maybe a Kubelwagen.   However, Scalemates claims that the first Tamiya Kubelwagen was released in 1997.  Surely that can't be right?   I remember seeing Kubelwagens in Military Modelling magazine in the 70s.

Edit:  Mystery solved.   There were Tamiya Kubelwagens in the 70s.   However, they were billed as a "Volkswagen jeep" which confused Scalemates.

I'd still like to build one but all the ones I can find are going for ludicrous prices!  :fraidnot:   I wonder if a modern Kubelwagen kit would be eligibe in the Transports GB.

I decided to start clipping and assembling some parts of a Tamiya Morris Mini Cooper today, as part of our IPMS group demonstrating at the local model railway show.  I was thinking it was a reasonably modern kit but just discovered it came out 40 years ago!  The fact I built it back then should have been a clue...

Anyway, may do some WIP photos and turn it into a 2nd GB thread.  It is a really lovely kit, usually all the Tam minis are stupid price nowadays but this was sensibly priced at Middle Wallop in November.

• Like 2

Just catching up on everyone's progress today, apologies if I haven't visited your build for a while, shockingly I've been trying to build one of mine as well !

Meanwhile a big thank you to @JeroenSfor doing such a great job of the build list :like:

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

shockingly I've been trying to build one of mine as well !

That is shocking, Pat! Don't you get carried away now... 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Just catching up on everyone's progress today, apologies if I haven't visited your build for a while, shockingly I've been trying to build one of mine as well !

Wot?  A GB host actually building a model?  Inconceivable!  :lol: 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Wot?  A GB host actually building a model?  Inconceivable!  :lol: 

It's more of an ambition than a reality,  but it's the thought that counts  :wink:

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Creepy Pete said:

I would like to join with this kit, if that's alright. This boxing is from 2013, but the kit was first released in 1988. I thought it was a little bit older, but at least it's still before 1990.

4ebDyx5.jpg

Its very cute but VERY green- sunglasses included?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I think we need to open a thread for kits moulded in horrid colours.

I've got a ex-Frog Barracuda in bright orange, but I'm scared to take it out of the box....😲

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

I've got a ex-Frog Barracuda in bright orange, but I'm scared to take it out of the box....😲

Maybe some sort of eye protection may be in order.   Do you have welding goggles?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Maybe some sort of eye protection may be in order.   Do you have welding goggles?

Beer goggles are the only ones I have, I'm afraid.... 🤪

• Haha 7

11 hours ago, Jinxman said:

seems like a GB proposal to be- 'the what were they smoking when they ordered the styrene GB proposal'

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

26 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

seems like a GB proposal to be- 'the what were they smoking when they ordered the styrene GB proposal'

Sounds like the an early proposal for another round of Matchbox… that would make it MB GB Mk.3 !!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Here is something I found on evilbay.

spacer.png

I wasn't aware of this company.  Scalemates displays a number of their kits but it seems as though the company mostly distributed Airfix kits in the Japanese market.

The kit was originally released in 1972. 

I will start building it when I have reduced my in progress count - which currently stands at 26 :mental: 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Here is something I found on evilbay.

spacer.png

I wasn't aware of this company.  Scalemates displays a number of their kits but it seems as though the company mostly distributed Airfix kits in the Japanese market.

The kit was originally released in 1972. 

I will start building it when I have reduced my in progress count - which currently stands at 26 :mental: 

From the eidai general aviation I've done over the years it should be rather fun. I think there was crossover between them and arii 

• Thanks 1

On 19/03/2023 at 19:20, Enzo the Magnificent said:

kits moulded in horrid colours

I've got an Fw187 moulded in brown. It's not a horrid colour at all - every time I look at the sprues I get an urge to find some chocolate!

I've been a bit frustrated at the amount of "adding bits to the kit" work that I've had to do on the F-106, so I just scored a cheap (fiver) 1970s 1/72 Hasegawa Ki-61 off the bay:

187026-11611-pristine.jpg

A couple of sidewall boxes, a stick and some seat belts should be all the extras I need on that for a simple build (oh, and a venturi) (I should stop looking at the Tamiya instructions) (and should the tailplane be red as well as the fin?) (heck, here we go again...).

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Seeing as the Lotus 99t is finished barring sorting out the base to display it with the bodywork off, it looks like I may have time for another. I'm going  with another legend to us in the UK that was James Hunt and his McClaren M23. Mine is a later rebox, but the original kit was 1977. Built oob, except for aftermarket decals as it wouldn't look right without the Marlboro decals which aren't on the kits decal sheet. I'll start a thread when I make a start on the kit.

20230322_174021

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Marlboro decals which aren't on the kits

The cigarette advertising is a huge part of the colour scheme. What do they put in instead? Do they leave it blank? Maybe they could do a deal with Nicorette for some alternative advertising?

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

The cigarette advertising is a huge part of the colour scheme. What do they put in instead? Do they leave it blank?

It's the same with the JPS Lotus kits.  All the other advertising is there, just not the JPS logos.   Oddly enough, the Tamiya Lotus 99T has the Camel logos.

• Like 1

It's like Enzo has said, everything else is usually there but not the cigarette advertising. However, they are usually readily available.

The Camel ones being an exception for some unknown reason

I think  Tamiya have a few licencing issues over the years though as the later boxed MP4/8 I did hadn't got the Shell logos on the sheet, but the early boxed ones did 🤔

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Seeing as the Lotus 99t is finished barring sorting out the base to display it with the bodywork off, it looks like I may have time for another. I'm going  with another legend to us in the UK that was James Hunt and his McClaren M23. Mine is a later rebox, but the original kit was 1977. Built oob, except for aftermarket decals as it wouldn't look right without the Marlboro decals which aren't on the kits decal sheet. I'll start a thread when I make a start on the kit.

20230322_174021

I have this version of the kit too, and some Marlboro decals.

However it is accurate without them; as long as you model the 1976 German GP, cigarette advertising was banned.  However that particular GP became one of the dark days of F1.

• Like 3

On 20/03/2023 at 10:37, Rabbit Leader said:

Sounds like the an early proposal for another round of Matchbox… that would make it MB GB Mk.3 !!

Is that you volunteering us again Dave ! :doh:

• Haha 1