Italeri 1:72 A26B Invader, Biafra 1967

Here is an Italeri 1:72 A26B Invader, Biafra 1967.

The standard A26B was modified to represent the unique nose, the a/c had been used in France as a radar calibration/survey a/c. I had to improvise for the colours and decals. Both the rudder markings and the shark’s mouth being a mix of spray painting and decals.

This was the colorful Johnny Zumbach's mount in the early stages of the ill-fated Biafran secession attempt. This is one of two Invaders operated by the Biafrans with help from their friends. Inspired by the Helion Publishing title "Biafra- The Nigerian Civil War 1967-1970” It’s my second African Invader, the other being the Congolese A26K. Apparently there is also a B25 to be made in these colours but I have to find out more info.

20210207_155744.jpg

20210207_155808.jpg

20210207_155725.jpg

20210207_155847.jpg

20210207_160151.jpg

20210207_160722.jpg

Regards 

Brian 

• Like 32

Superb an interesting subject and nice build.

You may wish to try and find a copy of "Shadows" the airlift and Air war in Nigeria 1967-1970 by Michael Draper ISBN 9781902109633. Its a large format hardback with many previously un published photographs and a lot of colour profiles.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can also recommend Foreign Invaders - the Douglas Invader in foreign military and US clandestine service. Fascinating book, and shows just how widely used the A-26 was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jyguy said:

Superb an interesting subject and nice build.

You may wish to try and find a copy of "Shadows" the airlift and Air war in Nigeria 1967-1970 by Michael Draper ISBN 9781902109633. Its a large format hardback with many previously un published photographs and a lot of colour profiles.

Thanks for the information. I still kick myself for not getting it when it originally came out. In my neck of the woods its difficult to get hold of it. 

@danbuoy Idem ditto. There are second hand copies floating around but availability and postage tend to be an issue. 

Thanks for the tips 

Great build! Great subject! Love to see builds like this. 

African conflicts are a big interest of mine. Unfortunatly there's not much info or photo evidence to be had for the Biafran B25.  A couple of blurry pictures and some guess work on camo pattern.

Love to see more of your future project.

Paul

• Like 2

Thanks Pauly 

I have yet to see the blury fotos of the B25 but I have a photo of the other A26 so I will probably make that one as well. 

As for the other African conflicts if Helion Publishing keep pushing new titles I will be broke soon! They released 3 since Christmas. Their recent  re-release of the Biafra title includes artwork and the B25 is on the cover. 

Anything new I do I stick it up on here so keep your eyes peeled. 

Regards.

Brian 

• Like 1

Hi Brian

There was someone on ARC(Aircraft Resource Centre) who had built a Biafran B25 several years ago. Pretty good job! Check it out. While your on the Invader builds, how about a Portuguese one. Saw lots of service in Angola, Mozambique and Guinea.

Paul

1 hour ago, Pauly Boy said:

Hi Brian

There was someone on ARC(Aircraft Resource Centre) who had built a Biafran B25 several years ago. Pretty good job! Check it out. While your on the Invader builds, how about a Portuguese one. Saw lots of service in Angola, Mozambique and Guinea.

Paul

Yup Portuguese Invaders are on the old list. Am reading up on them. Rather impressive what such a small country was able to develop tactial doctrine and build the air organisation around it.