1/72 Trumpeter Antonov-2 Big Bipe

Hello all

Here is my latest, the Trumpeter kit of the An-2. It was completed using the Pavla resin cockpit and vac form canopy with the decals and scheme coming from the Lift Here Big Bipes sheet. The kits huge wing struts were replaced with scratch built items and the propeller was detailed with parts from the spares box to make a more accurate representation of the real thing. The rigging attachment points were made from spare etch seat harnesses and the substantial rigging from silver nickel rod.

I think replacing the canopy has made the biggest difference as the kit one is completely the wrong shape. Overall I’m pretty happy with it and it was fun to do a biplane for a change.

Hope you like it

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png                 spacer.png Although difficult to fit, worth doing I think.

Thanks for looking

Pete

• Like 47
  • Thanks 1

Fabulous model of this chunky anachronism!

We had one in the local flying club for sedately transporting parachutists to their departure altitude. That characteristic radial growl was a dead giveaway about what was up. Or rather, what was going to come down.

Superb modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

P.S. In 1987, my little town in Sweden was host to the European Parachuting Championship. The year before, our senior official in charge of the arrangement, visited a similar event in one of the eastern European states. He was invited to observe a drop from close up – in the seat next to the open door in an An-2.

As they were preparing for take-off, he was looking around for the seat belt, that was nowhere to be seen. One of the jumpers dug it out beneath his seat, and handed him the buckles.

At altitude, after all the jumpers had disappeared out the door, the pilot – apparently unaware that one passenger hadn't left the plane – made a playful spiraling descent and our official was grateful for his safety belt.

After the Antonov had come to a full stop, our official got up, climbed out on shaky legs and walked away to get out of the prop wash – still wearing the 'seat belt'.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, they are very much appreciated.

19 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Wow!  Great job.  Perhaps you explained it elsewhere, but how did you get the cockpit transparency to look so great? Alex

Thanks Alex. The cockpit tub, everything in it and the vacform canopy all come in the Pavla aftermarket set for the An-2. There was a lot of reshaping of the kit cowl where the front of the windshield fits to get the vac form canopy to conform and look right. Then lots of patience, superglue and filler to make it stay in place. The main reason it looks so much better is that the individual panes in the replacement item are the correct shapes and sizes. The kit offering is completely wrong.  Other than adding windscreen wipers and painting the frames I didn't do anything else to it.

11 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

After the Antonov had come to a full stop, our official got up, climbed out on shaky legs and walked away to get out of the prop wash – still wearing the 'seat belt'

What a great anecdote😮😅 We have a periodical here called the Readers Digest, you could get 25 quid for that one😁

• Like 1

Beautiful build @Pete in a shed, Congratulations...

8 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Thanks Alex. The cockpit tub, everything in it and the vacform canopy all come in the Pavla aftermarket set for the An-2. There was a lot of reshaping of the kit cowl where the front of the windshield fits to get the vac form canopy to conform and look right. Then lots of patience, superglue and filler to make it stay in place. The main reason it looks so much better is that the individual panes in the replacement item are the correct shapes and sizes. The kit offering is completely wrong.  Other than adding windscreen wipers and painting the frames I didn't do anything else to it.

Didi you do any WIP article / posting for this model?

I wonder how did you avoid getting the superglue fume from icing the vacform canopy? 

Cheers,

Mario

Many thanks for the nice comments guys.

9 hours ago, Lifeline said:

Didi you do any WIP article / posting for this model?

I wonder how did you avoid getting the superglue fume from icing the vacform canopy?

Hello again Mario

Sorry, no WIP for this one.

With vac form canopies I first check how the plastic reacts with the glue using a trimming. If ok I spend a lot of time fitting the canopy so it needs as little glue as possible, then hold it in place with tape. Then I dip the tip of a wire in super glue and carefully place a small drop where the canopy and kit are touching. I let each point dry for a few minutes before repeating this. I only do enough drops of super glue to secure it, then I use milliput filler in the remaining gaps smoothed with a wet finger.

Cheers

Pete

14 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Looks like she could hump your modelling gear to and from remote locations!

Now there's a fine thought🤔

• Thanks 1