Eduard / Hasegawa 1/72 Liberator GR Mk.V Coastal Command

Fantastic work, you can get jealous and that in 1/72. Absolutely perfect for me and Ispire at the same time. Udo

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2021 at 5:58 AM, SaminCam said:

Pretty much there with the interior of the front section, it's been weathered with oil paints and dry brushed plus the seats glued in along with the Eduard seat belts included in the kit. Last bit of detail to add is a scratch built bomb sight at the front but might come back to that once progress made on the bomb bay and rear compartment (it's bound to get knocked off!). 

51134362957_9e305cd6d4_z.jpg

51134362987_66fe394561_z.jpg

51135818314_8b4cb530f7_z.jpg

Wow wow wow. I hope much of this remains visible when all is said and done, it's epic!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! Got a bit more of the innards done over the week: 

51178875491_62bcd446b6_z.jpg

The gun isn't glued yet, will go on towards the end so it doesn't get snapped off! The ammo feed is made from bits of stretched sprue glued on swann morton blade foil, plus a bit of ali tape, enjoyed that! Hopefully get a bit more done over the weekend though mostly repeating the work on the opposite wall so not very exciting... Off to the pub now!

• Like 20

@James G @bigbadbadge, thanks gents! Work in progress on the last bit of the rear compartment - you can see my tools of choice for this work here: a small steel ruler and sharp knife. I tend to use thin plastic card as it's much easier to cut straight pieces and for thickness I build up in a few layers - everything is glued with tamiya extra thin. I also like using stretched sprue to add detail and you can see on the floor I've added corrugations which will hopefully paint up nicely with washes and a bit of dry brushing.

51182994596_0872fcbde7_z.jpg

Thanks for dropping by! Sam

• Like 15

Nothing too exciting to show this weekend, nearly finished the framing at the back:

51199044425_fb2e40e4e9_z.jpg

I've been doing lots of dry fitting to make sure the frames don't interfere, so far so good! Main bits left to do back here are the ammo box and feed on the port side and the hatches opened inwards on both sides. Not a million miles off getting some paint on! Cheers, Sam

• Like 20

Evening all, thought you might like to see the ammo belt coming together in a bit more detail. I start off with foil from a swann morton blade packet, double it over and super glue to make a bit stiffer:

51200890006_ab346d80fc_w.jpg

The cartridges are cut from stretched sprue, this is of the "thick" variety, stretched slowly, wouldn't be using this for antenna wire on a spitfire! 

51200175032_2aa2f71ea5_w.jpg

I don't worry about cutting to a consistent length at this stage; super glue used to fix to the foil backing:

51201667949_e684aeaf37_w.jpg

Once they're all on I add ali tape to the front and trim the edges with a sharp blade to neaten up:

51200889901_63c1a118f1_w.jpg

Then carefully bend into something close to the right shape and super glue on to the ammo box:

51201952905_00dd4befd7_w.jpg

Final shaping to get the belt to meet up with the gun will be done once the super glue has properly dried - the part is quite flexible but holds its shape well too. Et Voila!

• Like 28

This would take me an age to replicate and you're all like 'Et voila' 😂😂😂

Completely transformed this kit into a mega-detailed miniature, I'm very impressed!

• Haha 2

On 5/24/2021 at 3:20 PM, SaminCam said:

Evening all, thought you might like to see the ammo belt coming together in a bit more detail. I start off with foil from a swann morton blade packet, double it over and super glue to make a bit stiffer:

51200890006_ab346d80fc_w.jpg

The cartridges are cut from stretched sprue, this is of the "thick" variety, stretched slowly, wouldn't be using this for antenna wire on a spitfire! 

51200175032_2aa2f71ea5_w.jpg

I don't worry about cutting to a consistent length at this stage; super glue used to fix to the foil backing:

51201667949_e684aeaf37_w.jpg

Once they're all on I add ali tape to the front and trim the edges with a sharp blade to neaten up:

51200889901_63c1a118f1_w.jpg

Then carefully bend into something close to the right shape and super glue on to the ammo box:

51201952905_00dd4befd7_w.jpg

Final shaping to get the belt to meet up with the gun will be done once the super glue has properly dried - the part is quite flexible but holds its shape well too. Et Voila!

Et voila indeed... wow.

• Thanks 1

Inspired by @Stew Dapple's fantastic double Liberator build I thought I should get mine dry fitted and up on its landing gear to see if there is enough weight in the nose yet... The short answer is no! The tamiya extra thin is preserving her dignity here as she's still a tailsitter and I'll continue to pack more tungsten shot away wherever I can find a spot. I don't think too much more is needed but the problem is all of the good locations have been used and I'm moving closer to the pivot point so having less effect. Could do some sums on this but easiest just to keep adding weight until it's sorted! Anyway, this was a good excuse to get it assembled and love how the Liberator looks. Photo might also nudge me towards a tidy up of the work bench, there is stretched sprue and plasticard everywhere!

spacer.png

• Like 21

She looks majestic. Fortunately tail sitting libs aren’t that noticeable as the all turret is so close to the ground!

I hope you don’t mind but I’ve stolen all the work you have done to help with my lib build when I start it. Really nice detail in the waist guns.

Rob

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rob85 said:

She looks majestic. Fortunately tail sitting libs aren’t that noticeable as the all turret is so close to the ground!

I hope you don’t mind but I’ve stolen all the work you have done to help with my lib build when I start it. Really nice detail in the waist guns.

Rob

Thanks Rob! Happy to help, loving your work so far on the B-17 and looking forward to your Liberator getting started. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

The ammo belt info is fantastic, thank you for sharing that.  Re your tail sitting,  can you get any in the nacelles behind the engines, if you don't need too much, it might just help a bit???

Chris

Absolutely Chris - can definitely squeeze a bit into the nacelles - I might also give the tungsten putty @Stew Dapple has used a go to maximise the weight in the places where I've already glued the shot. I like the idea of this securing the shot as well so it doesn't develop a rattle one day! Cheers, Sam

• Like 1

Hi Sam, yes I was a little concerned when I saw how much noseweight Hasegawa recommend and to be honest I'm surprised I managed to fit enough in... but in the worst case scenario if you are unable to get it to sit on it's wheels you can always make a 'dispersal/hard stand' base for it and add a block under the hydraulic tail-skid to prop it up, just like they did in real life :) Or pin the nosewheel down to the base?

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

How about glueing a micro magnet into its nose wheel and placing it over a suitable plate of metal?
Unless the nose wheel is hollow and you can fill that with weight too (I did that on my Monogram B-24).

Jens

• Thanks 1

Dear Sam

I have built 3 Liberators and its hard to see even the pilots seats through the canopies. How about?
1. Use modellers license and build up the floor under the dorsal turret with ballast.

2. Araldite lead flashing to the rear face of the bulkhead into the bomb bay.

3. Add ballast to the inner face of the nose transparecy.

regards Toby

• Like 1

@rob85 - yes, you've got it, if I add a big enough balloon maybe I can get all three wheels off the floor?  @Planebuilder62 @Jens @Stew Dapple, thanks everyone! Not much space left in the fuselage as I've added a load of detail in the cockpit, compartment behind and bomb aimer position (I'm going to have a removable top fuselage section so this can be seen) but I've just half filled the nacelles up with tungsten shot and she's dipped her nose down. I can fit a bit more in here if necessary so I think it will be ok. It's becoming a heavy old model - good thing the wings fit really well otherwise they might have been getting a bit droopy. Hopefully get a bit of paint on the rear section tomorrow and will then post some more photos. Cheers! 

• Like 3