Apollo 11 Columbia & Eagle

Well this build will be only the 2nd model I've built in 40 years !  The first is here. I've always been fascinated by NASA and particularly the Apollo missions, so when I saw this fairly cheap kit by Revell I thought it would be a great model to build. Having just built a very recent Revell kit in the form of their 1:24 Land Rover Mark III I must admit I was surpised and a bit shocked by the standard of this kit, both in terms of the amount of flash and the fact that there is a lot of detail that is wrong or missing. A little bit of research (which I probably should have done before buying the kit) reveals the mold for this model was actually produced in 1967.....2 years before man even reached the moon ! So it's hardly surprising the kit is lower quality than the Land Rover and that they didn't get all the detail right. Two of the most obvious differences between this model of the Apollo 11 spave craft and the real ones can be seen by comparing a pic of the real Columbia and Eagle and the Revell Box- art below.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The three main areas I feel like I need to do something about are 1) the number of raised lines on the main Columbia engine nozzle (only two on the real vehicle, but three on the model) 2) The lack of the white panels on Columbia which I believe were Environmental Control Radiator Panels (larger ones) and Electrical Power Systems Radiators (smaller ones) and 3) since I want to display the models separately on the base provided, I also need to add the docking mechanics. I've never scratch built or amended a plastic kit in my life and this is only my second model in 40 years...so no doubt it will be a learning process ! Thankfully I have learned a great deal in a short space of time by reading threads on this forum and watching lots of videos on Youtube...so I have some decent tools and at least some theory about how to go about building a decent model...this will be the story of me trying to put it into practice !

Here is basically what you get in the box. 

spacer.png

Edited by worcesterjohn
  • Like 6

Ok an update...I was getting on quite well with this model, despite the amount of flash and my lack of skill and dexterity at removing it neatly. The windows were in the return capsule (you have to cut them out of a sheet of clear acetate) and the capsule was built and primed (not a lot of point in spending time getting the interior neat, as it's impossible to see in through the tiny windows). I had also built the main body of the Columbia and had a go at using Mr Finisher ( a new purchase) to tidy up the seams. Everything was then primed in grey. 

spacer.png

Even more impressive, I seemed to have done a pretty decent job of removing the extra raised line on the main engine nozzle using Ultimate Modelling Products "Thinny Sticks" to sand it right off and then get the surface back to a nice glossy finish and ready for a coat of matt black. My first time doing something like this and I was really pretty pleased with the result.

spacer.png

Cool I thought this is going to be easier than I envisaged....then Oops we have hit a major snag ! 🙄 I discovered that one of the Eagle lander top leg supports was broken on one side and very weak (wouldn't support the model) I tried repairing this with superglue and thought I had succeeded, but it disintegrated during the foiling process. I now have a unique Tripod Eagle Lander ! ..Houston We Have Problem !  The pieces are so thin and there is a lot of flash to clean off which is very hard for a inexperienced modeller like me (for that read ham-fisted) and a repair is now no longer possible. I've dropped Revell a message via their online replacement parts form, but I don't expect a quick resolution. 

spacer.png

The Unique Nasa Apollo 11 Tripod Lander above !

Here is the piece that broke off and disintegrated

spacer.png

My attempts at cleaning up the flash on these delicate parts looks even worse when you zoom in with a camera and make them bigger than life size..so please don't snigger at my lack of skill ! ☺️

So my attempts to build a craft capable of landing on the moon have hit the buffers and I'm going to have to wait for Revell to come back to me I think (unless anyone else has a genius idea of how I can salvage things.

The good thing is that I have a lovely Revell F104 Star Fighter kit to start building instead that I'm going to try to produce in original NASA colour scheme (like my avatar) so right now I'll pause this build and try to use my experiences to do a better job of the F104. Upwards and onwards 😀

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

great work so far - that's a real shame with that outrigger, but I'm sure Revell will replace, I've always found their spares service to be really good. If you don't have any joy, I could probably print a set of fully made up outriggers .

On 2/14/2021 at 6:03 AM, worcesterjohn said:

The good thing is that I have a lovely Revell F104 Star Fighter kit to start building instead that I'm going to try to produce in original NASA colour scheme (like my avatar) so right now I'll pause this build and try to use my experiences to do a better job of the F104. Upwards and onwards 😀

spacer.png

Do you have the decals ? I have an old Two bobs set for this scheme and its been on the Back-burner forever. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

13 hours ago, andymoore said:

great work so far - that's a real shame with that outrigger, but I'm sure Revell will replace, I've always found their spares service to be really good. If you don't have any joy, I could probably print a set of fully made up outriggers .

Thanks Andy, great to hear your experiences with Revell spares have been positive, fingers crossed. To be honest having a chance to improve my skills before I start the build again will probably be a good thing for the finished model ! I've watched a lot of youtube videos and read lots of good advice on here, but nothing beats practice and learning from your mistakes...I'm learning quickly, because I'm making lots of mistakes !!