RAN/RNZAF A-4G Skyhawk

I'm fast loosing my patience with them..... well actually China Post!!!!  :fuyou_2:

I ordered a model from the same lot 2 weeks later and it took around 10 days to get here... so far 3 1/2 months and counting!!!

• Sad 3

Just to prove that this topics (and me) still alive and not just a chat about missing Leopard tank models here is a pic of how my A-4 is looking at the minute;

spacer.png

The finish of the Tamiya paint was,well pants, so I went in search of a suitable replacement and it turns out that Gunze RLM-65 is a perfect match to the Tamiya XF-23 and so therefore must be just as good a match to the colour used by the RAN. Much better, a nice smooth finish. Then it was time to mask off for the darker grey and to find a suitable paint in the stash, to my eye Revell Aquacolour's Gunship Grey was a good match so that is what I have used. With that done I have given her a couple of coats of Klear and she is ready for her decals. I shall start them next week as I want to get my Djibouti Hind done for the Africa GB so that I will only be working on A-4's.

Thats it for today then so as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thats looking good Craig. Hopefully someday I can build an Aussie Scooter or two. I like the scheme you've chosen, but kind of want this one in the collection also. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A4_lands_on_melbourne.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

Cheers Dennis, it is a nice scheme isn't it but I can see why you're drawn to the one in the link with the red checkered tail.

• Like 1

Hi Craig,

These old Mongram kits are great. Just catching up with your build and enjoyed reading the thread. Very attractive scheme. Nice job you're doing with this old kit. 

Ray 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Craig,

These old Mongram kits are great. Just catching up with your build and enjoyed reading the thread. Very attractive scheme. Nice job you're doing with this old kit. 

Ray 

Thanks Ray, yes the old Monogram kits still have a lot to offer the modeller and can be be found for reasonable prices too. Some of them are still the most accurate (if not the easiest to build) of some subjects.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my Hind is completed and before I got stuck into my build for the the Skyhawk STGB (I am only running it after all!) I thought I had better get a bit more done on the one I am building here.

I have masked and painted the anti glare panel and nose cone in different shades of black and am in the process of painting the red intakes, but I have also made a start on the decals. I have to say that the Gekko Graphics decals are going on very nicely, the one area they are light on is stencils for the aircraft in the old Aussie paint scheme but "no worries" as you like to say down there as I have some left over from a Hasegawa US Navy A-4 sheet and have used some of them around the tail area. I need to finish up the intake warning area and get the decals on the nose and fuselage and then it will be weathering and matt coat time!

This is how she looks at the minute;

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
spelling
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

you have now jinxed the probe don't you!

As soon as I sent the response I thought - Darn! Now look what I have done. 

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2021 at 10:16 AM, modelling minion said:

you have now jinxed the probe don't you! 😁

Hahaha!  So...am I right in assuming you're building 2 Skyhawks for 2 different GB?

This is looking very sleek!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have neglected my poor Kiwi scooter of late so I thought that it was about time I put some time in on her.

I had applied all the decals and sealed them in and given her a panel line wash with some very thin Revell Anthracite and that is how she sat until today when it was time to get some matt varnish on my Kuwaiti Skyhawk so what better time to get the matt varnish on this one. This is how she looks at the minute;

spacer.png

spacer.png

And sitting next to her Kuwaiti cousin;

spacer.png

Next steps will be to remove the masking on the cockpit and then get her standing on her undercarriage, which should hopefully be a lot quicker than it took between the last post and this one!

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

And I have finally managed to get her finished.

I am afraid that she is missing anything in the form of whizz bangery but this kit didn't come with any outer hardpoints for the wings and my spares stash didn't have anything suitable either so she just gets the tanks, and the guns from a Hasegawa kit that had an upgrade with Quickboost guns (hardly any difference to be honest). I decided to paint the tanks in the more usual RNZAF SEA colours to add a bit of difference to the final look of her, there are plenty of pics showing this camo tank on an aircraft in the old RAN colours. Whilst not my best result I am quite happy with how she looks and I can see myself re-visiting RAN and RNZAF Skyhawks in the future though probably with a more modern kit, I still have quite a few options left on the excellent Gekko Graphics decal sheet.

Anyway here a few pictures of her, I shall add some ore in the gallery;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So a big thank you to all who have popped by and offered advice and encouragement and an especially big thank you to our hosts Dennis and Pat ( @Corsairfoxfouruncle and @JOCKNEY) for hosting this fantastic GB that has seen some excellent models built, cheers guys. And as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2