Big In Japan - Classic Japanese Kits GB Chat

45 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Wonder if we will see the ol B-47? I nearly put a bid in one on ebay for great price before the little voice told me to check just how large it is, much bigger than I thought, not ready for all that sanding for NMF finish 

I've got one.  I was hoping to find a Pavla resin cockpit for it for a reasonable price.  The other issue I have with mine is decals...  But that one was one of a couple kits I've got that I'm considering.  If I can resolve the decal issue I may just say screw it and run with it.

• Like 3

Update on B-47 decals...it appears Warbirds has done a run of decals at some point, and a couple sellers on evilBay had them available.  I would've preferred Carcal Decals...but they have been unobtainium when I've looked periodically over the past couple years.  I've got a couple Warbird decal sets for my B-25...and they vary drastically in quality and thickness.  So it's a bit of a gamble, but really the only option at this point in time.

So maybe a USAF weather B-47?  Or maybe a USN bird for a little WTF reaction.  :giggle:

9 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Update on B-47 decals...

Wolfpak Decals did some applicable sheets which are sadly no longer available from the original vendor.

However, they were printed by Fantasy Printshop in the UK who still have stock.

https://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/product/wolfpak-72-128-giant-voice/

https://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/product/wolfpak-72-064-stars-in-their-courses/

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Wolfpak Decals did some applicable sheets which are sadly no longer available from the original vendor.

However, they were printed by Fantasy Printshop in the UK who still have stock.

https://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/product/wolfpak-72-128-giant-voice/

https://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/product/wolfpak-72-064-stars-in-their-courses/

Nice.  I'll have to keep those in mind if these Warbird decals end up being rubbish.  Fingers crossed they'll be passable though.

I may also scan them and try to do masks for the major markings as well.  I've got a cutter, but haven't had the time to learn how to use it yet.  We'll see.

• Like 1

On 29/01/2023 at 02:04, UberDaveToo said:

I also have this:

spacer.png

The kit is relatively new, but the molds are older than dirt...

It would be great to see another one of these being built, and to quote the kids TV show Blue Peter "here's one I prepared earlier"

IMG_4615

Cheers Pat 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As we are getting ever nearer to starting this GB, can I ask if there are any volunteers to help host it ?

Also please if I have been a muppet and missed anyone from the list on the first post in this thread please let me know and my apologies.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

15 hours ago, helios16v said:

I've got one.  I was hoping to find a Pavla resin cockpit for it for a reasonable price.  The other issue I have with mine is decals...  But that one was one of a couple kits I've got that I'm considering.  If I can resolve the decal issue I may just say screw it and run with it.

On the note of the B-47, I have these:

spacer.png

A little fuzzy on that one...

spacer.png

The Caracal decal has some colorful markings that include the one bailed to the US Navy.

spacer.png

And the Pavla kit as well, along with the Flightpath RB-47H conversion, plus the aforementioned Warbird decal sheet.

spacer.png  

Been needing an excuse to build them...

Dave

• Like 4

23 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

As we are getting ever nearer to starting this GB, can I ask if there are any volunteers to help host it ?

Also please if I have been a muppet and missed anyone from the list on the first post in this thread please let me know and my apologies.

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

I'm happy to co-host if you're still looking for a fellow muppet! It will either...

Keep me focused to set an example with my own build(s)

OR

Be the perfect excuse reason for looking at everyone else's and making no progress myself, which we all know is going to happen anyway

22 hours ago, UberDaveToo said:

On the note of the B-47, I have these:

spacer.png

A little fuzzy on that one...

spacer.png

The Caracal decal has some colorful markings that include the one bailed to the US Navy.

spacer.png

And the Pavla kit as well, along with the Flightpath RB-47H conversion, plus the aforementioned Warbird decal sheet.

spacer.png  

Been needing an excuse to build them...

Dave

I don't think the GB name of BIG in Japan has to be taken quiet so literally!

• Haha 3

On 11/18/2022 at 6:09 AM, Redstaff said:

Best bet is look on Scalemates and the timeline on that kit should confirm original manufacturer and date etc

But I'm sure Pat will be along soon to confirm or deny 😃

...and he is not wrong.

I have been in the grip of starfighter obsession for a couple of months now. I've done an Italeri/Esci F-104A and have plans for more in the classic italian build later this year. I want to do an OOTB Revell F-104G in Spanish colours for "Southern Europe-GB" but was trying to see where an OOTB Hasegawa F-104 might go. I have followed @Redstaff's advice. I might say that having studied his Big Vern-esque profile picture, I wouldn't dare to not follow his advice:

230204a Scalemates timeline

I recently bought some Starfighters in the AK interactive "Hasegawa Treasures" sale and by an amazing chance they look like this:

230204b kits

Also Date-wise the decal sheets are appropriately dated.

230204c Decal dates

So, this sort-of decides itself: RCAF CF-104.

Additionally this is going to let me try-out @arfa1983's advice to polish the bare plastic before starting the NMF. Any additional inspiration needed is provided by a very nice CF-104D in competition at SMW last year. This inexplicably had not troubled the scorer. It was in Bare-metal foil, as I recall, and was exceptionally shiny!

See you in a fortnight.

Alan

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Another couple of possibilities from The Stash.

spacer.png

The Kettenkrad is the original release from 1973 and is a kit I always wanted to build back in the day.

The Universal Carrier is from 1976 although this boxing, charmingly entitled "Forced Reconnaissance" (sic), is from 2001.

• Like 4

Another candidate for the GB is on its way to me - a Fujimi Ki-55 trainer. The kit dates from 1983. I had one many years ago, from memory it was a simple kit with nice surface detail and good fit. I've got some Dead Design canopy masks and Kora decals for an aircraft in Manchukuo markings.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

On 1/31/2023 at 9:00 PM, Mjwomack said:

This then will be my first entry

PXL-20230131-193640711.jpg 

Who knows how accurate it is, because Scalemates lists a Marui C172 in 1/36 scale as being issued in 1984. This version, being the 1/35 edition dates from 1969; never mind classic, I'm going prehistoric!

It's been in my stash since the late 90s. Along the way the electric motor went AWOL, but the wiring is still in the box, so this will be sort of almost OOB. Raised rivets galore, but at least the fuselage seam on the bottom won't be such a problem because that's where the enormous battery cover goes.

Meanwhile, I notice that a large vendor of second hand kits in Telford has got a Bandai 1/48 AFV, (un)fortunately my bank account is on a post-Christmas diet. But this GB runs through to Easter, so maybe it'll be an easter Egg later along

A brief sprue fondle last night; nothing as serious as measuring what sort of scale it might be other than fits the box. But a brief look says, the tail is wrong and lack the dorsal fillet, the wing tips are too rounded off. Fair to say it's going to be representative rather than definitive- but isn't that part of the joy of the Classic GBs?

On the plus side, it's got three wheels and a propellor.

• Like 2

My postie delivered the Ki-55 kit this morning, the day after I ordered it. My recollection was correct, it has some nicely rendered surface detail. Even though I have some decals for a Manchuoko scheme, I'm tempted by the livid orange trainer colours. I'd forgotten how dazzling the raw plastic was. 

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

Well I have the big 1/32 Me262 in the stash but looking over the sprue's and the twisted fuselage might hold off till another time,I'm leaning towards a couple of Hasegawa 1/72

offering's especially the Fuji trainer which I've wanted to build for a long time now also in the mix would be the  Grumman Panther and Tiger and another two seater Skyhawk.

• Like 1

Damn we were in the LMS as Luke was looking at Tamiya kit's fitting the criteria I popped a look in the 1/48 A-10 warthog box and thought it a strong contender for my build sadly it was a 1991 release if only they had been quicker!

• Haha 1

On 08/02/2023 at 08:54, Mark Newton said:

My postie delivered the Ki-55 kit this morning, the day after I ordered it. My recollection was correct, it has some nicely rendered surface detail. Even though I have some decals for a Manchuoko scheme, I'm tempted by the livid orange trainer colours. I'd forgotten how dazzling the raw plastic was. 

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

Oh you just can't go wrong with Orange :tomato:

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

This GB has officially joined the current page here on BM.

Let's make this another classic.

There's a vast selection of kits from different manufacturers available and @JeroenShas kindly volunteered to keep track of the builds.

If others would like to assist in co-hosting you would be very welcome. If you haven’t done it before, drop me a PM there's no initiation ceremony to go through  :wink:

Good luck everyone 

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

The first three Hasegawa kits were reissued as a special edition a few years ago. They date from 1963, I think, though they are not shown on Scalemates. I'll have a go at at least one of them.

Hasegawa-gliders.jpg

Great choice Richard

You do realise along with that glow of smugness of finding a kit missing on Scalemates,  comes the obligation to add it to the website ! :wink:

Best of luck mate

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

comes the obligation to add it to the website ! 

Which kind of reminds me, how do you upload stuff on Scalemates? I’ve tried in the past and failed on each occasion. Probably not a topic for this forum, however that line just got me thinking. 

Cheers.. Dave