S-boot S-38 yet another build.

Greg Law

On 2/21/2021 at 12:57 AM, Greg Law said:

Well my first attempt at hairspray weathering was a complete failure.  I will have to start again.  I think I was too quick to the removal stage. Next time I will add a clear coat layer before the hairspray layer. We live and we learn.

Hi Greg recently came across this build thread with an eager interest as building the italeri S-100 (1/35) as to hairspray chipping which is new to me as well I did just the same as you but second time around gave a clear gloss coat before over spraying worked great came up lovely this time

Also interesting to read about the strake on the front will be taking mine off shortly as I'm almost ready (next few days) for the black primer oh and mine will be a static build so will be carrying on reading this thread with a vested interest

cheers jim

7 minutes ago, phatboyjim said:

Hi Greg recently came across this build thread with an eager interest as building the italeri S-100 (1/35) as to hairspray chipping which is new to me as well I did just the same as you but second time around gave a clear gloss coat before hairspraying then over spraying worked great came up lovely this time

Also interesting to read about the strake on the front will be taking mine off shortly as I'm almost ready (next few days) for the black primer oh and mine will be a static build so will be carrying on reading this thread with a vested interest

cheers jim

6 hours ago, phatboyjim said:

Hi Greg recently came across this build thread with an eager interest as building the italeri S-100 (1/35) as to hairspray chipping which is new to me as well I did just the same as you but second time around gave a clear gloss coat before over spraying worked great came up lovely this time

cheers jim

Jim if you are doing the S-100 leave the top strake on. It's only the S-38 that needs it removed. The real S-100 had it.

This bow strake matter isn't that straightforward. I think the S-100 boats built by Schlichting didn't have the strakes at all whereas they seem to have been added to Lürssen boats probably starting from the S-171 to S-186 batch. S-190 built by Schlichting doesn't show the strakes :

bEBGjVr.jpg

S-179 built by Lürssen seems to have them :

4iqSPAA.jpg

Yesterday I finally added decals to my old S-100 model (ace of hearts 2.S-Bootflottille). I wish to model S-180 because this boat had a 2cm Flak Vierling fitted. Since there do not seem to be any pics of S-180 the ace of hearts decals are an educated guess . Since she was built by Lürssen she probably had the bow strakes.

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Jim if you are doing the S-100 leave the top strake on. It's only the S-38 that needs it removed. The real S-100 had it.

Thanks for the heads up Greg some of pics I have of the S-100 don't show the strakes so will tread carefully 🙂

2 hours ago, Arjan said:

This bow strake matter isn't that straightforward. I think the S-100 boats built by Schlichting didn't have the strakes at all whereas they seem to have been added to Lürssen boats probably starting from the S-171 to S-186 batch. S-190 built by Schlichting doesn't show the strakes :

bEBGjVr.jpg

S-179 built by Lürssen seems to have them :

4iqSPAA.jpg

Yesterday I finally added decals to my old S-100 model (ace of hearts 2.S-Bootflottille). I wish to model S-180 because this boat had a 2cm Flak Vierling fitted. Since there do not seem to be any pics of S-180 the ace of hearts decals are an educated guess . Since she was built by Lürssen she probably had the bow strakes.

Regards,

Arjan

Thanks Arjan like you I have been searching fo some pics of the quad 2cm flakvierling as thought it would be a little different to build I know of revells 1/72 version exists and have read about this version being built but no pictures of the actual version to work from any help on this matter would be gratefully recieved 

Jim

Hi Jim, I only know one pic showing a Flak Vierling mounted on a Schnellboot. It's a type S-38b boat and I don't know which :

EesJkpF.jpg

A quote from the service history of S-180 :

24.05.1944 Verlegen 2. S-Fltl (S 177, S 178, S 179, S 180, S 181, S 189) von Ijmuiden nach Rotterdam

24.05.1944 - 27.05.1944 Kein Einsatz wegen Wetterlage

27.05.1944 - 28.05.1944 Verlegen 2. S-Fltl (S 177, S 178, S 179, S 180, S 181,S 189) von Rotterdam nach Ijmuiden

28.05.1944 - 08.06.1944 Boot aKB in Ijmuiden, Motorinstandsetzung, außerdem Einbau 2 cm-Vierling und FuMB

09.06.1944 Verlegen (S 180, S 190) von Rotterdam nach Boulogne nach Auslaufen Vlissingen wegen Minentreffer auf S 190 abgebrochen, Wiedereinlaufen in Vlissingen, danach Marsch beider Boote nach Rotterdam durch Kanäle

14.06.1944 - 15.06.1944 Verlegen (S 180, S 190) von Rotterdam nach Ostende

15.06.1944 - 16.06.1944 Verlegen (S 180, S 190) von Ostende nach Boulogne, beide Boote haben Kompaßausfall nach Grundminen-Nahdetonation

16.06.1944 - 17.06.1944 Vorstoß 2. S-Fltl (S 177, S 180, S 181, S 190 mit S 174, S 175 (4. S-Fltl)) in die Seine-Bucht nach laufenden Jabo-Angriffen wegen Wetterverschlechterung abgebrochen

18.06.1944 - 19.06.1944 Verlegen 2. S-Fltl (S 177, S 180, S 181, S 190 mit S 174, S 175 (4. S-Fltl)) von Boulogne nach Le Havre

20.06.1944 - 21.06.1944 Kein Einsatz wegen Wetterlage

This is the crucial bit :

Boot aKB in Ijmuiden, Motorinstandsetzung, außerdem Einbau 2 cm-Vierling und FuMB

My translation :

Boat not ready for battle in IJmuiden. Engine maintenance, also 2cm Vierling and radar detector antenna fitted.

Commander of S-180 was Baron Nicolai von Stempel.

Regards,

Arjan

1 minute ago, Arjan said:

Hi Jim, I only know one pic showing a Flak Vierling mounted on a Schnellboot. It's a type S-38b boat and I don't know which :

EesJkpF.jpg

A quote from the service history of S-180 :

24.05.1944 Verlegen 2. S-Fltl (S 177, S 178, S 179, S 180, S 181, S 189) von Ijmuiden nach Rotterdam

24.05.1944 - 27.05.1944 Kein Einsatz wegen Wetterlage

27.05.1944 - 28.05.1944 Verlegen 2. S-Fltl (S 177, S 178, S 179, S 180, S 181,S 189) von Rotterdam nach Ijmuiden

28.05.1944 - 08.06.1944 Boot aKB in Ijmuiden, Motorinstandsetzung, außerdem Einbau 2 cm-Vierling und FuMB

09.06.1944 Verlegen (S 180, S 190) von Rotterdam nach Boulogne nach Auslaufen Vlissingen wegen Minentreffer auf S 190 abgebrochen, Wiedereinlaufen in Vlissingen, danach Marsch beider Boote nach Rotterdam durch Kanäle

14.06.1944 - 15.06.1944 Verlegen (S 180, S 190) von Rotterdam nach Ostende

15.06.1944 - 16.06.1944 Verlegen (S 180, S 190) von Ostende nach Boulogne, beide Boote haben Kompaßausfall nach Grundminen-Nahdetonation

16.06.1944 - 17.06.1944 Vorstoß 2. S-Fltl (S 177, S 180, S 181, S 190 mit S 174, S 175 (4. S-Fltl)) in die Seine-Bucht nach laufenden Jabo-Angriffen wegen Wetterverschlechterung abgebrochen

18.06.1944 - 19.06.1944 Verlegen 2. S-Fltl (S 177, S 180, S 181, S 190 mit S 174, S 175 (4. S-Fltl)) von Boulogne nach Le Havre

20.06.1944 - 21.06.1944 Kein Einsatz wegen Wetterlage

This is the crucial bit :

Boot aKB in Ijmuiden, Motorinstandsetzung, außerdem Einbau 2 cm-Vierling und FuMB

My translation :

Boat not ready for battle in IJmuiden. Engine maintenance, also 2cm Vierling and radar detector antenna fitted.

Commander of S-180 was Baron Nicolai von Stempel.

Regards,

Arjan

Much appreciated Arjan was just checking I have this pic too oversight on my half blind to it after lookin at so many pictures thanks for the info will have to buy the S-38 later 

Thanks again

Jim

Small progress today. I have most of the parts undercoated in white Mr Surfacer 1500. I managed to get two more bottles of Mr Hobby Aqueous flat white for final coat.

I'm still waiting to get the hull together with  my friend.  We are both too busy with work projects. I think I will do the Tamiya extra thin part myself and used the supplied little screws to hold the keel together. Even if they go through I can bogg the holes up after removing the screws. This way it will be ready for my friend to help with the strengthening glues to make sure it remains water tight.

I will start to get the bridge together tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Hull glued with extra thin. Tomorrow l will reinforce it with some styrene so it holds together until my friend finds some time. 

I've finished my annoying work project so you should see some progress.Next week.

• Like 1

Hi Greg, more or less simultaneously I would say. I used tape after having applied the plastic solvent. Don't use tape before applying thin cement/solvent or else this stuff will get under the tape and create a mess. I'm sure you know what I mean, the same poo-poo happens when the thin stuff gets in between the plastic and your finger tips ( results in finger prints "etched" into the plastic 🙂). The transom is a weak "link" in the construction of the hull and the styrene piece that supports the rudder shafts and steering servo also serves to reinforce the transom seams.

takiTgN.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your completed hull.

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 1

Here is the drivers position. Looks like I missed the mould line on the instrument panel and the decals aren't exactly positioned well.  I will have to use my magnifying 

glasses for this type of work in the future. I will also weather up the throttle quadrant. IT looks a bit shiny.  Also paint the nut.

S-38 image7

• Like 1

Looking good Greg, I also thought I had applied the decals spot on until I  saw my own macro photos 🙂. Talking about minor inaccuracies, the oil gauge shows the word "oil" instead of the correct  German word öl .

Regards,

Arjan

Yes it is amazing what photos show. I rarely take closeups anymore. It gets too depressing.  My wood effect looks quite good when it's not seen through a magnifying lens. 

I've added a bit more detail to the throttle quadrant and painted the center of the wheel steel. I hope tomorrow to start painting the final coat on the bridge parts. That has been more involved than I was expecting.  

I put the rear hull parts on today and sprue gooied the joints. My friend is testing some plastic with his glues etc wo make sure they don't dissolve the hull.

So at this stage the hull is together with the bow and stern sprue glued.

The ESC turned up today and the hand rail posts. Unfortunately they look a bit small. The holes for the rail is tiny.

Macro photos may be disheartening at times but I usually make use of them to improve things (by removing mould lines I had missed and touching up various spots). What stanchions did you order ?

Regards,

Arjan

Caldercraft 25mm 2 hole stanchion. The hole is 0.75mm. I didn't notice that. I will see what else they have.

I have reordered them with a 1mm hole and a thicker shaft. At least I know what I'm doing this time.

I delivered the hull to my friend today. This keel strengthening will be the only part of the build I won't do myself.  He is going to roughen up the

Keel area and use casting resin.

Well most of the parts that are white have been pre-painted. Not my normal way of doing it. However, it was hard to work out an easy way of painting the interior and adding the windows if I hadn't pre-painted it. I know I will have lots of touch ups to do. This weekend the bridge will go together. Then I will take some more progress images.

Arjan would you mind taking a photo the props and rudder setup that clear shows the arrangement on the outside of the hull?

On 06/03/2021 at 02:53, Greg Law said:

I discovered something interesting today.most of a 20mm AA gun is on the gun sprue. This will allow me to make an early S-38 which I have been keen on.

Could it be that you are referring to the Oerlikon gun here (from the PT Boat sprue). This only occurred to me later because this Oerlikon is so familiar to me and probably less so to you.

I've made some pics of the rudders/props with a mirror, hope they are of any use :

H7M3wQt.jpg

HbC7m7S.jpg

7xHc5Pc.jpg

KZvxPiD.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

Sorry Arjan, I got distracted by my nasty work project and forgot your request to see the gun. I think you are right.

Strange they would have this gun on a German boat sprue.

Thanks for the prop images that answers my query. 

gun3

• Like 1

Good news today. I went over to my friends place in the morning and we did the seam strengthening.  We used two types of resins. One for the bow and main hull joint. We had to hold the hull on to a cold wet towel as the resin got really hot. My friend did most of that part. This stuff runs like water, so was a bit difficult to use on the stern. On the stern we used more of a epoxy type of resin that was my part. This was thicker and easier to control around the rudder holes.

Now I have to wait for the running gear to arrive from the UK and China. 

The next step is to glue weld some locating tabs on the bow deck to make sure it sits correctly on the hull.

The decks are painted with the dark grey horizontal surfaces and white vertical surfaces. 

I'm going to have the Port side torpedo sticking out a bit from the tube.  The right tube will be closed. 

The paint work needs final touch up yet. 

As you can see Arjan it will look a bit different to yours. 

I would like it to be a Baltic boat if I can find one with a basic colour scheme. 

S-38 image9

S-38 image8

• Like 1

Arjan 

Did you have a problem fitting the port side of the bridge? I am finding the throttle cabinet is preventing me slipping the side up to the bow deck. Do I  need to trim back the cabinet a bit? I thought I would ask before I cut.

That looks very neat Greg ! I didn't use glue for the steering module at all. It should fit inside the wheelhouse with a bit of juggling (shove it in at an angle and level it once it's in). Perhaps you should remove the tabs at the bottom of the module.

Regards,

Arjan