Big In Japan - Classic Japanese Kits GB Chat

Hi Pat,

So let me see if I have got this right - sorry if it has been asked and answered previously. The only Japanese kit I have left in my stash I think is the Hasegawa A-6E Intruder which I bought in the early 1990's. The original A-6A kit was released in the late 1960's and Hasegawa may have updated the contents slightly since then - in this case they added the turret under the nose for the sensors. Does that qualify? If not, no worries as I had intended to build it in the Salty Sea Dog GB.

Pete

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PeterB said:

The only Japanese kit I have left in my stash I think is the Hasegawa A-6E Intruder which I bought in the early 1990's.

Is it this one?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-709-a-6e-intruder--192047

The original moulds are from 1968, while that particular boxing is from 1987.    But it doesn't really matter about the date of the box.  If you can find the kit on that timeline, then it's eligible. :thumbsup:   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Is it this one?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-709-a-6e-intruder--192047

The original moulds are from 1968, while that particular boxing is from 1987.    But it doesn't really matter about the date of the box.  If you can find the kit on that timeline, then it's eligible. :thumbsup:   

Certainly is Enzo - only cost me £3.99 from a discount store in Leeds back in the 1990's. 

Hi Pat,

I somehow missed out on the Frog boxing and ended up buying my old one in the late 70's. Basically this is the same kit which was pretty crude compared with their later Prowler, but they have corrected a few of the issues, such as a proper tail hook, ECM equipment and notches in the flaps to clear the drop tanks when carried. It still has solid unstaggered "seats" moulded as part of the rear bulkhead, a dodgy IP and no stick AFAIK. Likewise poor pylons/MER and the old "skinny" slick bombs. It will need a fair bit of work as and when I build it. According to Scalemates the "corrected" version was released in 1987 with "new parts" so hopefully it will be OK.

Pete

• Like 3

Hello Pat,

I would love to join in with this GB, especially as I've got a number of Japanese kits from the 70's in the stash and need some motivation to start them.

Dave

• Like 5

2 hours ago, halcyonjet said:

Hello Pat,

I would love to join in with this GB, especially as I've got a number of Japanese kits from the 70's in the stash and need some motivation to start them.

Dave

Hi Dave

Great to have you with us, fill your boots mate the more the merrier  :like:

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

I think the Sd.Kfz.223 might be ok too.  Scalemates says it was released in '75 but the boxing I have says 'new tool'.  I think that is a reference to the PE pieces now included in the kit.  What do you think Pat?  Also the British Special Air Service Jeep is ok since it was released in '75.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

I think the Sd.Kfz.223 might be ok too.  Scalemates says it was released in '75 but the boxing I have says 'new tool'.  I think that is a reference to the PE pieces now included in the kit.  What do you think Pat?  Also the British Special Air Service Jeep is ok since it was released in '75.

Hi John 

Yes I think you are correct about the 223, so it and the SAS Jeep are both very welcome to join. 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I assume it’s okay to build a classic Japanese kit of a non-Japanese subject?  On that basis I plan to the 1976(?) Hasegawa/AAHales B-17 A Bit O Lace!

If the rules were all-Japan only I would go for Tamiya’s 7th 1/24 kit, the Group 5 Celica but I fancy a change from cars as I’ve done 3 in a row with a 4th in progress!

After all a bare metal finish is bound to be easier than shiny gloss paint!

• Like 2

This may be as good a place as any to start this discussion. What are Tamiya's greatest hits in 1/35 from the 70s and 80s?

I know a lot of people still buy the old panther and Pzkw II. I think the Panther is riddled with issues, so not sure why it's still popular, but some of Tamiya's stuff from that era holds up quite well 

In terms of accuracy, the following come to mind

-Chi-Ha and Ho-Ni 

-The small German Armored cars.SdKfz 222 and 223, and the larger 8 wheeler too.

-The LRDG Chevy and Quad gun tractor

-Churchill Crocodile 

-Landrover ambulance

-I think it was either the Chieftain or Challenger that Matt McDoogle built into a real cracker on his blog some years ago.

Other worthy contenders?

19 hours ago, malpaso said:

I assume it’s okay to build a classic Japanese kit of a non-Japanese subject?  On that basis I plan to the 1976(?) Hasegawa/AAHales B-17 A Bit O Lace!

If the rules were all-Japan only I would go for Tamiya’s 7th 1/24 kit, the Group 5 Celica but I fancy a change from cars as I’ve done 3 in a row with a 4th in progress!

After all a bare metal finish is bound to be easier than shiny gloss paint!

Hi @malpaso

The B-17 would be very welcome to join the GB, as its the kit that has to originate from Japan,  the subject is completely open to choice.

I'm planning to build a Hasegawa Heinkel 51 floatplane for example. 

Look forward to following the build.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SoftScience said:

This may be as good a place as any to start this discussion. What are Tamiya's greatest hits in 1/35 from the 70s and 80s?

I know a lot of people still buy the old panther and Pzkw II. I think the Panther is riddled with issues, so not sure why it's still popular, but some of Tamiya's stuff from that era holds up quite well 

In terms of accuracy, the following come to mind

-Chi-Ha and Ho-Ni 

-The small German Armored cars.SdKfz 222 and 223, and the larger 8 wheeler too.

-The LRDG Chevy and Quad gun tractor

-Churchill Crocodile 

-Landrover ambulance

-I think it was either the Chieftain or Challenger that Matt McDoogle built into a real cracker on his blog some years ago.

Other worthy contenders?

For me the German 8 ton SD.Kfz.7/1 Halftrack with the 20mm 4 barrelled Flak gun springs to mind :like:

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Room for another one? I have the original Tamiya Panther that is in need of building and I thought this would be a great GB for it. (It says it's 1990 but I think most of it is nearly 50 years old.)

Is it this one?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-mm165-panzerkampfwagen-v-panther--132515 

If so, it's originaly from 1968.  It may not be the most accurate Panther out there, but it's a lot of fun to build. :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Yep, that's the one. It's older than me but probably in better nick. A whopping £12 too.😀

I have a box full of spare Panther parts so I might try my hand at a bit of kit-bashing and see where I get.

Hi @Stef N.

Both you and your Panther are very welcome :like:

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Time for some Braille in Japan, I believe both of these classics qualify. For a nice duo.

PXL_20230228_231114185.jpg

Ooh yes please! After Airfix 1/76 kits Hasegawa detail was a revelation. Always fancied the High Speed Tractor because being East Anglian I didn't see how those words could be put together!!

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Ooh yes please! After Airfix 1/76 kits Hasegawa detail was a revelation. Always fancied the High Speed Tractor because being East Anglian I didn't see how those words could be put together!!

Great to see the kit has no rear view mirrors either, just like a traditional tractor so you can't see the miles of traffic trapped behind it on the road.

Well done @sardaukar delighted to see these 2 joining the GB

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Would recent reboxings of classic kits, featuring updated parts go against the spirit of this group build? Specifically I'm wondering about Tamiaya's Carro Armato M13? The original kit is from the 1970s, but the recent release comes with plastic link-and-length tracks, a few PE details, new figures, and I think new jerry cans. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Would recent reboxings of classic kits, featuring updated parts go against the spirit of this group build? Specifically I'm wondering about Tamiaya's Carro Armato M13? The original kit is from the 1970s, but the recent release comes with plastic link-and-length tracks, a few PE details, new figures, and I think new jerry cans. 

If the majority of the kit is in keeping with the Spirit of the GB, ie based on the original I'm fine with it.

:like:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1