S-boot S-38 yet another build.

Greg Law

On 3/13/2021 at 9:41 AM, Arjan said:

Hi Greg, more or less simultaneously I would say. I used tape after having applied the plastic solvent. Don't use tape before applying thin cement/solvent or else this stuff will get under the tape and create a mess. I'm sure you know what I mean, the same poo-poo happens when the thin stuff gets in between the plastic and your finger tips ( results in finger prints "etched" into the plastic 🙂). The transom is a weak "link" in the construction of the hull and the styrene piece that supports the rudder shafts and steering servo also serves to reinforce the transom seams.

takiTgN.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your completed hull.

Regards,

Arjan

Clever set up that!

I have decided to add the Vosper build to this thread. Mainly  because there are already two Vosper builds on the forum at the moment. 

I have found a new scheme which I will add an image here when I find it again.

To date I have glued the bridge walls together and painted the interior white. The torpedo tube are glued. 

My problem at the moment is the colours using Tamiya or Mr Hobby Aqueous paints. I'm not sure I can get the deck colour right.

After Thursday's flat inspection I will be tackling the S-boot's running gear and hull.

Well I painted the Vosper deck. Turned out my mix was too blue. Tomorrow I will try giving it a light mist coat of grey. That was the second mix batch I did. It is hard to mix without a paint chip.

Progress today is major sanding of the S-boot's kiel and screw covers. Something I haven't been looking forward too. This is the first time I have used my Dermal sanding fitting.  It worked well on the screw covers and saved me a lot of time.

Finally I have my work projects under control,  so I'm looking forward to a long weekend working on my S-boot and Vosper. So expect some image updates over the next few days. 

The only issue I  have is I can't find my resin skull cap bridge for the S-100. I must have stupidly thrown it out when I moved. My S-100 should arrive next Thursday. 

I'm still waiting for the crew to arrive.  They must be in NZ quarantine as they left China a month ago. I expect one of the boys broke out of quarantine and went to the pub for a drink. This would account for the extra two weeks.

• Like 1

Yes, they make a nice center piece for my lounge. I'm  a bit distracted for a week doing a Corsair for one of the group builds. Something I promised to do before I started on the

S-boot. Once that is done I will be back on S-38 having a go at getting the running gear installed. This is the part that has been worrying me.

I followed the other S-38 builds and it is nice to see another one. I don't know how I missed the start but I will be sure to follow the rest of the build closely. I have this kit in my stash and one day, who knows, I might get a build thread underway myself!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to show at the moment.  Today I built the connection between the split deck which has firmed things up again. I also dry fitted a section of the brass stanchions and rails that seem to work very well.

I've started cutting the holes in the hull for the propeller shaft.  It looks like a slow job so I don’t make a mess of it. I had bad fish last night so my night wasn't very pleasant and today is a right off. 

• Like 1