Eduard / Hasegawa 1/72 Liberator GR Mk.V Coastal Command

25 minutes ago, SaminCam said:

@rob85 - yes, you've got it, if I add a big enough balloon maybe I can get all three wheels off the floor?  @Planebuilder62 @Jens @Stew Dapple, thanks everyone! Not much space left in the fuselage as I've added a load of detail in the cockpit, compartment behind and bomb aimer position (I'm going to have a removable top fuselage section so this can be seen) but I've just half filled the nacelles up with tungsten shot and she's dipped her nose down. I can fit a bit more in here if necessary so I think it will be ok. It's becoming a heavy old model - good thing the wings fit really well otherwise they might have been getting a bit droopy. Hopefully get a bit of paint on the rear section tomorrow and will then post some more photos. Cheers! 

NOW your thinking!

• Haha 1

Dusted off the airbrush this evening and after putting down a base coat of black I've sprayed on a coat of alclad aluminium:

51213309851_40eb0e3c88_z.jpg

I'll leave the walls nmf but will paint the floor dark green and then paint the boxes, table, etc, etc with brush. I've also got more oxygen cylinders to paint yellow and add to the roof and walls. Not going to see much back here but the glimpse through the open hatches should be good!

• Like 11

Quick update! Have painted some wooden boxes and sprayed the oxygen bottles yellow. The other fuselage half is also masked and ready for the floor to be painted dark green 👍

51224205983_4688fce0d8_z.jpg

• Like 22

Evening all, nearly there with the rear compartment:

51238338194_ec88fda0f9_c.jpg

Happy with that, won't see much back here once it's closed up but I'll know it's there - should get a glimpse of the wood boxes and oxygen tanks through the open windows 🤪 ! There's a few bits and pieces to finish off but next big task is getting the bomb bay done. Thanks for dropping by! 

• Like 27

@Harry Lime @bigbadbadge @Cookenbacher @woody37 Thanks gents! I spent a lot of time in my youth painting Warhammer 40K figures and still have some "muscle memory" for the fine detail painting - just got to get better at the airbrushing and external paint job! 

I've assembled the Eduard bits for the bomb racks, there's 11 separate pieces in each of these but they do look a lot better than the kit part! There won't be any bombs in the 'bay so the extra detail will actually be visible! Nearly ready for some paint to go on now:

51240986697_791b7ea314_z.jpg

• Like 14

Bomb bay primed, sprayed with Alclad and gloss coated so looking shiny! Two halves dry fitted here:

51244024367_7c9eb06151_z.jpg

The plan is to let this dry well and then hairspray chip a top coat of grey. Inspiration for this is the Kermit Weeks B-24 Tour on YouTube which I'm sure lots of you have seen (check it out if you haven't) - this shows an un-restored interior with grey bomb bay which is very chipped and weathered showing the metal underneath. I know there is a huge amount of debate on B-24 interiors (even more so on the coastal command ones?) but this'll work for me!     

• Like 14

I hacked together a bomb sight to pop in the nose of the Liberator. It's based on the Norden type, not sure if this is what they would have been equipped with but I can live with it... The black ball is tungsten shot - every bit of counter-weight as far forward as possible helps!    

51246220966_5047449b77_w.jpg

• Like 13

Morning all! I got a bit of time at the bench over the weekend so progressing things slowly. I finished off the bomb sight with a coat of sprayed black paint and then some drybrushing to bring out the detail. This was then glued into the nose section where it should be nicely visible through the front glazing:

51261962489_f089bb8c00.jpg

I'm also more or less there with the bomb bay. This was painted medium grey and chipped using the hairspray method. I then did a bit of detail painting before applying some oil washes to grub it all up a bit. Happy with this, the Eduard detail set is worth it here, especially as its not going to be loaded with any ordnance: 

51260490452_cd6c081cb5_z.jpg

and with both halves together:

51261216506_8859b7bee4_z.jpg

So I'm finally nearly done painting the interior - a few little bits to finish off here and there but hopefully I will get her buttoned up in the next week or so. Thanks for dropping by! Sam

• Like 19

@Stew Dapple @Harry Lime Thanks gents! Nearly ready to close up now so thought I'd better do some work on the front undercarriage. Inspired by @Navy Bird 's efforts I wanted to improve on the kit offering but instead of starting from scratch, which Bill has done brilliantly on his PB4Y-2, I whittled away with a drill and sharp knife to form the individual struts. Not perfect (not as good as Bill's!) but they'll do since not much will be visible - I also added a little extra bit of plastic so that the main strut carries the weight - dry fitted it all feels fairly sturdy (famous last words with all that extra weight?!?). Quick question: what do people think about colour of the landing gear? Should it be aluminium or perhaps white to match the undersides? Any ideas greatly welcomed! 

51268191904_c39a99094c_z.jpg

• Like 8

Afternoon all! I've finally finished the interior of the Liberator and thought I'd grab a couple of snaps in the photo box before she gets closed up. The last few bits were to add the open hatches in the rear compartment which are painted white to match the eventual outside colour, finish off a bit of weathering on the side walls in the front and paint and glue in place the front landing gear:

51272278403_fca3c1d98c_c.jpg

Interior details in the nose - I'm hoping some of these will be visible as I'm going to have a removeable top nose section, held on with a magnet which you can see behind the instrument panel:

51273128560_9f7e848047_c.jpg

Just spotted that I've missed a few wires on one side of the instrument panel - bit more work to do!. The details are a mix of the Eduard etch, quickboost oxygen bottle and my own scratch made bits and pieces:

51272097826_f31e956c68_z.jpg

Working backwards the detail in the bomb bay is all provided by the Eduard etch set which go in easily and adds lots of interest once painted up:

51272828964_316e8024bc_z.jpg

Finally, in the rear compartment I added fuselage frames, wooden boxes and the ammo belt along with the lovely yellow oxygen bottles. You can't really see much through the open hatches so I haven't gone crazy with weathering or adding wires to the walls but the things that are there definitely give a nice sense that the model has an interior: 

51273128450_212087373f_z.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the fuselage halves together before the end of the weekend and then I'll turn my attention to assembling the main wings. Thanks for dropping by!

• Like 27