1/32 X-15A-2 special hobby

LOX

Hello all.

Back again with some progress. The X-15 has received its coat of Vallejo primer.

My first thought was to give the model a black base coat, do some pre shading and paint it in its primary color.  When the paint is dry chose some panels and give them the same treatment but with a different shade of black .

But this model is pretty big so painting it black even without the weathering takes a long time. (I do not know how I am going to do this on my F-117)

So I decided to first chose the panels I want a different color, finish those so that the area I need to paint in its primary color is smaller. 

So this is where I am now. My base color is black with a bit of pre shading in white and then I used a variety of black colors. Nato black, tire black and black grey from Vallejo.

The difference of color is not that visible on the photos but it is there.

g5XvfQU.jpg

B4RGmOM.jpg

dApQkKo.jpg

c5Xgv9B.jpg

qcv5yVI.jpg

Edited by LOX
Spelling
  • Like 15

So here we are. And the X-15 is a black coat.

Things went smooth for a change, the difference in panel colors is better to see now and I am happy, I could not resist so I already put some decals on. They are extremely thin and I do not need to do much to let them follow the rivet holes and the panel lines.

I started with a black base, did some preshading and after that I needed a drink. The black base and the weathering took me a few hours. So after a day or two I did the rest of the painting.

After my Vallejo primer I must say I had no issues with the paint anymore. Not when handling the model and not by removing all the tape.

I am happy with the result, It is pretty impressive. Glad I did not stash this one.

I do notice tho that is is a dust magnet, you se everything on black.

hyQEMHp.jpg

KQHTgAp.jpg

n0MHegX.jpg

WaQTCan.jpg

4HJlGbY.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

The decals are in place. They are super thin so I had to be careful but overall it went smooth, I used decal micro set and micro sol to get them to follow the panel lines.

some photos ...

hXBPtNW.jpg

CbfbRDG.jpg

T2vNiXh.jpg

xzUD5MC.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi fellow modelers

We are back with a new post.

I applied some oils on the X-15, It is hard to see on the photos but it is there.

for the black parts I used a range of black and grey oils, mixed with some blue. And for the yellow decals I used yellow and orange to get some life in them and not to have a bright one tone yellow line.

I applied dots of oil and then spread it out on the pane I was working on. The goal was not solely to weather but more to bring some life and different tones in the black, black is black so I want to avoid that.

I also finished the dolly. It is good for now, but I will add more weathering to it later on.

HdoSykx.jpg

lzfdUFf.jpg

rggZuI3.jpg

n95r3tx.jpg

INfYZd6.jpg

rMkNUtr.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all, I am back with some updates. The X-15 is nearing its end, I am working on some details and finishing up on the external fuel tanks. I know the fuel tanks would have minimal weathering but I gave them some character anyway.

Here are some pictures, I hope you enjoy them.

I like the satin finish it has now, but I am thinking to give it a flat coat and try some weathering pencils on it. Not sure about that tho.

55cm of black X-15 awesomeness

p6hRyYa.jpg

hnewDg2.jpg

Cyq7ZxC.jpg

hHIu2oR.jpg

emrpdHQ.jpg

kd4kUUw.jpg

XWJxbNV.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Very, very nice work. I hope you don't change the finish for now, it was a metallic black metal aircraft so don't make it look too 'painted', I think you've got the right look to it already.

• Like 2

Looking very good!! Please don't do a flat coat, that would be the opposite of what's needed. As Alan said, it's largely a natural metal finish, just more like gunmetal.

If anything, the finish could be even a bit glossier than it is now.

Cheers,

J

• Like 3

On 7/21/2022 at 7:52 AM, Alan P said:

Very, very nice work. I hope you don't change the finish for now, it was a metallic black metal aircraft so don't make it look too 'painted', I think you've got the right look to it already.

On 7/21/2022 at 8:59 AM, JeffreyK said:

Looking very good!! Please don't do a flat coat, that would be the opposite of what's needed. As Alan said, it's largely a natural metal finish, just more like gunmetal.

If anything, the finish could be even a bit glossier than it is now.

Cheers,

J

I must agree with you, I will keep it like this. I am happy like it is now so why change it ?

• Like 3

I'm astonished by the quality and sensitivity of your colour work Tim, the attention to visual detail is quite simply stunning.

Nice to meet you btw!

Tony

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

LOX,

EXEMPLARY  build with a STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS  finish  to your unique model.

:heart:

:wow:

Kudos. 

:worthy:

I dont know if anyone answered your question  about the metal dome at the rear... anyway it is a Helium Tank.

The Helium tank which was(used) to pressurise Ammonia & essentially  fill the space left after the fuel was burned as Helium is itself inert  and will NOT react much.

Hope that helps.

:thumbsup:

HOUSTON.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2022 at 5:44 PM, HOUSTON said:

LOX,

EXEMPLARY  build with a STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS  finish  to your unique model.

:heart:

:wow:

Kudos. 

:worthy:

I dont know if anyone answered your question  about the metal dome at the rear... anyway it is a Helium Tank.

The Helium tank which was(used) to pressurise Ammonia & essentially  fill the space left after the fuel was burned as Helium is itself inert  and will NOT react much.

Hope that helps.

:thumbsup:

HOUSTON.

No I did not know this until now. Thanks you 👍😄