Tortoise A39 (1/35 Meng) (If your going to do a tank, do a TANK)

APA

From a tiny Tilly to the behemoth of the Tortoise. I'm not a fan of 'What ifs' but I think  a possible is ok. This is going to be set somewhere in Northern Europe in the late 1940's. 

20210207_092717

The build is initially a swift one with the only issue of the requirement for about 5 sets of hands to assemble the boggy sets. After the first couple I got the hang of it and they all went on ok and look flat(ish) on the ground.

20210207_123210

20210207_123242

20210207_123230

The barrel was a little warped from the box but some gentle bruit force sorted it out and with a one piece mould it scrubbed up nicely.

20210207_134956

Hopefully it won't take too long to finish the beast off and get to the painting. I've got the Eduard PE kit which isn't too OTT like some so most of that will end up on here.

Cheers all

A

• Like 18

A beast of a kit, only the British could do something this bonkers, this and the Churchill Toad mine flail have a very strange appeal, no plastic kits of the Toad yet though I think, only resin conversions, Meng do the Toad!

Matt

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

I reckon the U.S did sumit equally bonkers with the doom turtle T28 

That's a very good point yes, the American T28 was bonkers with a heavy dose of madness piled on top, but looks very cool indeed ;)

Matt

• Like 2

Nice start on the beast. It's one of Meng's best kits.

If you're building it as a production vehicle, don't forget to sand off the moulded triangle on front right of the casemate. It was a warning plate fitted to prototypes to indicate they were built from mild steel instead of armour plate.

Andy:cat:

• Like 3

Hi Andy

Yes I was aware of that 👍 there is also the large cast plaque on the rear of the casemate. This, I think, is also a prototype thing however I have plans to hide that bit 😉

I've been thinking of how it would change in production. There would be hundreds of eyelets to hang stuff plus more storage areas. Plenty to get my teeth into and no one can say I am wrong 😜

A

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2021 at 22:52, Courageous said:

I built this monster years ago when it was first released. Can't remember anything of the build but you're making good strides with it. I'd like this in 1/72 but I'll be waiting a long time me thinks.

Stuart

Cromwell make one in resin - I picked it up from Matador Models at the last show I was able to attend before Covid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Nice start I'll follow along if you don't mind?

Stay safe                 Roger

Sure, more the merrier 👍something might happen this weekend 🤞

Andrew 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Thanks Ben but I can't see it in Matador's catalogue...

Stuart

Hi Stuart

It may be that they only take them to shows sadly. Could be worth trying to contact them, but I've never found Matador the easiest company to deal with online I'm afraid

• Like 1

All other prototypes except the mild steel one at Bovington had a spent case/reloading hatch on the left of the casemate towards the rear.  AFV Modeller used to do a resin one.  I believe the "plaque" on the back of the casemate is supposed to be the casting marks.

I did a "what if" MkIICS version a couple of years ago.  4.5" gun, rangefinder, 20mm Polsten, Brownings in the cupola, stowage boxes, reduced side skirts.  I always though this was more assault gun than tank destroyer and the 32pdr an odd choice for the role.  The US found the 155mm M12 to be their best bunker-buster.

spacer.png  spacer.png

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

All other prototypes except the mild steel one at Bovington had a spent case/reloading hatch on the left of the casemate towards the rear.  AFV Modeller used to do a resin one.  I believe the "plaque" on the back of the casemate is supposed to be the casting marks.

I did a "what if" MkIICS version a couple of years ago.  4.5" gun, rangefinder, 20mm Polsten, Brownings in the cupola, stowage boxes, reduced side skirts.  I always though this was more assault gun than tank destroyer and the 32pdr an odd choice for the role.  The US found the 155mm M12 to be their best bunker-buster.

spacer.png  spacer.png

Funny you should post this because I was going to quote your build as an inspiration. I've used a few of your ideas, particularly the lack of track covers. I was pondering the shell hatch and might have to attempt a scratch. I'll keep the gun and will be doing a hunter 😊

How did you do the camo net? 

Andrew 

Camo net is Old Skool.  Plasterers scrim soaked in diluted white glue and sprinkled with tea leaves after placing.  PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of feet of scrim if you like.  It's hard to find now, really only being used in historic restoration work, and only comes in lifetime-sized rolls.  

Not a great deal to show but quite a bit of work done over the last couple of days.

90% of the kit parts are either assembled or fettled. In addition a few dents and dings in the storage at the rear, the fenders have been bent a bit, the prototype triangle removed (Post this pic) and the side skirts have had the central inspection covers removed. This is to emulate what they did on Churchills.

20210221_180621

Yes the knife did slip when cutting the cover out 😩 The skirts have been thinned down to a suitable thickness as well.

20210221_180700

20210221_180634

Next is all the replacement handles, pipework, bits and bobs detailing, PE and tracks. Oh and some of the return rolles which I was hoping not to bother putting in but now I've removed the track covers they will be on show. I'll have to scratch build a barrel for the hull gun as it went ping early on!

The overall effect is going to be lots of camo netting draped over it, some wire mesh hanging over the removed track covers (To stop the camo netting getting tangled up) and a canvas covering for the mantlet.

Cheers All

Andrew

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. Struggling for time at the mo but have managed to finish all the kit parts and all of the PE. I must stop getting obsessed about PE aftermarket kits. As good as they are they do seem to be rather excessive and unnecessary. Half of the PE parts are either pointless or too thin compared to the kit. I did a selected amount or those that I could be bothered to do.

20210307_173631

The aftermarket shell ejector hatch is very nice, with very little clean up, arrived promptly, went on well and at a reasonable price to boot. What's not to like! I also added my first 'What if' adaptation. A mesh covering for the, I assume, air intake. I'm sure there would have been many such additions to a full production model, the prototypes being very paired down.

20210307_173642

I was a little worried about using the kit external pipe work however it worked well. I cut all the sprues well back just to free them from the main spru. This allowed them flexibility. Then a close cut to free them properly. A quick scrape with the knife and they went on. A drop or two of extra thin glue took what little seams were there and job done.

20210307_173620

20210307_173616

Next is a little clean up along the skirting and add the bolt holes, add wire rails around the top (To hang all the camo netting from), hooks to hang the mesh over the skirting gaps and a mantel canvas cover as was the fashion of the time.

Thanks for watching as usual.

Andrew

• Like 11