Eduard / Hasegawa 1/72 Liberator GR Mk.V Coastal Command

Quality of the exterior painting matches that of the interior building -  and that’s praise indeed :D

Lovely example of black basing Sam - a lot depends on personal taste - but that looks just right to me.  I particularly like the top surfaces - just cos I think it can be harder to get the look right on a camouflaged surface than a single colour one.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fritag said:

a lot depends on personal taste - but that looks just right to me.

I must echo my tasteful colleague's words here, and for identical reasons Sam.

Lovely to see work of such uniform subtlety produced within and without such a large bird. 👏

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all! A belated thanks for all of the positive comments, I really appreciate it. Work and life have been busy the past few weeks so edging towards the finishing line on this one but still think I can get it done by Christmas! Mostly it's been flipped on its back and I've been working on the underside:

51712080520_7240c66145_c.jpg

The wings are just about finished now with wheels also glued in place - I added a metal pin to reinforce the join between the wheels and the undercarriage as she's heavy with all the nose weight added. The main exhaust streaks were sprayed on with thinned humbrol enamels and more grubbiness added with ground up hard pastels (like weathering pigment I believe) brushed on. I also added a bit of filtering with brown, white and black oil paints blended into the flat varnish with white spirit. Finally, taking inspiration from a rainy day on my bike, I added mud spatters from the wheels by flicking thinned oils from a brush. The turbochargers were finished off this morning:

51712080755_dc20d6be67_c.jpg

They were sprayed matt black then dry brushed with tamiya aluminium and bronze before getting the details picked out again with panel line wash. I think all of the extras I've used on this model are worth it but these and the wheels are a must, they make a big difference. Today I've also finished off the lights which were done with UV activated clear glue painted with tamiya clears:

51711200011_5bd25138fc_c.jpg

So all that's left is a little more weathering on the main fuselage, the props, the rear gun turret, a few fine details like the antenna coming out of the nose and some wires from stretched sprue to finish off. Thanks for dropping by and see you soon for the next (last?!?) installment. Sam

• Like 26

@SaminCam—amazing replica—I wish I had more to add, but I honestly be benchmarking you as a goal to achieve in a Liberator build—one question (months late—apologies)—reference your green mix for the cockpit—were you shooting to replicate a Bronze or Dull Dark Green—it looks fantastic!  I don’t know much about Liberator interior colors, but you and the team have clearly taught us a lot—again—jaw dropping build! 😎  Best, Erwin

On 12/4/2021 at 1:00 PM, VT Red Sox Fan said:

@SaminCam—amazing replica—I wish I had more to add, but I honestly be benchmarking you as a goal to achieve in a Liberator build—one question (months late—apologies)—reference your green mix for the cockpit—were you shooting to replicate a Bronze or Dull Dark Green—it looks fantastic!  I don’t know much about Liberator interior colors, but you and the team have clearly taught us a lot—again—jaw dropping build! 😎  Best, Erwin

Thanks Erwin, I'm really glad you're enjoying the build! I was going for a Dull Dark Green, though after reading a bit about the interior colours in B-24s it seems there was a huge amount of variation. My home brew mix was made up from mr color zinc chromate green with a drop or two of black and one drop of blue added in roughly 75:20:5 ratio.

I've nearly finished her now, here's a photo from a few days ago with the fuselage weathering done. Since I took this all the masking is off and I've been adding fiddly little bits of etch, doing a few touch ups and pretty much all that's left is the props. Cheers all! 

51726509556_41b08f046c_b.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Evening all! So 10 months after starting I think this is the last "work in progress" post on this build. Below you can see some of the final details which would inevitably have got knocked off if they'd gone on any earlier. These include the nose aerial, little probes on the side of the fuselage and the aerial on top. There's also a bunch of little bits and pieces that have been added on the underside. The remaining items on the to do list: light on LE (which I keep forgetting about), little blue lights on the rear fuselage (waiting for clear blue paint) and the props, then, I think, she's done, so the next post will hopefully be in RFI! 

51728808857_6797648a02_c.jpg

51728808772_1d22ec55a1_c.jpg

51728808682_0e9a0076cd_c.jpg

Thanks all for following along, the encouragement and advice you receive in this place is fantastic, cheers! Sam

• Like 26

And that, as they say, is that!

51744069747_814d942571_c.jpg

51744896676_a4de9dc824_c.jpg

I've really, really enjoyed this one and can definitely see more coastal command subjects getting built in the future. I hope you've enjoyed what I've done with the old girl and thank you for your patience as I've pottered along for the last 9 months! 

RFI to follow in a few days but first to tidy up the bench and decide what's next... Over and out, Sam

• Like 30