コンボイ (JGSDF Convoy)

@bootneck.....Gotta build 'em some time (but like I said elsewhere, bear with me, it's been a while).  :whistle:

aoshima-1-72-jgsdf-3-1-2t-truck-with-add18610_rd.jpg

00997__36804.1596835041.1280.1280.jpg?c=

Probably a couple of others.

The wheels of these kits are singularly horrible IIRC, but given the sheer number of them that I have, resin replacements are not really an option.....Gonna have to get creative.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

I like that tank transporter, what you got planned sarge cast your own wheels ?

Or resin print them 

Nothing quite so technical fella, suspect I'll fill them with Milliput, paint them and hope for the best.

18 hours ago, RichO said:

Alright!  Many trucks with many wheels.  I love it already.  I'll check back.

Ha!  You should see the sheer number of MAZ & KAMAZ trucks I have in the stash now (including three tank transporters and enough ballistic missiles to lay waste to a continent)

On 2/7/2021 at 7:16 PM, bootneck said:

Wow! that heavy tank transporter looks the business.

It's an OK kit TBH, but compared to equivalent Modelcollect or Takom kits it's pretty basic (& even slightly half-hearted).....You'll see once I get those wheels out!

Slowly getting myself organised.....So many of my paints, glues and other essentials have dried up, it's heartbreaking, probably only used most of them once or twice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Nothing quite so technical fella, suspect I'll fill them with Milliput, paint them and hope for the best.

Possibly a silly question but, "fill with Milliput?" Are they soft rubber that'll squash and distort without a fill?

21 minutes ago, echen said:

Are they soft rubber that'll squash and distort without a fill?

Nope.....The lazy blighters have only moulded the front half of the wheels properly, the backs of all of them are hollow!  :doh:

Problem with me & projects like this, I can always find something that I suddenly 'need' to make them better.....I'm becoming very tempted by this (seems like a natural really):

spacer.png

& this could quite well end up joining the pile too (one can't have a convoy without outriders, after all):

1219968-27767-83-pristine.jpg

But then they might release this (just look at those figures):

1274360-27767-23-pristine.jpg

Guys.....I need your help!  Don't let me do it!  :please:

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Guys.....I need your help!  Don't let me do it!  :please:

Go on Sarge, you know you want to! 😀

They look like nice kits despite the wheel issue. Look forward to seeing these progress. A nice dio with them all in a convoy would be good 😉

Regards,

Steve

28 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

A nice dio with them all in a convoy would be good

That'd be really good but it'll certainly take up some space in the display cabinet! 😀

• Like 1

Andy - can you put some English in the title please dear, so folks have a clue what they're about to click on, rather than wondering whether they're going to be visiting some dodgy thread full of girls with massive... eyes, and no clothes on :rolleyes:

• Haha 4

• Sgt.Squarehead changed the title to コンボイ (JGSDF Convoy)
2 hours ago, RichO said:

Love the Recovery Vehicle.  Would make a great scratch project!!

It's a beast isn't it.  B)

I keep hoping someone would make a 1/72 kit of a crane on the MAZ-543:

701280e29100127c1a1b63d84ed9b330.jpg

The 1/35 model looks amazing:

9d0f3a166d211d96d6cc17d049d3921b.jpg

But I just don't have the skills for scratchbuilding a whole crane.  :fraidnot:

However, on a brighter note (in more ways than one), I did manage to get my paws on these:

1048387-12741-56-720.jpg

1276660-30425-16-pristine.jpg

I'm compiling quite a portfolio of reference pictures & I have enough spare MAZ-543 etch to properly go to town on at least one of them.....I even bought myself a MiG (as a little accessory to set off the proper models)!  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

On 2/9/2021 at 11:48 AM, fatfingers said:

Go on Sarge, you know you want to!

On 2/9/2021 at 5:29 PM, RichO said:

Love the Recovery Vehicle. 

You guys didn't help one little bit.....Because I found the damned thing on sale, with free delivery, and.....Well you know the rest already!  :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The recovery vehicle has arrived and at first glance it seems to be a bit of a step up in quality compared to the kits above.....The tyres are moulded in plastic again, but these have four parts each!  How well they'll go together remains to be seen.  :rolleyes:

On 2/11/2021 at 12:48 PM, bootneck said:

Stop it!  :nono:  You are almost getting me to change up to 1:72 scale!  :analintruder:

Do it!  :devil:

First kit's about to hit the desk, I'm starting small with the up-armoured 3.5ton truck, well It's Hobson's Choice TBH.....The other 3.5ton truck  kit has vanished!  :o

Pretty sure I remember buying it, along with a set of these:

246255-27767-28-pristine.jpg

Which were the original intended cargo for the transporter, way back when, until I found I didn't appear to actually have them.....I can't find either kit now!  :unsure:

Going back to the subject of JGSDF kits with s****y tyres, I was becoming rather tempted by one of Fujimi's newer offerings, the JGSDF Light Armoured Vehicle (it's a diminuative little MRAP thing), but then I saw this:

4968728723068_edb5b7a417d44c5d46b3ee4715

& thus, inevitably, this:

1329624-30425-18-pristine.jpg

The wheels of the Fujimi 3.5tonner are even worse than Aoshima's (look at the back of the front wheel):

4968728723327_5c7e368f086f8a08a4b68e9f88

Meh!  :shutup:

On 2/11/2021 at 1:07 PM, sandsmodels said:

those japanese defence force model look great, sadly uk stockist are hard to come buy and now with brexit we may have to pay more to get them imported.

they also seem to vary a lot in price on ebay which does not help.

You just have to wait a while, most of these kits are available at very reasonable prices from places like Jadlam & Model Hobbies.....The newer ones will be available in about six to twelve months at a guess, based on the arrival time for this lot. 

That being said if anyone happens to spot a Fujimi 1/72 JGSDF Type 87 SPAAG for sale anywhere in the UK.....Please let me know!  ;)

I have been going nuts over the Maz-543 with the crane photo.  I have a big 1/25 Maz of this type, but I need to find some references for the crane.  Could be the next scratch project!  Thanks Sarge.

I sure am glad that the photos you are showing us are bigger than the 1/72 models, probably wouldn't be able to see 'em.  The little Materials Carrier is very cool looking.  Looking forward to seeing you build 'em.

• 3 weeks later...