S-boot S-38 yet another build.

Greg Law

Thanks Arjan.  It is going to be interesting getting all those parts together. At the moment I have dry fitted a lot of the bridge together with tape. I think I need to take my time. 

It looks like those step plates on the torpedo tube will need reinforcing.  The slightest knock and they drop off. 

I must say this build is great fun.

Thanks Steve. I'm bit slow with it because work is taking too much of my time at the moment.  I glued on the screw covers last night.

I can't paint the hull until my running gear gets here from the UK. It takes quite a while to get here these days. This is the price we pay for

Living at the end of the world on an island country. Mind you during these pandemic times it has it's advantages. 

I am waiting for a hull and running gear from UK also, the extra demand meaning longer to process orders and shipping delays certainly is good for building patience, and not like I haven't got anything else to go one with. 

You don't have to wait for the motors to arrive although you will discover later that there is very little clearance between the (spinning) brushless motors and the bottom of the boat. That is to say, when the motors and prop shafts are aligned perfectly. Of course the universal joints do allow some play but a perfect alignment of  motors and shafts is always best. The less friction, the longer a battery will last.

Good luck !

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Thanks 1

Well I'm throughly hooked on salt water projects now. I just ordered the Vosper 72 kit from the UK. Couldn't resist the free shipping. 

This won't be started until I have completed the S-boot.  However it will be nice to have the two boats I modeled for the S-boot / MTB project I made for CFS3.

• Like 1

Put most of the S-boot's bridge together this morning.  Wasn't easy. I need 5 hands to hold it. However, with two hands and a bucket of sweat I got the main parts together. It will need a bit more sorting and a re-coat of paint. I can't totally close it up until I have the helmsman painted and installed. I redeployed the figure from the Biber kit. Saves having to wait for the ones from China. At least he has a better chance of survival on the S-boot than the death trap he was on. No photos of this stage till it is complete.

Well I have taken a backwards step today. I found a full brass set of running gear, scale rudders and propellers with motors an linkages for a reasonable price and free postage.

As a result I expect to be delayed for a few more weeks.  

The main reason I have gone for this is I have always liked the propellers and rudder setup on the S-boots and having the real scale setup will make the boat look better on the shelf.

My existing gear and motors etc will go into the Vosper project.

Here is my latest progress. The bridge main parts are mainly together only the two roof parts are not glue. That is so i can put the Helmsman in easily.  The fore deck isn't fixed yet. I'm trying to decide on what glue to use. Extra thin or Tamiya cermet in the orange bottle. 

S-38 image10

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Well I have taken a backwards step today. I found a full brass set of running gear, scale rudders and propellers with motors an linkages for a reasonable price and free postage.

As a result I expect to be delayed for a few more weeks.  

The main reason I have gone for this is I have always liked the propellers and rudder setup on the S-boots and having the real scale setup will make the boat look better on the shelf.

My existing gear and motors etc will go into the Vosper project.

I'm afraid none of the rc hardware intended for the S-38 will be suitable for a 1/35 rc Vosper because these parts are simply too heavy. The Vosper model is rather small compared to the S-38 model and rather heavy too because the plastic used for the hull and deck is very thick. For this reason 2mm prop shafts should be used and light weight motors/escs. Scale rudders on a 1/35 Schnellboot will mean the turning radius is going to be huge (a law of physics ). For adequate turning you would have to rely on motor assisted steering.

Regards,

Arjan

That's a shame. As far as the turning circle issue I will look into designing a slip on enlargement rudder to deal with that. I'm only going to have the two outer props working as before. I don’t plan to use it as a speed boat. 

I have another question.  Did the S-boot crews wear black uniforms at all or were they only dark blue?

By the way Arjan if the Vosper is that small I will make it as a display model. I know these boats shrink visually when they are on the pond. Anyway this is not necessarily my last S-boot.  I still have a resin S-boot bridge skull cap I would like to make use of. Depends how well I go making money in the next six months. 

Hi Greg, the uniforms were a very dark blue which in some lighting conditions almost seems black. Off white fatigue (work) jackets and trousers were also worn. The dark blue uniform jackets had a double row of buttons. If you don't see this double row of buttons you can be fairly sure a leather jacket is worn. Leather jackets and trousers were either black or fairly light grey. The Italeri figures are usually painted in the wrong colours because most wear leather jackets (the giveaway is the strap on the sleeves only present on leather jackets).  The trousers of the Italeri figures look more like denim jeans and nothing like Kriegsmarine trousers. Of course a wide variety of non standard coats and sweaters were also worn.

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan

Thanks Arjan.  My helmsman will be dark blue. He will mostly be just a shadow in there.

I've  made a little progress today.  I have painted the rear cabins roof deck grey now. Added the vents behind the bridge and have been painting lots of small bits.

Last night I fixed down the fore deck and glued the raised rear deck to the main deck.

It is good the way you  can build sections of the boat and dry fit the whole section so you get to see the boat coming together even before the hull is ready.

• Like 1

Small progress today.  Finished painting the Helmsman.  Didn't do any detail painting as you won't see it. Just enough so the block colours show there is someone home.

The really tricky job I did was add the rope to the dingy.  Most of the plastic loops simply broke off. In the end I just CAed the rope in place and made new loops with lead wire. Then glued those over the rope at the attachment points.  Still tricky, but not impossible. I will take a photo when I have retouched the paint work.

• Like 2

My latest progress. Not too much I'm afraid. My paint station has been taken over this weekend, so I haven't been able to do much over Easter as I intended to. Hence the gun and the torpedoes not being painted. 

S-38 image11

S-38 image12

• Like 4

Just caught up with this, nice big project very big boat. My papa always had S-boat models so this has been nice to read through. I am going to try hairspray on my deck next thanks for the tips. Good luck with the rest of this one 

• Thanks 1

My second order of running gear and rudders have arrived.  In fact the rudders are a bit smaller than the kit ones. This means I'm considering using the brass central one and the larger rudders I bought earlier for the outer ones. I still haven't got the motors or radio gear yet from my earlier order. 

Also my Vosper kit has arrived. This will be a display model. 

• Like 3