Mustang Mk 1, 414 Squadron, flown by F/O Hollis Hills at Dieppe - more progress March 19

My latest is converting the Accurate Miniatures 1/48 Mustang 1a into a Mustang Mk 1 at the time of the Dieppe raid. I'm doing AG470, RU*M as flown by F/O Hollis Hills (an American) flying with 414 Sqdn, RCAF when he scored the first Mustang victory over an FW-190.

I'm using the Ultracast resin conversion set, an Ultracast seat and fishtail exhaust, a set of decals produced by IPMS Canada, and some scratch building.

The Accurate Miniatures kit is no longer cutting edge, but the quality of the original still shines through. 

PC162320

The Ultracast set requires some careful cutting to fit the resin leading edges, and the lower cowl, and I replaced the incorrect prop blades with spares from an Eduard P-39. I also had to make the seat armor plate (missing from kit) and do a little addition to the kit sidewalls, but for the most part, the kit interior is satisfactory.

The interior is mostly US interior green, with a bronze-green seat and armor plate.

PC162322

PC162324

I had installed the rear quarter windows previously and masked them (Hills's aircraft was not fitted with the camera at the time of Dieppe)

I wanted the canopy open for this, but the kit transparencies were too thick, so I made some masters out of tin can sections and vacuformed my own, some framework from .010' strip, and some details and they were ready for paint.

Canopy 1

Canopy 2

Canopy 3

I've tried to replicate the scheme seen in photo's, rather than the incorrect scheme for the Mustang 1a ...

Early scheme 2

Early scheme

Large

(paint are Tamiya Acrylics spayed with Tamiya Lacquer thinner)

painted 1

painted 3

The gear attach was a little loose and sloppy, so I added a length of brass rod, and routed the socket a little deeper, and installed the gear with 5 minute epoxy for added strength.

(the tires are kit wheels, with the tread sanded off to match the smooth tread of the real aircraft)

painted 2

Hope you like so far ...

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 14

Hi Colin,

Looks like you are making really good progress.  Two things, firstly, did you remove the radiator intake air deflector from in front of the underslung radiator intake?  Being a Mustang Mk.I of the early AG serial range, it should have this deflector fitted.  It was removed on the later (second batch production run) AL, AM and AP serial Mustang MkI and the later Mk.IA as it was proven to be redundant.  See item tagged with red arrow on underside photo. Accurate Miniatures added to the underwing moulding for their Mustang Mk.IA kit, which was an error.  But of course if backdating to an early Mk.I with and AG serial, it needs to stay.

Secondly, any plans to add the gun camera window on the port wing outer leading edge.  Again, specific to the AG serialled Mustangs, gun camera out in position marked with the blue arrow (censor has removed in photo attached to this post, but it is evident in the photo you posted above showing the NAA factory camouflage pattern on a very early AG serialled Mustang).

50927789921_073d09eac7_k.jpgRAF Mustang MkI Marked Up by Colin Ford, on Flickr

Regards,

Edited by ColFord
Typo fix
  • Like 2

Hi

I have added the gun camera and the access hatch, the lens is hidden by masking tape right now ...

gun camera

... as for the air deflector, I have removed it, as the belly photos I had showed it absence. To late to add it back, so I'll live with the error (oh well)

I've done a pinwash with oils and and waiting for it to dry before proceeding ...

pinwash 1

pinwash 2

pinwash 3

and I have opened the torque link lightening holes, and drilled out the tiedown rings on the gear, as well as adding the brake lines ...

pinwash 4

hope you like so far,

Colin

• Like 3

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Mustang Mk 1, 414 Squadron, flown by F/O Hollis Hills at Dieppe - updated Feb 12
  • 1 month later...
  • Tail-Dragon changed the title to Mustang Mk 1, 414 Squadron, flown by F/O Hollis Hills at Dieppe - more progress March 12

Hi Colin,

Too quick! I thought great, an opportunity to watch one of your builds come together and it is all but done ☹️ I suppose the positive is not having to wait for the next installment.

Lovely work as always.

Ray

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Mustang Mk 1, 414 Squadron, flown by F/O Hollis Hills at Dieppe - more progress March 19

Crikey I had missed this, great job it does look gorgeous,  I will go back and catch up after I charge my phone as battery nearly gone.

Chris

Edit- just caught up wow , I love the scratch built canopy framing and glazing particularly,  but an all over cracking build and a great model.

Wow, that's really cool!

I built the AM kit in the late 20th Century when it first came out. I didn't know much about Mustangs back then (and i still don't) but considering it was AM's first time at bat, it was very nearly a home run.

First time i've seen that Ultracast conversion is use too.

Crack on!!