1/72 Revell Spitfire Vb first go at paint chipping

Hi all, 

Just completed my Revell Spitfire and I’ve got to say it was an enjoyable build apart from one awful wing to fuselage join. 

This is the first model where I’ve tried a chipping technique. My method of choice was to use my standard 01 Humbrol Primer and then to apply a little Humbrol 56 aluminium to the parts that I wanted to appear metal. These were then covered with maskol applied with a scouring pad to help get a random pattern. Once the maskol was dry the upper coats were applied. Once the gloss had been applied I applied the decals, weathered lightly around exhausts, gun ports, flap and aileron hinges, further coat of gloss and then matt overall.

Pretty happy with how it turned out overall 

50918850753_6c6ff5a5e6_b.jpg

50918850813_38a72489c0_b.jpg

50919674497_07eb6ca1ba_b.jpg

50919798167_fef9d84109_b.jpg

50919544756_7025c62b67_b.jpg

50919674557_b9e0681b55_b.jpg

As ever comments and criticism welcome.

Thanks for looking,

James

• Like 22

Hi James,

beautiful build and kudos for the chipping! Congrats!!!

I believe I did build the same kit years ago under the label Pro Modeller. Very nice kit, but lacking the gull wing effect on the underside fuselage-wing junction.

Unless I am blind, I cannot see it on your model, so I believe we have built the same kit.

I love the paint scheme you chose.

Cheers

JR

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jean said:

Hi James,

beautiful build and kudos for the chipping! Congrats!!!

I believe I did build the same kit years ago under the label Pro Modeller. Very nice kit, but lacking the gull wing effect on the underside fuselage-wing junction.

Unless I am blind, I cannot see it on your model, so I believe we have built the same kit.

I love the paint scheme you chose.

Cheers

JR

Thanks for the comments and I'm glad the chipping has some fans as well as me, might be something that I use on a few more models. Some of the models are going to be nice and clean though, such as special tails or display colours as I feel that they look amazing straight out of the spray shop.

The under fuselage-wing join on this one was rather shocking with quite a large gap that required a decent amount of filler to sort out, it was almost as if the mould had seen heat at some stage and had wrinkled upwards a little bit. Was a bit worried about it but think that it blended in ok.

The colours were from the http://www.theworldwars.net/resources/resources.php?r=camo_rafww2 which I have found to be pretty good for all the models that I have done so far, let's hope it keeps being quite accurate for the upcoming more modern RAF and US ones

• Like 1

Hi James, 

Just some mild constructive comments if I may and while you've done a fine job on the paint, it's all about attention to little details to try to represent a more holistic wear and tear pattern all over the airframe. You've done some paint scuffing and gun residue which implies a high mileage airframe but the exhausts look like they're new and have just been unwrapped from the packing. Perhaps they have as it's your model and you're inventing the backstory ;) Take a good look at contemporary photos to see where Spitfires showed abuse, like around the Dzus fasteners on the engine cowlings, all the panels behind where bit's lay that need to be serviced etc they'd show wear.  Lastly, you've left the pins from the mould on top of the exhausts so they're not recessed far enough into the cowling, the light on top of the fuselage just behind the aerial mast has been painted over and you've missed the wing tip lights. Hopefully that's encouragement rather than dis but I think with the super job you've done on the paint, a few more minutes and you'd raise the level a notch.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1